What's been the worst season for you? (Post 2006)

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
It's getting to the point where every month brings a new nadir. But, what's been the lowe point for you?

For me, it was last year--2013/14--with Eakins at the helm. I had a lot of optimism with MacT taking over the reins, not because I thought he deserved the job, but I was glad they got rid of Tambellini. And, damn it, MacT is/was MacT. I trusted him. However, that year led to a #27 finish with Hall's fourth season in the bag. Entering this year, I just had a feeling of resignation, whereas in MacT's first year I felt optimism then anger.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
This year for sure! I went into this season with moderate expectations of .500 win percentage and maybe 10th in the west.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This year.

Why? Because we kept Eakins to start it. I can somewhat "allow" 2013-2014 a bit since Eakins was getting in his groove [a horrible one at that but that's another story] but not this year.

After knowing what Eakins was, an egotistical POS, and MacT still wanting to keep him for half the season, just no.

He might as well have kept him all year and banked on either McDavid or Eichel at the draft because we all knew we weren't gonna get 50 pts if he stayed all season long.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This year.

It was finally the breaking point. I think I maybe watched 2 of the last 60 games.

Eakins killed the Oilers for me.

Hopefully there's something worth watching next season.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
2013-2014. It clearly showed my worst fears that Katz ignorance was going to destroy this organization. Lowe wasn't fired and then was allowed to hire a close friend instead of a competent manager. McT sacked Krueger who had gotten more out of the players than anyone before. The team needed consistency at the head coach position after years of turmoil. McT hired possibly the worst coach in league history. McT then decided to throw Dubnyk under the bus publicly seemingly destroying his psychy after he posted great number the previous year. He threw together a brutal blueline and didn't lock up our #1 D long term only to chase him out of town the next season.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
This year. Ask me again next year and I'll probably say the same thing. Each season is worse than the last.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My breaking point came when I know for 100% fact mact lied to us about the Petry negotiations. I know for a fact the moment Nikiten signed for 4.5 a year--Petry started to pack his bags and was ready to leave

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
My breaking point came when I know for 100% fact mact lied to us about the Petry negotiations. I know for a fact the moment Nikiten signed for 4.5 a year--Petry started to pack his bags and was ready to leave

That alone is fire worthy. Add the Eakins hire to it and he should be banned from the NHL.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
This year. My passion for this team has run dry. Without big changes in the off-season, the changes that we all know need to be done, I think this may be it for me. I'm done caring.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd have to go with 09-10 also. There was no potential for that team, no one to watch or cheer for. At least this year's team had Hall, RNH and Eberle as well as the emergence of Klefbom, Yakupov and Lander. Then there is still Nurse and Draisaitl in the pipe line with Brossoit looking like he's going to be good. Once Nelson took over the team was fun to watch again, the games were high scoring and the PP was working.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
This year.

Didn't watch a game after Christmas. Couldn't bring myself to follow the team, really. There was zero optimism.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
09-10 was the worst but we had something to look forward to that we'd never experienced before - potentially drafting #1.

This year the joy has just run out. I've found watching the team difficult for the last few years but now I just lost hope as well. We have the worst management in the league. I can't even argue against opposing fans. We have holes all over the lineup that I have no faith can be filled by current management. We don't even have the prospect pool to turn this thing around quickly. Just a depressing feeling. On the bright side of things, at least it frees up time to pursue other passions.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
I was surprised by the ineptitude of 13-14, not so much with this year.
After Last year I gave up, and this year I was apathetic, so I'll have to say last year.

HFOil's still pretty entertaining regardless!

Would you look at that. Toronto just cleaned house! Must be nice!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Last year. I was so frustrated as the season went on because mostly all of our players regressed under Eakins. I was also frustrated because I thought Eakins should have been canned in November of that season. Instead, the year was a write off. This season was less frustrating for me as I frankly don't give a **** anymore. I probably watched half the games (most of them under Nelson) whereas I usually watch all of the games. I predict next year I will watch 20 games max. After a while, you begin to question why you are wasting your time watching a terrible product instead of doing something more productive

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Without a doubt this year. It all came to a head for this team and for me.

This was the year that I finally lost hope that the current regime have any clue as to how to fix this mess. As crazy as it sounds, once upon a time I really did think MacTavish had it in him to be a good GM. Boy, was I ever mistaken.

From the very top, the management structure of this organization is a complete and utter disaster, full of the worst kind of idiocy: The arrogant kind. There's nobody that deserves an outright dismissal more than these old boys club members, but the one person that can make it happen simply refuses to do it. And on it goes.

Also, this year seems to have been the one that has truly broken the spiritual back of the fanbase. Even the gallows humour in past death marches to close a season out has run dry for the most part. Now it's just blank stares and futile hammering against prison walls, which is truly sad.

The one thing that still infuriates me though, is how the local media will dance around the topic of MacTavish and Lowe. They'll trash the team's record of playoff futility, trash Katz, trash coaches and especially players with impunity...but it sure is curious how rare it is that those two sacred cows get spared from any harsh criticism. It drives me crazy.

It's almost like they realize that there is an not-so-invisible line that they know they can't cross if they don't want their access to the team and the perks that go along with it immediately revoked. And no, I don't consider the latest scrawls from the Journal's Cult of Hockey blog, in particular Staples and Willis, to count for much. It's not like they have any access to take away, and I doubt the majority of Oiler fans (i.e. the non-hardcore fanbase that doesn't hang around internet message boards hours every day) care much about what Staples and Willis have to say.

On the whole, there's never been a worse time to be emotionally invested to this team, and I can't think of an Oiler team in my 35 years of watching them that was harder to like...not because of the players on the ice, but because of the ownership and management. They truly are doing long term harm to the entire Oilers brand that will take a long time to fix, and it seems like not a thing can be done to stop them. :help:

Stat Guy

Aug 30, 2014
This year was most disappointing by far.

First, We went into the season as being in contention for a wild card spot. No where near a Stanley Cup contender, but we were going to play meaning full games in Arpril!

Those hopes were dashed right off the get go, We were done by Novemeber (which we are used to, so no big shocker). The light at the end of the tunnel....we were SO bad and there are two 'franchise players' available in the draft, we will at least get a golden goose at the end of the season.
We aren't talking about the best player available, no offense to Nail Yakupov who would probably be the #7 pick this year, or RNH who would be a #4, or Taylor Hall who would be a #3...we are talking FRANCHISE PLAYER.

But as an Oiler fan, we couldn't even do this right. Once it no longer matter, we actually started playing respectable. (Not good...just respectable) But respectable was good enough to pass those who were obviously tanking despite having a huge headstart in the race to 30th.

Looking only at the play on the ice, this was not the worst year. There are many positives to be taken. Hall's off year is still good enough that he is still considered an elite LWer, RNH showed moments of being a low #1, high#2 centre. Yak rebounded enough under Nelson to show that he isn't a bust, although may never be a star. Klefbom showed he'll be an NHLer, we played 43 different players, and not many of them solidified themselves as being for sure non-nhler. (of course not many solidified themselves as being for sure NHLers either, but that can't be done in a handful of games)

So, I did not have a hard time watching the games. I found the product on the ice entertaining-enuf. This was not the Sebastion Bissalion season. But it is most disappointing!

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
13-14.

I felt like there was progress in 11-12 and 12-13. Still bad teams, but things were improving. They had good special teams, players were still exiting their ELCs. There was more hope. 13-14 ruined all of that.

At least this year I felt like the Nelson-days proved that the PP and Yakupov's struggles were safely pinned on Eakins. That's something I can take out of the season.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
This year. Mainly because I've realized that our rebuild sucks and our core isn't very good at all. Basically we've had 15 years of suck or middling results. Then the rebuild v.2 that started in 2010 has failed. I've also realized too that MacT is a horrible GM and him and Lowe will never get fired. I also know Edmontonians will continue to come out and support this team and no change will ever materialize.

Why bother witth this team then?

victor

Sep 6, 2003
This year.

If you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck.

Finally had a season that made me long for the Captain Shayne Corson, coach George Burnett year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad