What's been the worst season for you? (Post 2006)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The record the Oilers are chasing:

Florida 10 consecutive season playoff drought:

00/01 22 pts out of the playoffs
01/02 27 pts out of the playoffs
02/03 13 pts out of the playoffs
03/04 16 pts out of the playoffs
05/06 7 pts out of the playoffs
06/07 6 pts out of the playoffs
07/08 9 pts out of the playoffs
08/09 0 pts out of the playoffs (lost tie breaker)
09/10 11 pts out of the playoffs
10/11 21 pts out of the playoffs

Oilers seem to have more panache and flair in their playoff misses... already chalking up 6 seasons in the past 9 where they have missed by 20+ pts... and it's possible the 12/13 season might have been a miss by 20+ pts as well if it would have been a full season.

Oilers have already also chalked up three 30+ pt misses which the Panthers never were able to achieve.

Plus... the Panthers had that series of 4 seasons where they missed out by single digit amounts... culminating in the year when they missed by a tie-breaker. Hell you almost have to put an asterisk on their record after that.

The real feature of this Oilers string of putridness is they seem to be getting stronger as it goes on... it feels like this could go on for 2, 3, 5 years... hell who knows maybe another decade.

They have a real solid opportunity here to set a Gretzky type record... a record that no team within several generations will be able to reach... the type of record people look back on and marvel and think... wow that's something special that can never be replicated... that level of ineptitude, ego, stubbornness, stupidity, incompetence and arrogance within an organization for such a prolonged period will never be attained again within our lifetimes.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I think it will be the worst 2 seasons from now when the new arena is built and the oilers stink it up

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Next year won't actually be too bad for me - Now that I know there's no hope for the team as the a$$clowns on charge will never get sacked, I won't be that disappointed when they (again) screw up free agency, go into the season with gaping holes in the roster, and succeed as much as can be expected given the previous two statements.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Last year for me, I couldnt watch the games. Least some of the season got salvaged this year.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This season has been by far the most demoralizing season as an Oiler fan.

I realise I can't be a fan of this team until the management is gone.

Watching games have become a chore.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Last year I was probably the most angry - surprised with the Eakins hire, hoping for the best but expecting mediocrity. Didn't expect things to fail so hard.

But I still had some naïve hope that the Oilers would be able to become somewhat competitive fairly quickly - I think I picked them 10th in the West this year. :laugh:

This year was the worst season because I stopped watching. Probably the fewest number of games I've watched live or on TV in years, at least post-2006.

I simply don't see any easy answers for this team and I think, even if they draft McDavid, that they'll be a horrible team for years to come.

tennislovernate

Apr 14, 2015
This year, I'm sorry, was absolutely horrific. Eakins clearly was in over his head and MacT didn't really do much to help him over the previous off-season (I've had my reservations about him ever since he came to the helm as GM). Even under Nelson we didn't really do that well, I think it was more the acquisition of Derek Roy and the re-emergence of Nail Yakupov toward the tail end of the season that softened the blows a little bit.

The old boys club in the front office just makes everything worse. You have Kevin Lowe on one hand spewing nonsense about how anyone giving up on the team isn't a true fan and claiming that he's qualified to run the team because he 'knows a thing or two about winning', and on the other you have Craig MacTavish, who seriously must be deluding himself to truly believe in the canned baloney that he feeds the media. Especially yesterday. MacT's going to write off the entire next season as a 'development year' after he claimed that the Oilers were in the fourth year of a rebuild when he took over? What a joke.

Until they actually admit they screwed things up horrifically and clean house of the dynasty-era alumni, good luck to this organization keeping a loyal fan base. They might not have trouble selling tickets this year, maybe not the year after, but what about five or ten years down the road when their target demographic is a generation of fans who haven't really known much about the Oilers besides losing?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
last year there were some pleasant surprises. It seemed like goaltending was maybe improving, and Perron looked like a decent player. Eakins' system fell apart and there was some obvious holes to fill.

Then this year....starting with the Tkachev signing gaff....it was just apparent that Mac T was incompetent and doing nothing to fix anything....the ridiculous amount of games it took to get rid of Eakins....just watching him drive the season right off the cliff night after night....

and the absurdity of Mac T's core....Drai missing the WJC....Brad Hunt....Matt Fraser....Will ****ing Acton....Chabot....

just awful...

All good points that probably help me land on this year being the worst. 2009-10, there was at least the thrill of having an opportunity to draft 1st overall. 2010-2012, I could live with the suck as I bought into the rebuild. 2013 was a step forward. Meaningful games at the Trade Deadline. I also believed in MacT. 2013-14 was devastating, but I bought into the idea the goaltending truly sunk the team and thought the .500 post Christmas team could play .500 this year. Then gaffe after gaffe, followed by promise of changes (i.e. audit) followed by silence suggesting the audit is doing nothing and no change will happen.

Part of me thinks the players may ultimately redeem this management team somewhat as they will at some point start playing better, but at this point what management has done has left me feeling hollow and I don't know if I can ever truly be the 100% die hard fan I was before if these guys are still in charge if and when the team turns the corner.

That is what makes me truly sad. Oilers could luck out and make playoffs next year, but I still wouldn't be as happy if the current regime is still running the show as I can't forgive what they have done.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I would like to take this moment to retract my previous statement.

I was clearly wrong.

If I knew then, what I know now, I would not have made that statement.

That is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad