TSN: What's a realistic start date for the NHL to target?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You guys with the "season won't be played" make me laugh. NFL, MLB, MLS, NBA have all either completed their season, have their season currently going, or will start up shortly but the NHL is going to be the one that doesn't play. Ok then.

Get everyone into their home cities starting now, start training camp in a couple of weeks and start the season early January. What the hell are you waiting for? NBA finished later than the NHL and is already coming back this month. Get your heads out of your asses NHL/NHLPA and get this thing going. There are going to be cases but the other leagues have managed to contain them and keep their seasons going so the NHL will be no different. Let's go.

The Toronto Raptors are not allowed to play home games in Canada.

NBA, Toronto Raptors Denied Access to Play in Canada

The Toronto Raptors and other NBA teams will not be allowed to play games in Canada for the 2020-21 season, according to The Associated Press. ... The federal government dashed the plans for the Raptors
to play homes games in Scotiabank Arena, per the Toronto Star

Due to coronavirus travel restrictions in Canada, the Toronto Raptors will not be allowed to play home games at Scotiabank Arena for the upcoming NBA season, which begins on Dec. 22. CBC News' David Cochrane confirms that the Toronto Raptors will begin the next season playing in Tampa, Fla., after their request to play home games in Toronto was denied by the federal government. The Raptors will play out of 20,500-seat Amalie Arena, home to the Tampa Bay Lightning, the 2020 Stanley Cup champs.

How are the Leafs going to play home games if the Raptors playing out of the same building are not allowed to and the closed Canada/USA border prevents any American teams from playing in Canada in 2020-21 ?

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I crunched some numbers a while back and it seemed like the US and Canadian cable deals netted each team about $20 million or so. Give or take. Compared to the NBA which is far higher and you can see where the short fall is to the cap floor almost immediately. I don’t know what the other individual revenue sources would be but I imagine some teams could make a go of it and some would not. Also depending on the arena situation. Would also assume if there’s no season you’re not paying player salaries and operating costs, so you could maybe see teams being close to “net zero” in terms of monies. I dunno. Doesn’t seem like a great situation.

Plus that 20 million you mention is on a 82 game schedule.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Not sure which parts of Cali, but they have banned physical contact in sports. We are months away from getting the upper hand on this lousy bug.
With no fans, it doesn't really matter where you play. For example, if the Sharks can't play games at home for a few weeks due to the no contact thing, they could just play their 'home' games on the road and still be the home team.

Reactions: ToneDog

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The Toronto Raptors are not allowed to play home games in Canada.

NBA, Toronto Raptors Denied Access to Play in Canada

The Toronto Raptors and other NBA teams will not be allowed to play games in Canada for the 2020-21 season, according to The Associated Press. ... The federal government dashed the plans for the Raptors to play homes games in Scotiabank Arena, per the Toronto Star

Due to coronavirus travel restrictions in Canada, the Toronto Raptors will not be allowed to play home games at Scotiabank Arena for the upcoming NBA season, which begins on Dec. 22. CBC News' David Cochrane confirms that the Toronto Raptors will begin the next season playing in Tampa, Fla., after their request to play home games in Toronto was denied by the federal government. The Raptors will play out of 20,500-seat Amalie Arena, home to the Tampa Bay Lightning, the 2020 Stanley Cup champs.

How are the Leafs going to play home games if the Raptors playing out of the same building are not allowed to and the closed Canada/USA border prevents any American teams from playing in Canada in 2020-21 ?
You know the answer, or have you had your head in the sand for the last month?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
You guys with the "season won't be played" make me laugh. NFL, MLB, MLS, NBA have all either completed their season, have their season currently going, or will start up shortly but the NHL is going to be the one that doesn't play. Ok then.

Get everyone into their home cities starting now, start training camp in a couple of weeks and start the season early January. What the hell are you waiting for? NBA finished later than the NHL and is already coming back this month. Get your heads out of your asses NHL/NHLPA and get this thing going. There are going to be cases but the other leagues have managed to contain them and keep their seasons going so the NHL will be no different. Let's go.

The argument is that those other sports can sustain losses because they have huge TV deals, whereas the NHL does not. The fact that there are some owners who would rather not have the season be played because their losses would be less than if a season is played is telling.

I also think the 7 Canadian teams poses a bit of a logistical problem. Can't just plop them somewhere in the U.S. like the Jays and Raptors. And even with an all Canadian division, is it ideal that each team plays each other 8 times over the course of a shortened 48-game season? Then having to working out logistics of playoffs and the travel between the countries -- the league can't really draw up a schedule so far in advance without knowing the situation in both countries 6 months from now. The NBA themselves has only released a partial schedule.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The QMJHL just shutdown their season yesterday.. This does not bode well for NHL to open up when other leagues that were playing in a protected environment semi bubble and still some teams couldn't get in many games. Now that the Pandemic is spiking closing down rather than opening up seem more likely.

QMJHL shuts down until Jan. 3

The QMJHL will use December to regroup.

League commissioner Gilles Courteau announced on Monday the Christmas break will now run from Tuesday until Jan. 3 to give everyone a chance to come up with a revised plan for the second half of the season. “The current situation with the pandemic in the regions in which we operate makes it extremely difficult to play games,” Courteau said in a news release. “With the holidays just around the corner, the provinces in the Maritimes have restricted access and travel, while red zone restrictions in Quebec do not permit us to play.”

The strategy the league settled on leading into the season was to create three divisions based on geography and then have each of the six teams from each grouping play each other exclusively for the entire year. That worked well in the Maritimes up until about two weeks ago when cases started spiking in different cities across the region and the Atlantic bubble burst for the first time since its creation in late spring.

The Halifax Mooseheads were able to play 16 games before pausing their season last week, while the Cape Breton Eagles got 15 games on the books. The Rimouski Oceanic and Rouyn-Noranda Huskies were the only other QMJHL teams to complete 16 games, while every Maritimes Division team played at least 13. The Sherbrooke Phoenix had the lowest total in the league with just five games played and the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and Quebec Remparts only had eight each. The QMJHL season is usually 68 games long but was shortened to 60 for this year as part of the league's original COVID-19 plan.

The Ontario Hockey League and Western Hockey League have not yet played any games and are tentatively hoping to open operations in January.

QMJHL shuts down until Jan. 3 | The Chronicle Herald

No OHL until February 4th.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The argument is that those other sports can sustain losses because they have huge TV deals, whereas the NHL does not. The fact that there are some owners who would rather not have the season be played because their losses would be less than if a season is played is telling.

I also think the 7 Canadian teams poses a bit of a logistical problem. Can't just plop them somewhere in the U.S. like the Jays and Raptors. And even with an all Canadian division, is it ideal that each team plays each other 8 times over the course of a shortened 48-game season? Then having to working out logistics of playoffs and the travel between the countries -- the league can't really draw up a schedule so far in advance without knowing the situation in both countries 6 months from now. The NBA themselves has only released a partial schedule.

The losses of course are the real concern here. They may just choose not to play.

I don't think the Canadian division is a problem, if they do play though. Playing each other eight times isn't ideal, sure, but then we aren't in ideal times. It's still better than moving all the teams to the US. Particularly with any hope, that at some point, maybe fans can be at games, with reduced numbers.

The playoffs also isn't a problem. Have them played as division champs meeting at the Semi-Finals, so only one Canadian team would need to cross the border. I would imagine, that they'd all be tested multiple times, before going to the States, to play the last two rounds.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The playoffs also isn't a problem. Have them played as division champs meeting at the Semi-Finals, so only one Canadian team would need to cross the border. I would imagine, that they'd all be tested multiple times, before going to the States, to play the last two rounds.

Where would the Canadian Div winner play their home games in round #3 and SCF if they make it, once they enter the USA?

Its a 1-way street essentially, and no return possible, with guarantee rules and closed borders.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Where would the Canadian Div winner play their home games in round #3 and SCF if they make it, once they enter the USA?

Its a 1-way street essentially, and no return possible, with guarantee rules and closed borders.

I'm sure that there is an arena or two, that they could use. With no fans, playing at one arena could work, just like the bubble.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The US should make an exception and force them quarantine for two weeks before they play a game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The US should make an exception and force them quarantine for two weeks before they play a game.

Which wouldn't work, as they don't want the schedule to go into the Olympics... with a theory that there will be an Olympics.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This is the critical week to start any time in January.

I dont think Jan 1 is possible at this point. You need to give players a week maybe two heads up. Then you need to quarantine for another two weeks as players come to their cities from around the world. Training camp will not take place over the week of Christmas.

If they make an agreement in the next two weeks, then I see Feb 1st as the most likely start date. If a deal isn't done in two weeks, likely negotiations stop until the second week in January. At that point, you're into late February to start. Jan 15th seems like the cutoff for an agreement. If you don't have one by then, no season.

Usually deals ultimately get done. But this is one case where I could see the Owners saying were better off with no season.

Canadian division works fine. You can play through to the semi finals by staying in Canada. At that point you either have that team travel to a US hub city for the final four or play all their games in whatever city they would play against in the semis and again in the finals if they go that far.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Canadian division works fine. You can play through to the semi finals by staying in Canada. At that point you either have that team travel to a US hub city for the final four or play all their games in whatever city they would play against in the semis and again in the finals if they go that far.

I agree with these points. I was moreso thinking in terms of trying to put forth a schedule, particularly with the Olympics wrinkle. Granted, I can see the schedule being either open-ended or incomplete (like the NBA) to account for any blips along the way, which almost assuredly will occur.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
MLB, NFL, MLS, College football, college basketball, college baseball (they had fall practice and will likely have a season) can play but hockey cannot?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is the critical week to start any time in January.

I dont think Jan 1 is possible at this point. You need to give players a week maybe two heads up. Then you need to quarantine for another two weeks as players come to their cities from around the world. Training camp will not take place over the week of Christmas.

If they make an agreement in the next two weeks, then I see Feb 1st as the most likely start date. If a deal isn't done in two weeks, likely negotiations stop until the second week in January. At that point, you're into late February to start. Jan 15th seems like the cutoff for an agreement. If you don't have one by then, no season.

Usually deals ultimately get done. But this is one case where I could see the Owners saying were better off with no season.

The 7 Canadian teams will likely bubble in Edmonton (if they play at all) after world junior is over ... with a couple family breaks I would guess ... I can't see govt/owners allowing players to travel between games across provinces ... they would have to do everything possible to reduce costs while at same time maximizing TV revenues and ensuring players can recover between games so practices likely very limited ... but it will come down to how much owners think Bettman can get with next US TV deal and how much impact not playing 2020/21 season will have on that $$$ maker ... that is da real negotiation behind da scenes going on here ...

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I agree with these points. I was moreso thinking in terms of trying to put forth a schedule, particularly with the Olympics wrinkle. Granted, I can see the schedule being either open-ended or incomplete (like the NBA) to account for any blips along the way, which almost assuredly will occur.

I think it works if you keep play in division. 7-8 games against each team. Double up on games to reduce travel. So Leafs could play back to backs against Van, Edm, Cal and Wpg in one long trip. Do that two times and you've taken care of the west travel. Then you play MTL and OTT throughout the rest of the season. It would get very repetitive, but probably the best option given the restrictions.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
I need to understand how it would work. If there is no season, do the players still get paid? What about bonuses? What about if there's no season how would the contracts work? Do the contracts just get extended by 1 year, or does the cancelled season eliminate 1 year off their contract? Thanks.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I need to understand how it would work. If there is no season, do the players still get paid? What about bonuses? What about if there's no season how would the contracts work? Do the contracts just get extended by 1 year, or does the cancelled season eliminate 1 year off their contract? Thanks.
As far as I have heard no player has been paid anything after 2nd last paycheck last year ... da final check went to add to existing 2019/20 season escrow ... players are waiting for final 2019/20 escrow calculations still ... what I am curious about is bonus payments? was bonus treated same as salary? I have asked but no one seems to know ... seems to be a lot of discussion but nothing concrete .

Reactions: Shooter14

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Also @jt AM the real deal, players were paid there first cheque already in October for the 20/21 season. Bonuses were already paid out, ie Matthews has his 15 million.

If you go by the last lockout, contracts, are not extended 1 year, just one less year on the deal. If no season not sure if first cheque would have to be returned.

Not sure if bonuses would be returned, I don’t think so, as it was lockout protection money, in the last lockout.

Could be different if it’s called a suspended season.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

I'm bout that sire. Bettman is a genious when it comes to comebacks and forced plays. He that real guy over there. That last season comeback for the playoffs was fantasticly executed and we had a stanley cup winner. Now even if there would be some problems, the nhl and bettman and his staff will find away to play ice hockey again. We was right last season, like 18 % of us knew that we would finish the season. And now it's bout to happen again. Bettman is not a man who will satisfy on no play. No ice hockey for a year, would also affect on the players real hard and badly. They won't allow that neither. Nobody will in the end. Too much sitting and breathing is not bout to happen. Y'all see this again and I'm surprised that y'all is going to be surprised evidently again. That's the most surprising thing to me. We already saw how they work everything out together.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Also @jt AM the real deal, players were paid there first cheque already in October for the 20/21 season. Bonuses were already paid out, ie Matthews has his 15 million.

If you go by the last lockout, contracts, are not extended 1 year, just one less year on the deal. If no season not sure if first cheque would have to be returned.

Not sure if bonuses would be returned, I don’t think so, as it was lockout protection money, in the last lockout.

Could be different if it’s called a suspended season.
Leafs have paid out some major signing bonus money for a season that may not happen.

Matthews - 15.2
Marner - 14.3
Taveras - 11.1
Muzzin - 7.3
Andersen - 4
Nylander - 3.5
Kerfoort - 1
Holl - 1

Total - 57.4 million

For comparison sake, under a full season the Senators would be paying 49 million in actual salary for their entire roster (Bonuses and Salary)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00