TSN: What's a realistic start date for the NHL to target?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Gary Bettman says NHL is ‘not seeking to renegotiate’ with players - TSN.ca
I mean is this guy (Bettman) the real deal and tough nut or what sire? I mean look at this tsn newbee dirt. They writing a lot of this now on the subject. "Bettman did not move off the Jan. 1 target, no matter how unrealistic it may be to pull off now, while COVID-19 numbers continue to skyrocket across North America and the NHL and NHL Players’ Association remain at odds over the financial terms of the 2021 season."

He still keeps it real and is being the number one ice hockey fan and nhl fan. Bettman is one hard ball playing sucka on this dirt here. He might get us hockey back, right after christmas. He knows everythang and moves things and doos things. :clap: One of the biggests ice hockey fans he is while at it. Amazing to see and respecting is flowing everywhere I'm sure.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Do the owners want to play as little games as possible to avoid additional expenses?

Whats the hold up with the NHL. Kind of a joke that they cant figure this out.

Friedman was on Tim and Sid explaining the situation in very plain terms. Basically the NHL and the players split revenue 50/50, due to the lack of revenue from game tickets player will be forced to have a higher escrow rate than anticipated given the current cap. Obviously the players don’t want this. To compound the situation the NHL wants the players to pay back the NHL the difference to make the 50/50 revenue sharing deal whole faster than the players want. That is the NHLPA would like to pay back the difference in a less than timely manner and they could still owe the owners when the new CBA is going into negotiations.

The players response to owners who are hemorrhaging cash is that interest rates are low so it’s a great time to borrow money and that they should give the players more time to pay back the difference in the 50/50 split. Pretty cavalier attitude. Look we are talking about millions squabbling with Billionaires or corporations. It’s not a good look to either side given how many people have been hurt economically. How many of us have had our pay cut due to worsening economic conditions at work? It’s a temporary problem and both sides need to shut up, sit down at a table and hash this out.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Friedman was on Tim and Sid explaining the situation in very plain terms. Basically the NHL and the players split revenue 50/50, due to the lack of revenue from game tickets player will be forced to have a higher escrow rate than anticipated given the current cap. Obviously the players don’t want this. To compound the situation the NHL wants the players to pay back the NHL the difference to make the 50/50 revenue sharing deal whole faster than the players want. That is the NHLPA would like to pay back the difference in a less than timely manner and they could still owe the owners when the new CBA is going into negotiations.
The players response to owners who are hemorrhaging cash is that interest rates are low so it’s a great time to borrow money and that they should give the players more time to pay back the difference in the 50/50 split. Pretty cavalier attitude. Look we are talking about millions squabbling with Billionaires or corporations. It’s not a good look to either side given how many people have been hurt economically. How many of us have had our pay cut due to worsening economic conditions at work? It’s a temporary problem and both sides need to shut up, sit down at a table and hash this out.

The last thing a team like the Coyotees want is to borrow more money and go in more debt. The interest rates beiong low won't matter.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Yes this is all true but remember for years now owners have been holding back players $$$ in escrow and only very recently were very small true-up settlements paid EVER. Why do da owners get to hold players $$$? And finally as a result of a bad Bettman negotiation da players have the holdback now. Why would they give it up? Take da advantage for next few years like owners did to players for many many years.

Matters of $$$ are always like this. It comes down to a very very bad relationship over a hundred years where owners have been screwing players. But principle is sound it is a 50/50 split of HRR.

Reactions: Menzinger

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't understand why he wouldn't say January 1st is out.
I really doubt a Jan. 1 date is realistic. That most recent TSN article (link provided in #101) spent a lot of time discussing how the league is desperately searching for a way to make a new deal with the players so the owners will not hemorrhage money.

I think the best the NHL could do is reduce the season to something like 48 games and push back the start date to Feb. 1. I'd also think the first half of the season (minimally) would have to played in some sort of bubble in most locations. They might even consider giving the players a 7 - 10 day break at the half way point to allow the vaccination program more time to get folks vaccinated.

I believe that what the league/Bettman is not talking about is how much push back the owners have with no fans in arena and the huge financial losses that will ensue as a result (yes, players will pay it back eventually but will take several years). Then there's the issue of trying to rework the arrangement with the players and god knows if something can be done there.

I think something along the lines of what I've described above is about the best case scenario for a season to happen. Even then, I think we are going to see a flat cap for a few years and players paying back the financial loss over several years using the methods already put in place to achieve the rebalancing.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I thin the poorest NHl teams would rather not play, or play as little games as possible. It means they'll lose les money.

The Arizonas, Florida's Carolina, ETC are holding the NHL back in this among others.

Given that MLSE is making adjustments in their staffing, etc., I doubt its just a few teams that are "holding the NHL back". Most team owners I would think have concerns. Seems like the motivation might be to find a scapegoat here, but doubt that is accurate or solves any problems.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Given that MLSE is making adjustments in their staffing, etc., I doubt its just a few teams that are "holding the NHL back". Most team owners I would think have concerns. Seems like the motivation might be to find a scapegoat here, but doubt that is accurate or solves any problems.

This is exactly right. When an organization like MLSE, after keeping staff on this long, makes an announcement, that as of January 1st, people will be laid off, or on reduced pay, it tells you that they aren't preparing for a January start date.... they think it's going to be much longer, or not at all... otherwise this move lacks logic.

Reactions: KeonHorton

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I don't think they should cancel the whole season, but if they can't start until February, I think they should just do a few exhibition games, a really short season (like 10 games) to determine seeding, then a tournament for the cup with all teams in from the start, and wrap it up on time, and try and figure out a normal schedule for next year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Four NHL teams exploring possibility of playing outdoor home games

Let’s begin this quickie blog with a caveat: it’s a long shot.
But…at least four NHL teams are investigating the possibility of playing home games in outdoor stadia if it will allow them to have fans in attendance.
Again, there are no guarantees in COVID times, “but it is being explored,” one executive said Wednesday.
None of the clubs would comment, but they are Anaheim, Boston, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh. According to multiple sources, it was the Kings who first considered the idea several months ago. Owner Anschutz Entertainment Group also owns Dignity Health Sports Park, located 15 miles from the Kings’ home, Staples Center.
The primary tenant at Dignity is Major League Soccer’s LA Galaxy. The stadium seats 27,000. At some point, the Kings informed the Ducks of the idea, and Anaheim was considering making this a joint venture.

Anaheim and LA are considering outdoor home games? Are they planning on roller hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->