Post-Game Talk: whatever

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
At least Weiss is not playing as bad as Alex Semin though. LGD has more goals than he does.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I missed the game. Was sleeping.

However, how can anyone hate on our new aquisitions? 2 goals from Zidlicky. Cole played a monster game the game before this one?

They have been more than passable.

A quick look on the SH goals and man Weiss was unlucky. Jurco might not have cost those goals but only because he was nowhere near the puck or mishandled it well before. Sadly, Babcock will probably sit Weiss now. For Jurco.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

However, how can anyone hate on our new aquisitions? 2 goals from Zidlicky. Cole played a monster game the game before this one?

A quick look on the SH goals and man Weiss was unlucky. Jurco might not have cost those goals but only because he was nowhere near the puck or mishandled it well before. Sadly, Babcock will probably sit Weiss now. For Jurco.

For the role typically given to Weiss, Jurco would arguably be a better fit. Especially at ES.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Was not unlucky at all. Made some terrible decisions and mishandled the puck repeatedly.

Sitting him would be justified.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Any Helm/March updates? We badly need them back. My ideal lines would be

Abby-Z-Cole
Tats-Pav-Helm
Gus-Sheahan-Pulu
Miller-Glenny-Jurco

Bench Andy and Weiss for their poor play lately. On D, bench E for March.

If we had consistent goaltending and not as many turnovers, this would have been a winnable game. Or at the least we could have gotten a point out of it.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Helm you would think would be back somewhere in middle of next week along with Marchenko. I suspect that Marchenko will be sitting though/sent back down. It would be interesting to see what happens if Smith/E did end up sitting for Marchenko.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Glad I didn't stick around for this one. Ended up enjoying the day. Went to the rink and skated with the fam. Got my 8 yr old niece and 4 yr old nephew on skates. We give up 2 sh goals? And Monster is trash looks like. Can't wait til his conract is up this year. Zidlicky is evreything he was advertised to be. Another PPG?

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
I can understand this sentiment.

Now let's try and go specific.

Who are the talented players who are non-core players that have value, that you would be looking to trade? And what kind of players would you be targeting to get back?

Hey, I don't have all the answers. It takes a good GM to figure this out. Just because I don't have all the specifics doesn't mean that the general method is not the best approach.

Nevertheless, I'll take a shot at identifying the Wings' core.

The Wings' Core:
--Zetterburg
--Datsyuk
--Nyquist
--Tatar
--Sheahan
--Jurco
--Pulkkinen
--Helm
--Kronwall
--Dekeyser
--Howard or Mrazek (choose one; keep both if possible, but be willing to trade one, if necessary)

and two prospects: Mantha and Larkin

Everyone else is expendable.

If you wanted to get super hard-core, you could say Z and Dats are too old to win another championship and trade them for picks and prospects. That would also free up cap space with which the Wings could sign free agents.

To build around this core, the Wings need to sign a couple of elite defensemen and some big, skillful forwards. Nyquist and Tatar need to be put on lines with big players who will make space for them. In the playoffs, where every team is good and the checking is tight, Nyquist and Tatar are not big enough to make space in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey, I don't have all the answers. It takes a good GM to figure this out. Just because I don't have all the specifics doesn't mean that the general method is not the best approach.

The Wings' Core:
--Zetterburg
--Datsyuk
--Nyquist
--Tatar
--Sheahan
--Jurco
--Pulkkinen
--Helm
--Kronwall
--Dekeyser
--Howard or Mrazek (choose one; keep both if possible, but be willing to trade one, if necessary)

If you wanted to get super hard-core, you could say Z and Dats are too old to win another championship and trade them for picks and prospects. That would also free up cap space with which the Wings could sign free agents.

To build around this core, the Wings need to sign a couple of elite defensemen and some big, skillful forwards. Nyquist and Tatar need to be put on lines with big players who will make space for them. In the playoffs, where every team is good and the checking is tight, Nyquist and Tatar are not big enough to make space in the offensive zone.

Interesting take. I agree with the philosophy you speak of, the Blackhawks for example execute it to a T.

Just wanted to see what that would look like in your eyes. Figured it would be good discussion, if nothing else.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I hate it when we lose. I mean really hate it. Not because I don't like losing. But because this board completely loses its mind and goes into full on irrational mode. Because apparantly all the games we win aren't a true reflection of how good we are. No, only the games we lose are a true reflection of this teams quality. However this doesn't count for any of the other playoff teams in the East, who it would seem never lose any games or get outplayed (and furthermore no cup champion has ever lost a game or got outplayed in the regular season).

Furthermore, of all the teams in the East, only our team has holes on it's roster. Montreal don't lack forward depth. Pittsburgh don't lack wingers. Boston aren't past their prime.

Is our team perfect? No. But its nowhere near as bad as the usual suspects make out.

Well said. :)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

The Wings' Core:
--Zetterburg
--Datsyuk
--Nyquist
--Tatar
--Sheahan
--Jurco
--Pulkkinen
--Helm
--Kronwall
--Dekeyser

Honestly, I don't think Size has hurt Nyquist or Tatar so much this season. Both are >40 pts and doing very well IMO.

My "Core" would be this:

-Datsyuk / Zetterberg (Never trade them, they retire here)
-Tatar
-Nyquist
-Helm
-Sheahan

-Kronwall
-Dekeyser

-Howard

Prospects I would NOT trade
-Larkin

That is it for my CORE.

Obviously there are very nice pieces that I did NOT list in the core. To me these are players that could be traded in VERY nice hockey deals.

But for the most part... I do NOT like the idea of moving Mantha/Pulkkinen/XO/Marchenko. I feel their cost control and skill is suited more to us, than their trade value. I think Mrazek is a very good prospect goalie. I wouldn't be moving him any time soon either. But to say he or any of these others are untouchable.... Nah.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
Honestly, I don't think Size has hurt Nyquist or Tatar so much this season. Both are >40 pts and doing very well IMO.

My "Core" would be this:

-Datsyuk / Zetterberg (Never trade them, they retire here)
-Tatar
-Nyquist
-Helm
-Sheahan

-Kronwall
-Dekeyser

-Howard

Prospects I would NOT trade
-Larkin

That is it for my CORE.

Obviously there are very nice pieces that I did NOT list in the core. To me these are players that could be traded in VERY nice hockey deals.

But for the most part... I do NOT like the idea of moving Mantha/Pulkkinen/XO/Marchenko. I feel their cost control and skill is suited more to us, than their trade value. I think Mrazek is a very good prospect goalie. I wouldn't be moving him any time soon either. But to say he or any of these others are untouchable.... Nah.

We mostly agree, and most importantly, we agree on the general approach, which is that you identify your core players and then everyone else is expendable to build a championship team around your core.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jurco still has a big ceiling. It does go without saying that Glendening is more important at this point in time though. In terms of team value Glendening has a ton. Jurco though has more value in NHL circles as an asset and with good reason. He has a lot of tools, he is young and continuing to improve.

But it isn't wrong as of today to say

Glendening>Jurco

It is actually quite correct. Glendening knows his role and excels in it, Jurco has given a lot of effort but has yet to define his role. A part of that is he can do more given his skill set, but he is still learning. I think it will come, we need to be patient with him and I expect that the Wings will be.

For the right return I move Jurco... But there is no reason to call him useless, in fact I think he comes out the other end of this struggle the better player, much like he did in the AHL or Junior where he didn't start necessarily to the expectations of the skill set you saw on ice. He puts in the work and has tons of effort, I think it will pay off eventually just probably not this year for the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad