Post-Game Talk: whatever

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Will does not beat skill. It's not like the skilled players are just sitting back and drinking Mai Tai's while the grinders work really hard to overcome adversity. This ain't a Disney movie.

Gordon Bombay ain't walking through those doors.

That was a hilarious comment. Hehe.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Logged in to say this team is playoff fodder. Garbage team is garbage. Weiss is officially this generation's Uwe Krupp signing. Disaster on ice.

Below average defense coupled with complete lack of offense for 4 games in a row and Babcock's big ****ing idea is to put Glendening on the top line. How'd that work out?

Circling the drain, what a shame, thought this season had something going.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The Wings are really missing Darren Helm. Also we must remember how our guys are returning from injury and hopefully still catching up to speed may be an excuse. Z and Quincey were out for a bit, also Pulkkinen, Howard and Gus were out for a long while. They are not themselves yet but give it time they'll be back 100%.

Wings just seem a little out of their groove. I think also with new players it isn't a matter of getting back on track as much as carving out a new path to stay on. No need to hit the panic button, wow our first btb losses in regulation happen in March...no one would have believed this at the start of the season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Wings are really missing Darren Helm. Also we must remember how our guys are returning from injury and hopefully still catching up to speed may be an excuse. Z and Quincey were out for a bit, also Pulkkinen, Howard and Gus were out for a long while. They are not themselves yet but give it time they'll be back 100%.

Wings just seem a little out of their groove. I think also with new players it isn't a matter of getting back on track as much as carving out a new path to stay on. No need to hit the panic button, wow our first btb losses in regulation happen in March...no one would have believed this at the start of the season.

i'm more worried about our record and play against our division rivals than i'm about this recent funk.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Will does not beat skill. It's not like the skilled players are just sitting back and drinking Mai Tai's while the grinders work really hard to overcome adversity. This ain't a Disney movie.

Gordon Bombay ain't walking through those doors.

Different coach but I could picture....

"Weiss.... you ain't even a has-been, you a never was!"

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I hate it when we lose. I mean really hate it. Not because I don't like losing. But because this board completely loses its mind and goes into full on irrational mode. Because apparantly all the games we win aren't a true reflection of how good we are. No, only the games we lose are a true reflection of this teams quality. However this doesn't count for any of the other playoff teams in the East, who it would seem never lose any games or get outplayed (and furthermore no cup champion has ever lost a game or got outplayed in the regular season).

Furthermore, of all the teams in the East, only our team has holes on it's roster. Montreal don't lack forward depth. Pittsburgh don't lack wingers. Boston aren't past their prime.

Is our team perfect? No. But its nowhere near as bad as the usual suspects make out.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I hate it when we lose. I mean really hate it. Not because I don't like losing. But because this board completely loses its mind and goes into full on irrational mode. Because apparantly all the games we win aren't a true reflection of how good we are. No, only the games we lose are a true reflection of this teams quality. However this doesn't count for any of the other playoff teams in the East, who it would seem never lose any games or get outplayed (and furthermore no cup champion has ever lost a game or got outplayed in the regular season).

Furthermore, of all the teams in the East, only our team has holes on it's roster. Montreal don't lack forward depth. Pittsburgh don't lack wingers. Boston aren't past their prime.

Is our team perfect? No. But its nowhere near as bad as the usual suspects make out.

This so much. The dramatic overreactions on this board are painful to read.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

This is a good post.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I only caught the third period. That was better than the Calgary game at least. I like Glendening, but not on the first line.
My favorite part was the PK being on the offense during that last Boston PP.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I only caught the third period. That was better than the Calgary game at least. I like Glendening, but not on the first line.
My favorite part was the PK being on the offense during that last Boston PP.

I know that Boston was playing conservatively, but that was a seriously impressive PK.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

Thanks for being so logical man. I mean look at the standings right now. If we play .500 (which shouldn't be hard with our upcoming schedule) Florida would essentially have to run the table to push us out. Once that gap started to happen, I figured we'd let off the gas a little, especially after doing so well in that west coast trip.

As for Weiss, well I don't blame the dude one bit. Babs went on record saying the Nyquist-Sheahan-Weiss line was terrible. He then promotes Nyquist, leaves Sheahan where he is and demotes Weiss. If that's not a slap in the face, I don't know what is. Can't blame the guy for checking out when his coach routinely mistreats him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You would think we're on a 10 game losing streak by the way this thread looks.
Not the last team in the NHL to lose 2 straight in regulation.

Team has struggled to put together a complete effort in the last couple of games. We're missing Helm pretty badly actually, and I think Babcock made a terrible decision when he played Howard against Calgary and started Monster against a division rival that we could be facing in the playoffs.

But losses happen. Even 2 straight. We've been pretty much the most consistent team in the NHL this season, but everyone's bound to have a slump or two along the way.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
What do you do though...

Blow the entire team up?

Trade all the young players and draft picks for proven players and go all out?

What's the call?

What you do is identify your core players who will support a championship, then trade others, no matter how talented, to complement your core.

Holland appears too reluctant to trade any talented guy he drafted. Just because a prospect is talented doesn't mean he's the right fit for your team.

Look at how Dombrowsky identifies his core and then trades everyone else to build around his core.

Bill Belichick takes the same approach.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What you do is identify your core players who will support a championship, then trade others, no matter how talented, to complement your core.

Holland appears too reluctant to trade any talented guy he drafted. Just because a prospect is talented doesn't mean he's the right fit for your team.

Look at how Dombrowsky identifies his core and then trades everyone else to build around his core.

I can understand this sentiment.

Now let's try and go specific.

Who are the talented players who are non-core players that have value, that you would be looking to trade? And what kind of players would you be targeting to get back?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

This certainly has some truth to it, and it is only 2 losses in a row.

I think we can get out of round 1, and then after that I have no clue. I know it's a lame answer, but that has been how I viewed this team for a few months now.

I would be very happy with making it to the 2nd round though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

So assuming Holland would take notes from "Dombrowsky" and "Belichick", what would he do? You're going to need to be way more specific than "trade everyone to build around the core" if you have suggestions for how to improve on what is currently a top 10 team with the longest active post-season streak in sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad