Post-Game Talk: whatever

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Jurco still has a big ceiling. It does go without saying that Glendening is more important at this point in time though. In terms of team value Glendening has a ton. Jurco though has more value in NHL circles as an asset and with good reason. He has a lot of tools, he is young and continuing to improve.

But it isn't wrong as of today to say

Glendening>Jurco

It is actually quite correct. Glendening knows his role and excels in it, Jurco has given a lot of effort but has yet to define his role. A part of that is he can do more given his skill set, but he is still learning. I think it will come, we need to be patient with him and I expect that the Wings will be.

For the right return I move Jurco... But there is no reason to call him useless, in fact I think he comes out the other end of this struggle the better player, much like he did in the AHL or Junior where he didn't start necessarily to the expectations of the skill set you saw on ice. He puts in the work and has tons of effort, I think it will pay off eventually just probably not this year for the big club.

Let's see how our boy Luke does on the top line with Datsyuk and Tatar for a couple more games before anointing him. I remember pretty vividly everyone thought Glendening was useless a season ago. The fact is Jurco is playing in the NHL full-time way before any other Detroit prospect has in a long, long time. He put up 30 career points in 80 or so games, which is pretty respectable for any young player at his age.

Pulkkinen hasn't produced at Jurco's level, yet everyone seems to claim he's a more useful player after 12 games. But it's whatever, because the team isn't playing well people need to find a scape goat, and they think moving a player that's not even a defensive liability is the answer instead of letting him grow.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Let's see how our boy Luke does on the top line with Datsyuk and Tatar for a couple more games before anointing him. I remember pretty vividly everyone thought Glendening was useless a season ago. The fact is Jurco is playing in the NHL full-time way before any other Detroit prospect has in a long, long time. He put up 30 career points in 80 or so games, which is pretty respectable for any young player at his age.

Pulkkinen hasn't produced at Jurco's level, yet everyone seems to claim he's a more useful player after 12 games. But it's whatever, because the team isn't playing well people need to find a scape goat, and they think moving a player that's not even a defensive liability is the answer instead of letting him grow.

I was never in the Glendening is useless ranks, far from it.

I said we need to be patient with Jurco. I don't think you give up on him, I just don't think you should count on much this year. His development is not lost, I think he comes out the other side of this well. With that said if he is the guy another team wants in a deal this summer that makes the Wings significantly better, well I listen. That has more to do with the organizational depth and Tatar's emergence than not having belief in Jurco. I think he is fine, he just isn't a confident offensive zone player right now. His two-way game has made tremendous strides this year though and that is a great thing for the future.

I also don't want Luke on the top line and hope that ends shortly. I have no expectations for him in the top 6, I don't think he should play there, I hope he impresses, but to me he is a great bottom six guy and will be for a long while in the NHL and hopefully that is with Detroit for that long while.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Stop calling Gustavsson for 'Monster'. He's no 'Monster' in net.
Pierre and Doc said it last night that Gustavsson is more of a blocker not a catcher.
That is true, Gustavsson is as useful as a sheet of plywood in net.
He can't swallow a puck it just bounces off him. Too many rebounds.
He's not a monster that eats up the puck.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I dunno, Detroit didn't look all that bad. Playoffs will tell.

Honestly, other than 2 really bad give aways and a soft goal or 2 by Gus they didn't look too terrible. They still almost had a couple other goals though, hit like 3 posts.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Something is rather discombobulated here.
We play Rangers 1-1, Babcock's says we have to tighten it up, we give up 2 times 5 goals.
Our PP has been our biggest strength this season, we add a RH Dman we needed and our PP is supposed to get even better, we give up 2 SH goals.
He has 2 goals in 3 games which is great, but 10 goals and 2 losses is terrible.

Is Gustavsson really injured again?
When he was about to come back, I said we had to give up on him. Many disagreed with me. We need consistancy, he can't stay healthy. Mrazek was red hot. Mrazek easily wins vs Bruins yesterday.
Now hopefully Mrazek takes the position and challenges Howard.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Or be more realistic and just hope that Helm gets back soon. If it's between Glendening and Jurco, you take Glendening right now. But both choices are poor, Babcock has a vision of how he wants his lines and Helm is the best choice out of those 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad