Blue Jays Discussion: Whatever the Spring Training record is, it's not good enough. Cut everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Man what a youth movement this team is currently going thru.

All of Norris, Sanchez, Travis, Pompey, Castro will most likely be on the roster opening day.

I've been critical of AA on some things but the guy really knows how to build a strong scouting team.

With all the young arms showing well, its crazy to think the most talented one hasnt even pitched for us yet (Jeff Hoffman).

If one other pitching prospect turns into a 65 FV like Stroman, it'd be a scary rotation.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yahoo just released a article picking out 14 fantasy sleepers.

All 3 of Pompey, Travis and Gose made the list.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I still can't quite believe that we have Josh Donaldson.

He's such a fly under the radar guy. Even now he's rarely talked about. It's all about the pitching/catching. I guess that has more to do with those being the big questions right now. But he's still rarely mentioned. I like that

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The Marlins released a lefty pitcher from their AAA affiliate Donnie Joseph. Seems like a good pick up to me. I don't know the reasoning for his release but he could be a nice depth add

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It sucks so much that Stroman couldn't be the opening starter against his favourite team growing up. Stroman vs Tanaka would have been such an awesome matchup for baseball.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
It sucks so much that Stroman couldn't be the opening starter against his favourite team growing up. Stroman vs Tanaka would have been such an awesome matchup for baseball.

I'm usually a guy who doesn't focus on things that can't be changed, but man does this Stroman injury stick in my craw. Loved watching his starts last year, and by all indications he was going to take the next step into a top of the rotation starter. He has the kind of stuff that gets people excited, and missing out on that this year really sucks.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm usually a guy who doesn't focus on things that can't be changed, but man does this Stroman injury stick in my craw. Loved watching his starts last year, and by all indications he was going to take the next step into a top of the rotation starter. He has the kind of stuff that gets people excited, and missing out on that this year really sucks.

Yeah I usually don't like to dwell on things but hearing that Tanaka will likely be the opening starter just made me realize that we won't see two of the top flight starters in the AL battle against each other. I still think Hutch can breakout though, just sucks we won't have that infectious little guy throwing probably the deepest arsenal in Jays history.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just realized that we can break down the GM stuff into a perfect tautological package.

Everyone complains about AA not addressing the needs of the team. One of the needs is apparently for a more competent GM. So he's failed at doing that.

In other words:

We would have a real GM if we had a real GM.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Just realized that we can break down the GM stuff into a perfect tautological package.

Everyone complains about AA not addressing the needs of the team. One of the needs is apparently for a more competent GM. So he's failed at doing that.

In other words:

We would have a real GM if we had a real GM.

If we had a real GM, would we have a real president and ownership group?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

He's not running bases yet so that's obviously why, but that's gotta be a fun feeling. Smack a homerun and be all like "yeah, I'm not going to bother running those bases"

Buehrle pitches a minor league game as well. 6 innings of 4 hit shutout ball. But we're not facing the Twins until the very end of May so I'm not really sure why they didn't have Buehrle pitch in the major league game.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He's such a fly under the radar guy. Even now he's rarely talked about. It's all about the pitching/catching. I guess that has more to do with those being the big questions right now. But he's still rarely mentioned. I like that

Jeff Blair said he saw Donaldson and Bautista come into the lockeroom after a workout and talk about hitting for over 20 min. He prefaced that by saying guys usually talk about technique etc, but never in a long heated discussion. And rarely after a workout/practice was already completed.

It was also mentioned a few weeks back that Martin started putting together "catcher meetings" where they'd talk about pitches of certain pitchers, technique, history, etc.

Good to have these two guys who are clearly committed to the details.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Jeff Blair said he saw Donaldson and Bautista come into the lockeroom after a workout and talk about hitting for over 20 min. He prefaced that by saying guys usually talk about technique etc, but never in a long heated discussion. And rarely after a workout/practice was already completed.

It was also mentioned a few weeks back that Martin started putting together "catcher meetings" where they'd talk about pitches of certain pitchers, technique, history, etc.

I was listening to the fan and they were saying that's the big change in the club house. That it's all baseball talk. Whoever was being interviewed said it's normal for players to be talking baseball but that their doing it at a different level. Guys will talk about something and then go watch video on it like you were saying. Just the level is crazy. Really great to hear what's going on with this team right now. Hopefully it translates to more success for us on the field

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I still like Jenkins, but he got hammered during ST. He's got options, and there's too much competition. We'll see him again during a day game following a night game.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Given the Jenkins option I'd say the pen options are down to the following:

Cecil
Loup
Hynes
Drabek
Delabar
Redmond
Estrada
Castro

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
I still like Jenkins, but he got hammered during ST. He's got options, and there's too much competition. We'll see him again during a day game following a night game.

Given his options, I could see him and another guy with options flip flopping back and forth

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

IIRC I remember reading/hearing that Donaldson has tried to model his swing/approach like Bautista .. Interested to see what impact being teammates will have on Donaldson's hitting

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Something about Donaldson that hasn't been mentioned much: he came up as a catcher. He caught a few games in the majors early in his career.

He has an extensive background at that position and offers some roster flexibility in a pinch. Obviously, he's a third baseman now, but I like having knowing he could go behind the plate in the event of an emergency.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
His swing is pretty much the exact same

Smaller leg kick, as far as I can tell.

I love the results, but I've never been crazy about that kick. It always seems to put the hitter off-balance. However, I'm not a player and wouldn't know beans about hitting anyway.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Anthopoulos should've been prepared for those "eventualities" with capable replacements who would step in and have the team not miss a beat. That a "real" GM would have a near-ace level pitcher or starting calibre LF in their system just in case something like this would happen. Since AA wasn't prepared for that, he's not a real GM.

I think the funniest part about that criticism is how utterly untrue it is.

AA was about as prepared as anybody could be for those unforeseen scenarios.

When Stroman went down he had Sanchez in reserve to step into the rotation. Sanchez could turn out to be better than Stroman. And when Saunders went down the 4th outfielder waiting in the wings was Kevin Pillar. He has MLB experience and has been a good hitter at every level of baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad