OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Fear inoculum was sold out at target by 1 pm on friday. I would not have expected that even with the 13 year wait. Had to buy it on itunes but haven't listened to entire album yet.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Fear inoculum was sold out at target by 1 pm on friday. I would not have expected that even with the 13 year wait. Had to buy it on itunes but haven't listened to entire album yet.

It's pretty much what I've been listening to since I downloaded it from iTunes on Friday.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Going to go home and download the new Tool album. I expect to be immersed in that for at least 80 minutes.

That's what I'm currently doing and I've loved every second of it so far. Is there a better drummer than Danny ****ing Carey?

It's pretty much what I've been listening to since I downloaded it from iTunes on Friday.
So, what do you all think?

IMO there's not even a single song on the album that'd really make for good radio play, but I LOVE it.

My one reservation:
Track 8, Chocolate Chip Trip. I may make a Spotify playlist of the nine other songs just so I can listen to the whole thing through without having to hear that annoying collection of discordant noises.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So, what do you all think?

IMO there's not even a single song on the album that'd really make for good radio play, but I LOVE it.

My one reservation:
Track 8, Chocolate Chip Trip. I may make a Spotify playlist of the nine other songs just so I can listen to the whole thing through without having to hear that annoying collection of discordant noises.

Here's what I posted on the Entertainment board -

So I’ve had two days to absorb it. It is a worthy entry into the Tool canon. Lateralus remains #1, but Fear Inoculum is pushing Aenima for 2nd place. It’s expansive, subdued yet urgent and spacious. Danny Carey cements himself as the best drummer in all of rock, and Adam Jones expands his pallet, and as @Skjeikspeare noted, Justin Chancellor is the underrated hero. Maynard’s vocals are mature as is his lyrical approach. Everything fits into place from start to finish, as the album steadily builds to the climax on 7empest. The aforementioned track, along with Pneuma and Descending are my favorite tracks, but, there isn’t really a flawed track. Even the drum excursion, Chocolate Chip Trip, with it’s obvious nod to King Crimson, has purpose. The flow of the album is only exceeded by Lateralus, but where as that album had a more aggressive and intense build, Fear Inoculum has a slower but steadier escalation of burn. Yes, there are echoes of prior Tool, especially ideas from 10,000 Days. But, the feel is that these ideas are built upon and not simply used as a crutch. 7empest alone is worth the price of admission. I’m thrilled...give me more and don’t take 13 years next time.

I'm surprisingly fine with CCT, and I despise most drum solos.

ClutchTom

May 25, 2004
currently Kraków, Poland
My early impressions are that it's a fantastic album. I know it's cliche about Tool's work, but it really is the sort of album that takes multiple listens before you can fully appreciate the scale and nuance of it. Is it my favorite album of theirs? I don't quite think so. But it's very, very good. I definitely prefer it to 10,000 Days.

There isn't a weak track on it, although I do agree that Chocolate Chip Trip's synths just didn't do it for me. I actually think that the title track is probably my least favorite on the album, but that could just be because it's already been out for a month+ and I've had time to listen to it to death. I keep coming back to Pneuma, so I guess that'd be my favorite so far, but the intensity and riffing on 7empest is special.

My only gripe with the album would be that I wish we got more of that aggression throughout. Maynard, it seems, was very subdued vocally on this record. Don't get me wrong, I still love his vocals, but it just sounds like he's singing more for an APC album than Tool.

Danny Carey carries this album tremendously.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I've been on a Dokken kick for the past few months. Never could really get into their style, but something must've clicked. It's an interesting mix of rock ballad with heavy metal.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Nope, doesn't sound familiar at all. :laugh:

I saw them in Philly a few weeks back and they performed that song as a storm was moving through the area.

It was one of those perfect moments that I know I am never going to forget.
That's funny, I've been listening to the "Take A Picture" single recently. I had the CD growing up, I must've been 10-12. Would play it over and over while I had Starcraft running. Don't think I've ever gotten around to listening to the actual album.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
@eco's bones 'bout halfway through The Big Midweek: Life Inside The Fall. Absolutely hysterical (especially parts relating to The Clash.) Puts the records in a different light. Had no idea Brix was only 19 when she joined up; She sounds (so far) much sweeter than I'd anticipated.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
@eco's bones 'bout halfway through The Big Midweek: Life Inside The Fall. Absolutely hysterical (especially parts relating to The Clash.) Puts the records in a different light. Had no idea Brix was only 19 when she joined up; She sounds (so far) much sweeter than I'd anticipated.

It's a pretty good book. Mark E. Smith would go off the rails at times. He could be a hoot. Big drinker though--drank his way through one liver---was lucky to get a replacement and kept on going. I used to get all these British music papers and he was always getting interviewed...and he'd blurt out whatever came into his head no holds barred. Very acerbic whacky sense of humor and if he got under someone's skin he wouldn't let go. I like the story about Australia where he gets punched in the eye by Marc Riley and then the both of them are being interviewed on the TV the next day--Riley kind of embarrassed and Smith with the shiner.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's a pretty good book. Mark E. Smith would go off the rails at times. He could be a hoot. Big drinker though--drank his way through one liver---was lucky to get a replacement and kept on going. I used to get all these British music papers and he was always getting interviewed...and he'd blurt out whatever came into his head no holds barred. Very acerbic whacky sense of humor and if he got under someone's skin he wouldn't let go. I like the story about Australia where he gets punched in the eye by Marc Riley and then the both of them are being interviewed on the TV the next day--Riley kind of embarrassed and Smith with the shiner.
Going with two drummers was brilliant. Especially in the songs where you can really hear it. Imagine the chemistry required for that. LIRL there's just so much shit going on at once, the f***ing keyboards, guitars, drums, Smith's cryptic speak-singing. It should sound like absolute nonsense but it doesn't. Hanley's bass and the repetition-repetition really hold everything together.

I didn't know about Smith's livers. :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Going with two drummers was brilliant. Especially in the songs where you can really hear it. Imagine the chemistry required for that. LIRL there's just so much **** going on at once, the ****ing keyboards, guitars, drums, Smith's cryptic speak-singing. It should sound like absolute nonsense but it doesn't. Hanley's bass and the repetition-repetition really hold everything together.

I didn't know about Smith's livers. :laugh:

Smith died in early 2018--he was gigging pretty much to the end but he was shriveled up in a wheelchair and so bloated he was hardly recognizable. I have no idea what it was that killed him--only whatever it was it's not for me.

But on the two drum thing--I saw an interview of Brix and she said it was like having a steam locomotive roaring away behind you--or something to that effect.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So many early-2000's post-punk revivals egregiously indebted to this band lol

This album came on next. I don't know what it is, but it sounds like Lou Reed replaced Morrissey in the Smiths and it's awesome.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Nope, doesn't sound familiar at all. :laugh:

That's funny, I've been listening to the "Take A Picture" single recently. I had the CD growing up, I must've been 10-12. Would play it over and over while I had Starcraft running. Don't think I've ever gotten around to listening to the actual album.

1). Got tickets to see Tool/Killing Joke at Prudential Center...almost as excited to see KJ as I am Tool

2). Nighttime is one of the best albums of the ‘80’s, on a par with Sisters of Mercy, First and Last and Always, and Echo & the Bunnymen, Ocean Rain.

3). Supposedly, Dave Grohl drummed on one of Killing Joke’s later albums, as a way to make up with Nirvana stealing the riff from ‘Eighties’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad