OT: Whatcha Eatin' - Second Course

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
@Incubajerks i tried my hand at Ossobucco again. How did I do?

View attachment 599695

View attachment 599693
@Incubajerks i tried my hand at Ossobucco again. How did I do?

View attachment 599695

View attachment 599693

I must say that maybe visually I liked the first try more. I congratulate you because it is a dish not so well known but of great tradition (in the north). It is not easy to prepare, it takes time and patience. I am used to seeing it accompanied in the same dish (and it is a rarity) with saffron risotto and chopped lemon zest, garlic and parsley (Gremolada).

I really like it accompanied only by a simple puree.

It is impossible to judge the taste from a photo, but I would cook it without all that amount of vegetables. For the sauté I would use only the onion.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I must say that maybe visually I liked the first try more. I congratulate you because it is a dish not so well known but of great tradition (in the north). It is not easy to prepare, it takes time and patience. I am used to seeing it accompanied in the same dish (and it is a rarity) with saffron risotto and chopped lemon zest, garlic and parsley (Gremolada).

I really like it accompanied only by a simple puree.

It is impossible to judge the taste from a photo, but I would cook it without all that amount of vegetables. For the sauté I would use only the onion.
Yeah, it's not something I would typically buy for myself, but my mother gets me a steak of the month membership every year for my birthday, and a shank was the cut for October. Osso bucco is the only dish I'm relatively familiar with that uses shanks, so I made that. I also did make the gremolada, but like an absolute dumbass, I forgot about it, and left it in the fridge. The recipes I looked at said it's often served with mashed potatoes, but I don't really care for mashed potatoes, so I went with the pierogis instead. I think it tasted pretty good, but I've never had 'authentic' osso bucco, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I'll have to visit Italy someday and try the genuine article.

Reactions: Incubajerks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So today, I had to go to Reidsville to pick up a table-saw. I bribed a couple of my kids to come with me to load it into the truck by telling them I'd treat them to BBQ. I used to own a home on Hyco Lake for 10 years and my next-door neighbor there owned Short Sugar's BBQ in Reidsville. His son has run it for years now but my kids really like their sauce as we had it often when we had the house. So we stopped in for BBQ and lo and behold, my ex-neighbor was there. I hadn't seen him in 7-8 years and it was fun to catch up. Good BBQ also and my kids bought a few bottles of the sauce.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Shepherd’s Pie….mmmmmm.

1674259562406.jpeg

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Oh, that's something good I haven't made in a while. Might have plans for next week now.

I don't have any pictures, but I did make stuffed peppers for the first time tonight.
Love stuffed peppers. But the rest of my family are fools and won’t touch them, so haven’t made them in ages.

:sadface

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Love stuffed peppers. But the rest of my family are fools and won’t touch them, so haven’t made them in ages.

:sadface

I like them except in green bell peppers.

Other than a few cases, like when they are fried with onions and used as a topping for something (Italian sausage, or used with Fajitas, etc...) I don't like green bell peppers. It's weird because I like pretty much every other pepper. Red/yellow/Orange bell, chili peppers, jalapeño, cayenne, Serrano, poblano, etc...

Thus I never liked stuffed peppers when my mother made them until one day she made them will red bell peppers. From then on, she'd make sure at least one of them was with a red bell pepper. Maybe your family would like them with a different pepper?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I like them except in green bell peppers.

Other than a few cases, like when they are fried with onions and used as a topping for something (Italian sausage, or used with Fajitas, etc...) I don't like green bell peppers. It's weird because I like pretty much every other pepper. Red/yellow/Orange bell, chili peppers, jalapeño, cayenne, Serrano, poblano, etc...

Thus I never liked stuffed peppers when my mother made them until one day she made them will red bell peppers. From then on, she'd make sure at least one of them was with a red bell pepper. Maybe your family would like them with a different pepper?
It’s the “cooked” pepper that is the problem, not the color of the pepper.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
You don't have to tend to it all night. Just keep the temp low at night and bring it up to finishing temp when you wake up.

Granted you do need a good smoker and need to be familiar with it so you don't ruin expensive meats lol.
I’ve got one of those e-z-bake ovens for men that’s in dire need of an upgrade. Been thinking of trying a Weber Smokey mountain to dip my toes in it. The stick burners are intimidating haha

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I’ve got one of those e-z-bake ovens for men that’s in dire need of an upgrade. Been thinking of trying a Weber Smokey mountain to dip my toes in it. The stick burners are intimidating haha
You might want to try a Kamado. My Green egg is easypeasy. Did country style ribs yesterday. I can keep an eye on temp with my phone. Takes a few tries to learn temp regulation but the end result is awesome.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
You might want to try a Kamado. My Green egg is easypeasy. Did country style ribs yesterday. I can keep an eye on temp with my phone. Takes a few tries to learn temp regulation but the end result is awesome.
I’m a baller on a budget over here haha. Did you add the connectivity? I don’t know too much about the green eggs. I watched some YouTube videos this weekend where this guy had the Kamado Joe Konnected Joe. Seems pretty neat.

EDIT: meant to say I was looking at used Weber Smokey Mountains and adding a temp controller and blower fan once I was familiar with how the thing works. Been spending too much time at work looking up methods and grills haha. I’m kind of glad I don’t have a pickup or else I’d have bought one by now. Should be saving up for a new patio

Last edited:

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I went with the BGE because I knew of the brand. Did the whole BGE forum thing and learned to use it. Great group of guys and ladies there. I think the Joe might be a better quality even. The used ones are out there. I am cooking on a XL I bought used. Downside to that is lifetime warranty is only good for initial register of the warranty. If you can find one not registered yet as I did my second one , you are good with that. The Kamados hold heat and cook more evenly. The Webbers are great grills but are a bit more hands on for smoking. The Webber's are however a great grill to learn on for that reason. I Don’t use a blower. I monitor the temps with my phone and a blue tooth temp sender. The blowers work fine just never needed to use one. I would suggest lurking on one of the BBQ forums. Some really good cooks hang out there and most are glad to help you. Some pretty good cooks on here too.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I went with the BGE because I knew of the brand. Did the whole BGE forum thing and learned to use it. Great group of guys and ladies there. I think the Joe might be a better quality even. The used ones are out there. I am cooking on a XL I bought used. Downside to that is lifetime warranty is only good for initial register of the warranty. If you can find one not registered yet as I did my second one , you are good with that. The Kamados hold heat and cook more evenly. The Webbers are great grills but are a bit more hands on for smoking. The Webber's are however a great grill to learn on for that reason. I Don’t use a blower. I monitor the temps with my phone and a blue tooth temp sender. The blowers work fine just never needed to use one. I would suggest lurking on one of the BBQ forums. Some really good cooks hang out there and most are glad to help you. Some pretty good cooks on here too.
I've had a BGE (large) for over 10 years. Never used a blower / controller either. Once I get the temp set a ~220 and stable, it will stay that way for 10+ hours so never had to worry about staying awake or monitoring it excessively.

@raynman if you want a cheap, economical but still great smoker, look up the Alton Brown Flower Pot smoker (yeah..I know...pot smoker). I made one so I could take it places that I couldn't take my BGE and I got just as good results as I did on the BGE. I think the total cost was under $100 when I made it ages ago. I still use it from time to time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad