OT: Whatcha Drinkin' II: Another Round!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Fair enough. AB specific, or any of the majors?

AB Specific, though not a huge fan of the other majors either but they haven't done a fraction of what AB has IMHO.

The one addendum to that I would say is Duvel. The brands they control (Omegang, Boulevard, Firestone Walker) they don't mess with at all.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We don't know what's going on in their lives though. I know many people who have owned and then sold businesses. Sometimes it was due to personal reasons (health), sometimes it was due to having to be there all the time and wanting some free/family time, sometimes it was about wanting a new challenge or do something different, and sometimes, it was just about the money (which frankly, I see no problem with).

I do get the sentiment about AB though, but depending on their reasons for selling, maybe that was the only choice.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We don't know what's going on in their lives though. I know many people who have owned and then sold businesses. Sometimes it was due to personal reasons (health), sometimes it was due to having to be there all the time and wanting some free/family time, sometimes it was about wanting a new challenge or do something different, and sometimes, it was just about the money (which frankly, I see no problem with).

I do get the sentiment about AB though, but depending on their reasons for selling, maybe that was the only choice.

Don't get me wrong, I can get onboard with that line of thought. That said, in this case I just don't see it. Not with the way they've handled their expansion and everything. Basically they had the chance to be the first really national brand from the Southeast if they had kept growing organically, but the rate they were buying expansion properties, etc. It felt like the intention all along may have been to just sell to the highest bidder.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Don't get me wrong, I can get onboard with that line of thought. That said, in this case I just don't see it. Not with the way they've handled their expansion and everything. Basically they had the chance to be the first really national brand from the Southeast if they had kept growing organically, but the rate they were buying expansion properties, etc. It felt like the intention all along may have been to just sell to the highest bidder.

ehhh

wicked weed was kind of "destined" to rapidly grow and be sold off. they were created from a massive initial investment. it's almost certainly the reason they were able to expand so rapidly.

they also coincidentally make good beer, which helped. hopefully being bought out by AB doesn't affect that

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
One of AB's campaign's has been to call micro brewers hobbyists, in a very condescending way.

Despite having already purchased several microbreweries and continuing to produce beers under their name (offhand, Goose Island, Blue Point, 10 Barrel, Elysian, Golden Roads, Four Peaks, Devils Backbone, Breckenridge and one or two others). They also own about a third of the Craft Brew Alliance which owns Red Hook, Widmer Bros., Kona, Omission, and Square Mile Cider.

The irony in that commercial is that one of the craft breweries they partner with own produced a pumpkin peach ale right around the time that commercial came out.

And then they doubled down on it

**** you, Anheuser-Busch. **** you, very much.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
ehhh

wicked weed was kind of "destined" to rapidly grow and be sold off. they were created from a massive initial investment. it's almost certainly the reason they were able to expand so rapidly.

they also coincidentally make good beer, which helped. hopefully being bought out by AB doesn't affect that

Exactly.

And I'm not getting my hopes up. Freak will probably still be Freak, but after having some of the Goose Island stuff like Sofie pre, 2-years post, and 4 years post-buyout, there's just night and day difference. You could notice a drift in quality starting 2 years post-buyout already and by the time it hit 4 years it just simply wasn't the same quality beer anymore.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Exactly.

And I'm not getting my hopes up. Freak will probably still be Freak, but after having some of the Goose Island stuff like Sofie pre, 2-years post, and 4 years post-buyout, there's just night and day difference. You could notice a drift in quality starting 2 years post-buyout already and by the time it hit 4 years it just simply wasn't the same quality beer anymore.

totally agree, and Goose Island is a perfect example to explain many beerphiles' trepidation at today's news.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Fair enough, but I personally don't fault someone for that. My father in-law was a guy that started a number of different businesses, only to grow them, sell them off, and start another. He loved the challenge of getting a business off ground and growing it, but didn't relish running them day to day. He also made his money, not by the profits from the operations of the business, but from the value he created in the business when it sold. I've also been part owner of a business where that was the full intent as well (and the reason I invested in it). That said, I do understand the concern about quality of the product declining after the purchase. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
luckily asheville is the exact kind of place that is all about "all local everything" so if wicked weed does start going south, they may see some kind of effect

granted, wicked weed has basically become THE craft beer tourist destination in asheville at this point, so who knows if the locals even register beyond a small blip on their balance sheet these days

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00