OT: Whatcha Drinkin' II: Another Round!

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I love Bond Brother's blonde roast. Everything else I've had there has been meh. My friends had an aneurysm over how much they loved the local IPA but I didn't taste anything special. I was not a fan of one of the sours I tried that my wife got (I can't remember which one). I really like sours but I'm extremely particular. Hell, I'm extremely particular on every beer style. I like Bond Bros overall and will go back, though it's not in my top 5 triangle breweries. That would be 1) Sub Noir 2) Big Boss 3) Raleigh Brewing Company 4) Lonerider 5) Neuse River. Gizmo would likely be higher if I tried more of their stuff. I only went there once. :(

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
shotgun betty now versus shotgun betty 3 years ago almost doesn't even taste like the same beer. it is bizarre.

ponysaurus and mystery are both great. fullsteam is super hit or miss for me

I worry they'll go the Roth route where when Roth opened up their offerings were really good, the cinnamon porter especially, but as time went on and the money started to dry up they had to cut corners. I understand Lonerider's better capitalized than Roth could ever have hoped to have been so I'm not quite as worried about that. I'm hoping the quality hit is a side effect of switching over to canning rather than bottling and being more concerned with getting that canning line stood up.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
dont gimlets normally have soda water or something??

also the limeade is way sweeter than straight up lime juice so they are very deceptive

A traditional gimlet is lots of gin, some lime juice, and sugar, shaken and served up. Plenty of variations, of course, including some on the rocks with soda, or using Roses instead of real juice (which is actually the original version from the royal navy), but adding soda to dilute isn't far different from adding plain water to dilute, which is what you get with limeade.

As for cheerwine cocktails, I'm a fan of highballs with 2oz gin, half a shot of lime juice, and cheerwine. I found it online a while ago called the "Cheerwine Cocktail", and a restaurant in Greensboro serves it as the "South in Your Mouth", but that's too wordy for me.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
A traditional gimlet is lots of gin, some lime juice, and sugar, shaken and served up. Plenty of variations, of course, including some on the rocks with soda, or using Roses instead of real juice (which is actually the original version from the royal navy), but adding soda to dilute isn't far different from adding plain water to dilute, which is what you get with limeade.

As for cheerwine cocktails, I'm a fan of highballs with 2oz gin, half a shot of lime juice, and cheerwine. I found it online a while ago called the "Cheerwine Cocktail", and a restaurant in Greensboro serves it as the "South in Your Mouth", but that's too wordy for me.

huh well TIL

now i can call gincidents gimlets when i want to sound fancy

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think I found my go to drink this fall. Knobb Creek, fresh lemon juice, maple syrup, and a touch of bitters. It's absolutely delicious.

Quality sours are a thing of beauty indeed, and were one of my go tos for a long time, but I fell out of the habit. **** sour mix, the **** managed to take a damn good cocktail completely off the map for most people. It's not like lemon juice and sugar are expensive either, why does that stuff exist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->