OT: Whatcha' DIYin'?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My college degree is electrical engineering, and I've done a ton of wiring over the years including new sub panels, 240/120, hot tubs, finished basements, etc.. Pretty straightforward for me. Plumbing, I don't do it enough to be good at it. Thankfully, my brother was a master plumber when alive so I would always just pick up the phone and he'd walk me through it, and laugh at me for all the questions.

Youtube is the best when it comes to stuff like this though.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
True gentleman uses them with socks obviously.
socks-and-sandals2.jpg

Reactions: Lempo

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We didn't have a fireplace in our house when it was built. While I would have preferred to have a real fireplace, it wasn't practical. We had a gas one in our last house and I rarely used it. So when I enclosed our covered porch, I decided to build a mantel and put an electric fire place in. Since I have solar panels and we are creating more electricity than we use, I wanted one that put out a lot of heat. This one runs off 220V and offsets my gas bills in the winter. This model is the most realistic one I could find.

In the room, I installed the wall, windows, and door; did all the insulation, drywall and trim; installed the flooring and baseboard; built the bench (cat bench), table and bar stools; and now finished it off with the fireplace. Our favorite room now.

IMG_6488.jpeg
IMG_6491.jpeg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Catching up on recent projects. My son and I built and installed cabinets and floating shelves for next to the fireplace for a friend. Built everything from scratch. I tried a new cabinet paint/lacquer from Sherwin-Williams for this one. It is a "spray only". Expensive, but it dries quickly and goes on very smoothly, which is nice so I'll be using more of this as I have (or rather my wife has) a bunch of projects for my own house this year.

IMG_6456.jpeg

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
... I felt I had a productive day yesterday changing the resistor to the cabin blower of the Boxer.

It was right there in the cabin just under the glove compartment. The setting 3 is working again.
Had to do the same on a Jeep Wrangler back in the day except it was inside and behind the glove compartment. Should’ve been easy but apparently mechanics, or at least the engineers who design vehicles, must have very small elf hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad