What young gun are you betting on to have the best season?

Who’s most likely to have the best breakout season?

• Total voters

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
With several young players proven there success and dominance we can only wait and see if there are more to follow at the NHL stage, of the ones that are yet to breakout and become great impact players who do you believe will have that impact/breakout year(and if more than one who do you think will have the best breakout season)?

Thanks for reading and voting, please comment below I always love to see some opinions and dont be afraid to make estimate point totals and/or overall impact either, the more you write the more we all have some fun during this long and painful off-season as we wait upon the players to grace the ice.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I am not even sure if Vesalainen will be playing yet in the NHL, but I still chose him, as I see him as clearly the most talented player offensively out of this group. And what is important, he is already quite well developed physically for his age and size. So my choise is very hypothetical. Probably Vesalainen is playing the starting season after all in the KHL and the Finnish national team, as there is too much of the salary cap, and the expansion draft protection based issues going on.

But if Vesalainen will after all be very impressive at the training camp, he should then get after all to play already in the NHL. And I see this still possible too. If it happens and he is used in one of the first three lines and has at least a relatively good role on the PP, then I could see him getting something like 24+30=54 points. Anyway a point total between 40-60 points would seem quite likely, if he would get to play in all of the games that the Jets play, and in a clear PP role.

And if Vesalainen plays after all in the KHL or the AHL for (I pretty much doubt him wanting to play in the AHL though) then my choise would be for sure either Roslovic or Niku, or maybe Petan as a wild card option, if he after all could be used in a role according to his skills.

For each of these players the scenario would of course have to be that they should play for clearly the most of the season in the NHL and in a quite offensive role. If everything goes ideally for them, I could see the following points totals possible for them:

Roslovic 18+34=52
Niku 7+31=38
Petan 10+41=51

And I emphasize that for any of this to happen, they would each need to get a clear role on the PP and get to play in most of the games for the whole season.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Roslovic. I think that this season he shows that he can be a very good top 6 forward.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Roslovic , if given the right situation by Maurice. Remember how this guy absolutely excelled when playing with Mathews/Tkatchuk - he was seen as the catalyst that got those two going on the USA team, He knows how to play with better players to make them even better.... . Come on Maurice.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Has to be Roslovic, when considering the chances he'll have
I think Petan and Niku will be good but won't get as many opportunities

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Roslovic, hoping he snatches the 2nd line job
Petan, to justify my #19 jersey
Niku, because of Finnish reasons

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
The obvious answer is Roslovic. He's a workout nut who knows not to mess with his mobility, so expect an even faster Jack this coming season. With Stastny signing in Vegas he'll be given every opportunity to win the 2C roll and he'll almost certainly be on one of the PP units all season.

Vesalainen has the full package and could find himself on a top line with a strong camp. On the other hand, he might not even be playing in Manitoba at all.

Appleton already had his breakout year, albeit at the AHL level. Going from NCAA to AHL Rookie of the Year is nothing short of sensational. He's got a ton of competition for NHL spot but I could see him stealing a spot forcing a trade or waiver exposure to someone.

Wild Card: Niku. Very similar story to Appleton. He already If Trouba is traded and the return doesn't yield an immediatly usable dman, then Niku could get his chance. Paired with Buff or Myers I could see him putting up a lot of points and "breaking out".

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I voted for Lemieux. The West is rough and tumble. Dallas plays rough. Minnesota too. The Pacific features some real heavy teams. I think he's become physically and mentally mature.

Roslovic will grow too. I think he will take over PK duties from Armia. But I look at the 2nd PP. Connor will probably move back to the 1st. So the 2nd will have Perreault, Little, Ehlers. All perimeter players. Perreault is better off the half wall than Petan. Lemieux fits the greasy role. Has a big league shot.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I voted for Lemieux. The West is rough and tumble. Dallas plays rough. Minnesota too. The Pacific features some real heavy teams. I think he's become physically and mentally mature.

Roslovic will grow too. I think he will take over PK duties from Armia. But I look at the 2nd PP. Connor will probably move back to the 1st. So the 2nd will have Perreault, Little, Ehlers. All perimeter players. Perreault is better off the half wall than Petan. Lemieux fits the greasy role. Has a big league shot.

Unless our PK improves dramatically, I'd rather not have the walking penalty on the ice. Guy takes wayyy too many penalties.

The obvious answer is Roslovic, but assuming Petan sticks I think he will show his doubters this season. No more anchors.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Niku would also have a great season if he could stick in the lineup, but I think he could play incredible and still not get a roster spot over the likes of Chiarot/Poolman.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Unless our PK improves dramatically, I'd rather not have the walking penalty on the ice. Guy takes wayyy too many penalties.

The obvious answer is Roslovic, but assuming Petan sticks I think he will show his doubters this season. No more anchors.

He wasn't too bad in his stint. I was impressed by how many one on one battles he won. He drew some penalties too. I have a hard time seeing a guy brought into battle, Armia, being replaced with a soft player like Petan. But yes if he does take too many penalties, I don't think he'll make it. I remember Maurice saying in his first camp, I have time for his game. I don't know how much more time Maurice will have for Petan's game. I think this is Lemieux's year. Niku and Veselainen might break through, but I'd expect later. Roslovic could break out too. He has a role to carve.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I still don’t know what I’m voting for :D The topic is who has the best season, while the poll says who has the biggest breakout season. Aren’t they two different things? I voted Petan as having the biggest breakout season (as compared to his previous seasons), but did I misunderstand the poll?

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Rolso. Between ehlers and laine

27 28 29

Why else would he change his #?

Reactions: rehf

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It’s hard to say because it really depends on who gets the opportunity and who doesn’t.
But I’m definitely going with Roslovic. I’ve seen enough to be sure that he’s ready to make a big impression.

Niku will impress wherever he plays but he’ll have a hard time topping last season. Hoping for more of the same from him this year and more growth.

Petan May finally get his chance and I think he’s finally made enough adjustments to his game to deserve a chance. He may surprise.

I’ve always been a fan of Lemieux and he could break out this year to a lesser extent.

I’m not sure Vesalainen will actually be over here. I’m thinking one more development year for him first.

Poolman may never wow anyone but I think he’ll be the type of player that we never think a lot about. And I mean that in a very good way. Rock solid #5-6 that just gets the job done. We need players like that back there.

Appleton may play one more year with the Moose before his big breakthrough.

What we DO know is that the Jets have an abundance of young riches right now and it will be Chevy’s job not to lose any of these great young pieces to waivers or otherwise. I’m definitely not opposed to trading away a veteran or two to make room and load up on future draft picks. I think some of these young pieces can quickly become equal players to a few of the veterans on the team.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Roslovic.

Somehow, I have my doubts that Vesalainen won't sign this summer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I dont know if I'd classify Roslovic as a breakout candidate. He came in and performed really well last season. I would expect more of the same from him.

I'm going with Petan. I think he comes in and shows he belongs and contributes a fair amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad