What young gun are you betting on to have the best season?

Who’s most likely to have the best breakout season?

• Total voters

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I voted Roslovic for two reasons. I think he is the most talented among those listed and I am confident that he will stick in the top 9.

Niku is next on my list. I'd bet on a successful season as a top 4 D IF he starts the year with Buff, but I wouldn't bet on him starting the year with Buff.

Petan is 3rd on my list.

Reactions: ps241

FiveHoled

Jul 2, 2016
West Coast
I voted Niku mostly because I just want him to be good. I see him coming in late season and finding a groove. But if Petan started to light it up with Roz, that would be supercalifragilisticexpialadochious.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Roslo because he's the guy who has shown hes ready for a role.

I'd say Niku but likely Moose 1 more year.
Niku absolutely SHOULD start the season on the 2nd pair with Buff. He dominated the AHL after finishing 7th in Liiga D scoring. He is the only option with upside and he's already played vs men for 5 years. He should be ready.

He may not start in the NHL, but the list of reasons to keep him out is tiny.

Reactions: rehf and KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Niku absolutely SHOULD start the season on the 2nd pair with Buff. He dominated the AHL after finishing 7th in Liiga D scoring. He is the only option with upside and he's already played vs men for 5 years. He should be ready.

I voted Rosie, but I'd put Niku right along side him. I think once the kid gets a chance there will be no turning back.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I have absolutely no doubt Niku would do well at the start in the NHL. In the one game he played, he looked great and you could even tell for 95% of the game he was being overly safe with how he was playing. When he opened up in OT, he was a beast.

I don't think he will start with the Jets, even though he should, but agreed with when he does come up whether it be to injury or whatever, he will stay.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Voted Roslovic, don’t think Niku is NHL ready yet and Vesalainen is most definitely not.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Injuries may force Maurice to do the right thing with Niku. If we have our usual crowded IR sewing circle of D men by mid season then Sami gets more than 10 games in the top 4 with any RHD not named Myers he should do well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Niku, especially if he can steal some PP time. I think he'll be a much better option than Myers in due time. Especially if Ehlers is still on that unit. Having two guys who are among the best at gaining the zone could back the forecheck off right into their own zone. Myers usually just drops to Ehlers but if Niku is a threat while Ehlers streaks behind then we are golden. Myers has a bit of a muffin of a wrister as well and Niku is really good at getting his through traffic. I think Niku could take over on that PP2 in short order. Add in Vesalainen as a one timer option on the right side and we have a PP that is very similar to PP1 but just much more speedier in their entries.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
It's a tough poll - I think Roslovic will have a greater impact than anyone else, but he "half broke out" this year already in my books. So the biggest 'breakthrough' I think will be Petan, because they can't send him down and the work he put into his game last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he got some 2nd pp time, and the closest we have on the team now to Thorburn is Tanev, who took big steps forward last year and is actually an NHL quality player...

I would be pleasantly surprised if Niku got PP time over Myers, but I'm also still waiting for Morrissey to get his chance... Not sure what Maurice will do. If I knew he would get time with Buff all year & 2nd PP, he'd be my #1, but I don't believe he will.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I think Petan and Lemieux will be motivated and have the off season to figure how they can stick with the big club I don’t think either want to be in AHL for another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad