Speculation: What year do the Sabres make the playoffs?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think we are top 5 in 15' and 16'. After that who knows. I do expect 15-16 to be the year where things start taking shape.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I think Murray will pull off a blockbuster in the next year which will speed up the process. It won't be as long as some think.

He likes to cite the trade they made for Pronger in Anaheim. We have a ton of assets. I wouldn't be surprised if our top pick this year gets packed for something huge.

I don't think he will move our top picks at all. But I do think he will pull off something huge that most likely includes Myers or Ehrhoff and others.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's hard to predict the future so far in advance. Especially considering we haven't seen how Murray is going to handle this offseason. I'll put the odds like this :

2015: 5%
2016: 35%
2017:65%

Next year is going to be another rebuilding year. I'm assuming they finish with a top-5 pick. 2016 is hard to judge, but I believe Murray will make a push to make this team much more competitive, and some of the prospects should be getting more comfortable. 2017 is put up or shut up.

Sabres83

Feb 27, 2014
I think in 15-16 we'll be close to making it, but just miss out. 16-17, we'll make a deep run. We have a lot of prospects who are already close to being ready, not to mention our top picks in the next two years who will probably have a big impact right away.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I voted 16-17, but could have just as easily voted 17-18. This team will rely on youth and the goaltending is/may be cast in an uncertain light, so the steps toward playoff relevance won't come too fast.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I base my vote off a fairly small assumption that Murray drafts a Sam this June and Eichel next June. With another very high draftee from the NYI pick.

If this happens I can see Buffalo making some strides in 2015-16, but still missing the playoffs. For 2016-17, I think by then it's not too optimistic to think the d-corps will have progressed enough, and the top FWs be skilled enough to make a WC spot. They'll still lose due to not having any playoff experience, but I think they can get there.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It's hard to predict the future so far in advance. Especially considering we haven't seen how Murray is going to handle this offseason. I'll put the odds like this :

2015: 5%
2016: 35%
2017:65%

Next year is going to be another rebuilding year. I'm assuming they finish with a top-5 pick. 2016 is hard to judge, but I believe Murray will make a push to make this team much more competitive, and some of the prospects should be getting more comfortable. 2017 is put up or shut up.

i like this way of looking at it

i'd say:

2015: 0%
2016: 10%
2017: 25%

at this point, if things have gone well, and our high end talent is fulfilling it's potential...

2018: 50%
2019: 75%
2020: 75%

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
i like this way of looking at it

i'd say:

2015: 0%
2016: 10%
2017: 25%

at this point, if things have gone well, and our high end talent is fulfilling it's potential...

2018: 50%
2019: 75%
2020: 75%

I think that Murray targets 2016-2017 as the 'turn-around' year where they miss the playoffs barely, but then go after it in 2017-2018.

I can't see him missing the playoffs for 3 seasons in a row (under his watch) without accelerating the process.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I think the tank is over after the 2015 draft, at which point Murray starts spending. Not that they necessarily sign a major name, but they fill holes with useful, productive players and not scrubs. The optimist in me sees a playoff finish in 2015-16 provided the goaltending is shored up by then.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
2017-2018 we take the playoffs by storm. Until then, expect more rough sledding.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
We shouldnt be a playoff team in the next 2 years. The optimist in me says 16-17 is the year we are likely a playoff team although admittedly not a serious threat.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I should have also followed up this premise that next year we would have 3 1st round picks. Along with picking either Sam with this years 2nd overall.

2015 picks

Buffalos- Bottom 5
NYI- Bottom 12
St. Louis- 20-25

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
15-16, I believe, is the target for the playoffs.

After the 2015 draft, I believe Murray will sign a few UFA's to short term deals that will improve the team quite a bit. (by quite a bit I mean enough to challenge for a playoff spot)

Once that draft takes place I think Murray will want to bring in players he feels can help the team not only win, but help the youngsters grow up as quick as possible.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My big issue with those saying "15/16", is it assumes that we snag one of the two immediately-producing franchise guys in McDavid or Eichel.

I think people forget that even Crosby didn't make the playoffs his first year in the league, and we're not starting with that much more than the 05/06 Pens.

If you assume that Bennett/Reinhart go back to juniors, that means that we're relying on two rookies in 15/16 to get us back to the playoffs, assuming we actually get McDavid or Eichel. No pressure there at all.

If we're LUCKY, 15/16 will essentially be the "rookie" year for one of the Sams, McDavid/Eichel, Grigorenko, possibly Armia and probably Zadorov and McCabe. It's an awfully young team, with guys like Risto/Pysyk/Girgs only in their 2nd or 3rd years.

Even with precise UFA adds, I just don't see us as having the "chops" to make noise in 15/16....and that's assuming the best-case scenario pretty much all around.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
And my problem with the people saying 17-18 is that they are disregarding Tim Murray's comments that he doesn't want a five year rebuild.

With him saying that I believe he is implying he will get this team competitive as fast as he possibly can all the while doing it right.

After next summers draft, I can guarantee that the guy is going to start wheeling and dealing to get this team into the playoffs, all the while not messing with the teams future.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
And my problem with the people saying 17-18 is that they are disregarding Tim Murray's comments that he doesn't want a five year rebuild.

With him saying that I believe he is implying he will get this team competitive as fast as he possibly can all the while doing it right.

After next summers draft, I can guarantee that the guy is going to start wheeling and dealing to get this team into the playoffs, all the while not messing with the teams future.

I think you're one year off with the wheeling and dealing. It wouldn't shock me in the least if we don't have a 2017 first round pick due to a deal.

I think we do make our own 2016 first round pick

I think Murray sees where we're at after 15/16 and then fills holes from there.....I don't think he'll be in hole-filling mode after the 2015 draft.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

A lot of people feel the rebuild started this year with us picking top 3. Also, no GM wants a rebuild to last 5 years, they will say whatever they want. Does not mean they can attract the needed free agents to make a quick turn around, especially with such a young team. I am surprised nearly 30% of people here think we make the playoffs after next season. Quite a few people are in for a reality check here.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
A lot of people feel the rebuild started this year with us picking top 3. Also, no GM wants a rebuild to last 5 years, they will say whatever they want. Does not mean they can attract the needed free agents to make a quick turn around, especially with such a young team. I am surprised nearly 30% of people here think we make the playoffs after next season. Quite a few people are in for a reality check here.

And, that is your opinion.

We will have a very solid defense in a couple of seasons. Ennis and Hodgson will still be here. Girgensons should be better than he is now. Grigorenko is a hopeful. there will be other youngsters emerge by, or in that season. Add a few free agents or a couple of trades and this team could be a decent squad two years from now.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I picked 18-19, strap in boys, it's gonna be awhile.

I would modify that to 17-18 if we get lucky with 2015 pick and whomever is an actual "generational" player as opposed to just really good eventually.

Bosswally

Aug 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I think 15-16 will be a heroic march to 9th (young team that will surprise people but ultimately fall short of the playoffs), 16-17 we will make it but bow out in the 1st or 2nd round (still too young), 17-18 is where we can start making some deep runs into the playoffs

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I voted 2016/17 based 70% on likelihood and 30% on optimism after two years of full blown tanking followed by a season of a tiny but growing dot of light as we near the end of the tunnel.

I could see Murray signing or trading for a top six forward in 2015 or 2016. By the start of the 2016/17 season we will have a clearer picture if Ullmark is going to be "the guy" or if we have to trade for a goalie. At that point the team could get away with trading a first round pick for a youngish goalie that will become our long-term starter.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

They don't need to with the insane amount of assets we have. Trading will be the likely path in the short term to bolster the roster. Murray will have his nose to the ground looking for possible players available and has the assets to make a trade happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad