What WOULDN'T you Trade for 1st Overall?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Basically I'm interested to see how highly people value #1OA this year. Usually it's valued pretty highly but this year seems like it's way less valuable to me. What assets on your team would be off the table in a discussion. Particularly, what assets would be off the table that wouldn't typically be out of the discussion for #1oA?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wanted to separate this from the OP but this was more or less inspired by me considering what on Detroit I'd actually give up.

I honestly don't think I'd trade Seider, Raymond, or Larkin for #1 this season. I just don't see a surefire elite talent. The centers particularly, I don't see anybody better than Larkin. And that's not really meant to be a compliment to Larkin either.

Reactions: DaveG

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
From the Canucks, I wouldn't trade Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat and possibly Demko. Now, that's not because I don't think there will be players in this draft that end up better (well, maybe not over Pettersson but the rest) but because this draft is such a crapshoot and nobody is a sure thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
This 1st OA? A lot...Kakko, Laf, Fox, Shesterkin, Panarin, Zibanejad, Lundkvist at least.

Reactions: Lays

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
From the Flames I probably trade any individual player for 1st overall this year, even if it's a down draft. If I knew I could re-sign Gaudreau he'd be off the table.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
From the Flames I probably trade any individual player for 1st overall this year, even if it's a down draft. If I knew I could re-sign Gaudreau he'd be off the table.

You don't wanna give up Tkachuk or Johnny for potentially Owen Power..... trust me. You wanna trade them both and your firstborn kid for Bedard if he's half as good as advertised.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
This ain't the year to covet #1. That's next year and 2023. Wright and Bedard are franchise-caliber players teams can only dream of getting lucky for
Unfortunately, my team won't be good enough to challenge for anything of merit and won't be bad enough to challenge for bottom of the standings. Both Wright and Bedard seem so close and, yet, so far. All we can hope for is lottery luck and, as a Canucks fan, we won't get any.

Mind you, I fully expect the Canucks to finally win first overall this year, only for 1OA to bust. That would be, in the words of Bobby Mac, "the most Vancouver thing ever", lol.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Power seems to have seen his stock really plummet on here.

There was a time when he was looked at as the next Hedman.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
A lot. Not as many #1 overalls are as impactful as you think. It was just we were spoiled for a while with Ovy, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares in a short period of time.

Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Mackinnon, Ekblad, McDavid, Matthews, Hischier, Dahlin, Hughes, Lafreniere

Basically three gamebreakers in the last 10 drafts went 1st overall. Many, probably all, of them except those three are not the best player from their draft several years later.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This ain't the year to covet #1. That's next year and 2023. Wright and Bedard are franchise-caliber players teams can only dream of getting lucky for

Nope. I'd be losing my shit if Detroit were getting these points next year, but I'm not too upset this year.

I do still want to be in the top 5, just because we badly need one of those top LHD, but that's about all I'm hoping for.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Seriously? I'd probably take Tkachuk over anybody in this draft. He's a rare breed of player in today's NHL, even if his production is a bit lacking this year.

I'd have to think about it. My worry with Tkachuk is his qualifying offer next summer is $9 million and he hasn't shown he can produce at that level. He's not meeting his current contract.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
A lot. Not as many #1 overalls are as impactful as you think. It was just we were spoiled for a while with Ovy, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares in a short period of time.

Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Mackinnon, Ekblad, McDavid, Matthews, Hischier, Dahlin, Hughes, Lafreniere

Basically three gamebreakers in the last 10 drafts went 1st overall. Many, probably all, of them except those three are not the best player from their draft several years later.

Hard to judge on the most recent three drafts. Those guys are all still young.

I want to say Dahlin's just going through growing pains on a poorly managed team, but you can only do that for so long without correction before it starts to become permanent.

Hughes could very well be the top player from 2019. He's got a lot of skill, but he's got a lot of competition. That Top 10 is absolutely loaded.

Lafreniere I argued before the draft has a lot of potential to be surpassed by Stutzle. Not that Lafreniere is bad. I just think Stutzle is special.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Hard to judge on the most recent three drafts. Those guys are all still young.

I want to say Dahlin's just going through growing pains on a poorly managed team, but you can only do that for so long without correction before it starts to become permanent.

Hughes could very well be the top player from 2019. He's got a lot of skill, but he's got a lot of competition. That Top 10 is absolutely loaded.

Lafreniere I argued before the draft has a lot of potential to be surpassed by Stutzle. Not that Lafreniere is bad. I just think Stutzle is special.
Still none of them are game-breaking team-carrying players. They don't hold the value that a "1st overall pick" would hold in a trade.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Still none of them are game-breaking team-carrying players. They don't hold the value that a "1st overall pick" would hold in a trade.

If Dahlin corrects course, I think he could be. But that's becoming more and more of a big ask as he continues to underwhelm.

I think you see more out of Hughes, too. He's still pretty small for the NHL, and NJD's wingers honestly aren't the best, yet.

McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon level? No, but if you had those frequently, they wouldn't be special.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Unfortunately, my team won't be good enough to challenge for anything of merit and won't be bad enough to challenge for bottom of the standings. Both Wright and Bedard seem so close and, yet, so far. All we can hope for is lottery luck and, as a Canucks fan, we won't get any. Mind you, I fully expect the Canucks to finally win first overall this year, only for 1OA to bust.

Anything is possible. I was utterly convinced the Lightning were gonna get the rest of the world to rage quit and win one of the 3 picks in the 2017 draft all the way from #16 and there was no budging me. And I'll be damned if it wasn't reported that the Lightning weren't the last number off of the winning combination for the #2 overall pick and we'd have friggin gotten Miro Heiskanen.

I know it's coulda, shoulda, woulda but had it actually happened I'd have been the least surprised person on earth. It may very well break that way for Vancouver one day

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Nope. I'd be losing my shit if Detroit were getting these points next year, but I'm not too upset this year.

I do still want to be in the top 5, just because we badly need one of those top LHD, but that's about all I'm hoping for.

Well my guy just pray you don't win this this year because the Wings are still gonna be rebuilding in 2022 and 2023 and you can only win #1 twice in 5 years. You REAALLLLYYYYY don't want to blow one of those on 2021

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Well my guy just pray you don't win this this year because the Wings are still gonna be rebuilding in 2022 and 2023 and you can only win #1 twice in 5 years. You REAALLLLYYYYY don't want to blow one of those on 2021

The two lottery cap doesn't go into effect until next year, for whatever reason.

I honestly dunno that we finish that low in 2023, anyways. Not saying we compete for a Cup, but we'll have added some pretty significant talent between now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad