Player Discussion What would you rather have the Canucks do in the offseason?

Canucks Offseason - drafting in the top 10 / Aggressive in free agency what would you rather do?

• Total voters

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver
If the Canucks get a top 10 draft pick this year and are aggressive in Free agency what would you rather see them do in the offseason. For example. Draft Boldy / sign Erik Karlsson or draft Byram / sign Panarin or any other mix you can think of.

Soderstrom / Duchene , Hughes / Myers ...... etc.

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver
I want the Canucks to draft a forward but - Draft Bo Byram / sign Panarin would be tempting.... apparently Quinn Hughes prefers the Right Side. The Canucks future d core would be unreal. Byrom, Juolevi on the left and Hughes, Woo on the right. Panarin can play with Horvat in the top 6.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Draft jack hughes and sign panarin and karlsson

Panarin - pettersson - boeser
______ - horvat - hughes

But in reality...benning signs myers/ gardiner with ntc and over pays for ferlund

Reactions: Alexander Edler

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Neither. They're going to sign a middling tier free agent winger and/or defenseman and it's going to be a disaster

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
If the Canucks get a top 10 draft pick this year and are aggressive in Free agency what would you rather see them do in the offseason. For example. Draft Boldy / sign Erik Karlsson or draft Byram / sign Panarin or any other mix you can think of.

Where is the option for draft the BPA?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Your poll options are the opposite of good and sensible. Therefore I refuse to answer said poll.

Think better next time.

Reactions: tyhee

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Draft BPA, always. 100% of the time. When you don't draft BPA you end up with bad picks like Juolevi over Tkachuk.

If you can sign Panarin and/or Erik Karlsson then go for it. If not, then stay out of free agency and focus on signing a couple undervalued veterans to 1-year deals where you can flip them for picks at the deadline. Of course, this will require new management because there's no way Benning isn't going to not overspend and add some more bad contracts to this team.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I would be up for doing something out of the box.

Let's say if were drafting 11-16th.

I'd be open to trading that pick for a legitimate NHLer like a nylander , pietrangelo or Huberdeau.

Then sign a UFA Dman/winger.

We would still have a pretty good 2nd rnd pick.

If were drafting top 10 then make the pick and gamble .

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Eh if you're drafting, you do your best to draft the best player at that draft position. If the player turned out not to be the best that's another story. But the premise of a draft should always aim for best player available, not by needs.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Draft BPA, always. 100% of the time. When you don't draft BPA you end up with bad picks like Juolevi over Tkachuk.

If you can sign Panarin and/or Erik Karlsson then go for it. If not, then stay out of free agency and focus on signing a couple undervalued veterans to 1-year deals where you can flip them for picks at the deadline. Of course, this will require new management because there's no way Benning isn't going to not overspend and add some more bad contracts to this team.

By itself there's nothing wrong with signing a Meyers or Gardiner type either. Top 4 dmen can be hard to acquire/develop, so if you have a hole but can acquire one in free agency it can work out quite well. Look at Niskanen in Washington or Stralman in Tampa. Previous management did really well bringing in Hamhuis and so-so with Garrison.

Of course the problem here comes down to not being able to trust Benning to pick the right dman or to not give a stupid contract.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Drafting Kaliyev at ~7 and signing Erik Karlsson would be first on my list.

If it's any dman other than Karlsson, **** no.
If not Karlsson (who I would blow the budget for), I would consider Jake Gardiner if the price/term is right though I would first try to persuade Tryamkin to return...

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If not Karlsson (who I would blow the budget for), I would consider Jake Gardiner if the price/term is right though I would first try to persuade Tryamkin to return...

Gardiner and Hughes are way too similar to have them occupying two different pairings.

I like him as a player but he'll also want too much.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
By itself there's nothing wrong with signing a Meyers or Gardiner type either. Top 4 dmen can be hard to acquire/develop, so if you have a hole but can acquire one in free agency it can work out quite well. Look at Niskanen in Washington or Stralman in Tampa. Previous management did really well bringing in Hamhuis and so-so with Garrison.

Of course the problem here comes down to not being able to trust Benning to pick the right dman or to not give a stupid contract.

The problem is, Myers and Gardiner will be grossly overpaid for what they're worth.

I really don't think we need to be overpaying one of those middle tier defensemen on the left side. You're going to lock someone up long-term to a bad contract that will ultimately block Hughes and/or Hutton as they continue to develop.

The right side is a bit different because we don't have anything there right now. Firstly, I would target Dante Fabbro in a trade. Then, if you can get someone like Erik Karlsson then you go for it. But someone like Tyler Myers is going to get grossly overpaid. Otherwise someone like Taylor Fedun would be a worthwhile gamble on a cheap contract.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Here is a more complete list:

PlayerAgeLengthCH%
Kris Letang27811.3
Dion Phaneuf29710.9
Dustin Byfuglien30510.4
John Carlson28810.1
Brent Seabrook3189.6
ME Vlasic3189.3
Mark Giordano3169.2
Kevin Shattenkirk2848.9
Keith Yandle2978.7
Jay Bouwmeester2958.4
Matt Niskanen2778.3
Erik Johnson2778.2
John Boychuk3178.2
Jeff Petry2768
Marc Staal2867.8
Andrew MacDonald2767.8
Andrej Sekera2967.7
Alex Goligoski3057.5
Andy Greene3157.2
AVERAGE2968.82
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

For fun, I'll go ahead and make that average my official prediction. 8.8% of cap @ 83M = 7.3M * 6 years = 6/47M for Myers

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I would be up for doing something out of the box.

Let's say if were drafting 11-16th.

I'd be open to trading that pick for a legitimate NHLer like a nylander , pietrangelo or Huberdeau.

Then sign a UFA Dman/winger.

We would still have a pretty good 2nd rnd pick.

If were drafting top 10 then make the pick and gamble .

Why?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Sign one of Karlsson, Myers, Gardiner in that order
Draft winger (or centre who also plays wing): one of Cozens, Dach, Boldy, and Krebs in the 6-10 range and in that order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad