Player Discussion What would you rather have the Canucks do in the offseason?

Canucks Offseason - drafting in the top 10 / Aggressive in free agency what would you rather do?

• Total voters

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I want the Canucks to do everything in their power to trade up to first overall. First one in franchise history on the heels of their 50th year... and with the draft being held at home...

This has to happen.

Depending on where we end up, I'd go as high as Boeser, Demko, and our first.

A little behind schedule but Markstrom has arrived and can easily be a top 10 goalie on a team without our pathetic D. Worry about a back up later.

Boeser? What can I say, gotta give to get.

Demko... I feel a little embarrassed to bring this up but I have on more than a few occasions heard/read from people I highly respect about possible attitude issues with Demko. "Headcase" was used to describe his mental state. I honestly hate bringing speculative crap like that up but when making a deal this significant no stone should be left unturned.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I want the Canucks to do everything in their power to trade up to first overall. First one in franchise history on the heels of their 50th year... and with the draft being held at home...

This has to happen.

A little behind schedule but Markstrom has arrived and can easily be a top 10 goalie on a team without our pathetic D. Worry about a back up later.

Demko... I feel a little embarrassed to bring this up but I have on more than a few occasions heard/read from people I highly respect about possible attitude issues with Demko. "Headcase" was used to describe his mental state. I honestly hate bringing speculative crap like that up but when making a deal this significant no stone should be left unturned.
Boeser has had a tough year compared to his rookie year (I believe it was because his rehab schedule never really gave him a chance to train properly in the off season),and Demko is unproven at the NHL level..You would be selling low on both players..Why would you do that?

A player like Ben Hutton is a player you could sell high on..

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

This has to happen.

If the draft lottery was held right now the most likely position we'd have to trade up from is 7th with the next most likely being 8th.

In addition to the last 1st OA pick being traded 16 years ago and even that was 3rd OA + Mikael Samuelsson. Not to mention that this was a deep but not top heavy draft.

Before that, was the '99 trade where Burke moved the 11th OA pick + McCabe up to 4th OA and then traded that and a pair of 3rd round picks up to 1st OA. All this in a weak draft where nobody thought there would be an impact player drafted in the 1st round. We hit huge with the Sedins, but nobody was super high on them at the time.

Given the hype around Hughes, we'd be looking at something like 7th OA + Boeser + our 2020 1st round pick to even get a team to pick up the phone. Add to that, perhaps Juolevi and Gaudette and they might make the trade.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If you don't BPA you end up with Juolevi's + Bourdon's instead of Tkachucks and Kopitars.

Also the 18 year old you draft should have zero bearing on which 30 year old FA you sign.

This is so filled with confirmation bias. How about all those that actually did work out?

Not that anyone could possibly know. And not that it would ever be possible to really tell why someone is picked. Was Dubois picked over Puljujarvi because of position? But then obviously Columbus "got lucky" ending up with the better player playing the more important position.

And back to Juolevi. What if they had picked Sergachev? Was the core problem here picking the D or picking the wrong D?

That said. I believe 100% in BPA. It is impossible to really know how your team will develop anyway so to "plan" your balance with first round picks seems stupid in any case.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Trade Markstrom and Sutter and load up on as many picks as possible.
Trade Tanev for Wennberg+conditional draft pick and put him on Pettersson's left wing.
Take on a one year cap dump like David Clarkson and/or Nathan Horton for more picks.
Draft the best available forward with our top pick, focus on defense in round 2 and 3.
Let Edler walk, don't qualify Granlund or Pouliot.
For defense, sign Ben Chiarot and Tim Heed to two year deals. Maybe overpay them a little if you have to but they are simply stop gaps until our picks develop.
Sign Ryan Miller to a one year deal to backup Demko.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Trade Tanev for Wennberg+conditional draft pick and put him on Pettersson's left wing.
Take on a one year cap dump like David Clarkson and/or Nathan Horton for more picks.
Draft the best available forward with our top pick, focus on defense in round 2 and 3.
For defense, sign Ben Chiarot and Tim Heed to two year deals. Maybe overpay them a little if you have to but they are simply stop gaps until our picks develop.
Guess we only need to only open the lower bowl for fan attendance then?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

That is objectively awful and ascribes absurd value to pieces that are nowhere near as valuable as you assume they are.

Why are we trading Markstrom when we have no idea if Demko is ready to be an NHL starter? He's played a total of 3 NHL games in his entire career for a GAA of almost 4 and a save percentage of under .900.

I agree with the idea of trading Sutter if he returns from injury before the end of the season.

Hard pass on a player in Wennberg who has declined from a 60 point player, to a 40 point (pace) player, to a 30 point (pace) player. He's scored 10 goals in his last 126 games getting top line minutes. Just no.

Which exact cap dump would you take, from which team, and why does that team need that player taken from them?

Why not take BPA even if it is a defenseman? Why not trade down if the BPA is a defenseman?

Why are we letting Edler walk when he's likely to give us a sweetheart deal?

Why are we signing Heed and Chiarot instead of just bringing back Pouliot and Schenn if they're just placeholders anyway?

When are you assuming Miller would even want to come back here instead of playing backup for either a better team or a team with less media scrutiny?

You'd turn this team into a complete joke and risk ruining Demko right when we're poised to take steps forward. This team is probably making the playoffs in two years just from the addition of Hughes and the clearing of dead weight and you want to piss that away for magic beans.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Guess we only need to only open the lower bowl for fan attendance then?

Oh yeah everyone's been banging down the door to get tickets to watch Erikson Gudbranson Granlund Schaller Miller Bartkowski Vrbata Vey Etem Sbisa Sutter Prust Pedan Skille Chaput Megna Larsen Boucher Gagner Del Zotto Nillsson Leipsic Jokinen Pouliot Motte Burmistrov Beagle etc.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad