Speculation: What would you give up for Brayden Schenn?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd be interested enough in Schenn to risk Ehrhoff's recapture on him...

I doubt anyone wants to give up Myers for him. (I know I don't, at least.) Assuming most see our future top 4 having Myers and Ristolainen on the right side, would you consider moving Pysyk for Schenn? Is that close one-for-one?

yes.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
No. No no no no no.

I'll take my soon to be career #2 defenseman- my smooth skating, cerebral, minute-eating defenseman, over the second coming of Rich Peverly.

Pysyk for Ryan O'Reilly? That's a different story...

We'd definitely need to give up more than Pysyk for ROR., IMO.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No. No no no no no.

I'll take my soon to be career #2 defenseman- my smooth skating, cerebral, minute-eating defenseman, over the second coming of Rich Peverly.

I would definitely "consider" it... Which is what I was asked.

I'm also not on the "Pysyk's future is settled"... Good luck with that though

Why would I consider it? I think a Tallinder for Sharp "future" comparison is more apt...
(Tallinder was great in his prime)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No. No no no no no.

Thats not happening anytime soon, if ever. He struggles quite a bit against bigger skill players due to lack of size and strength and brings little offense to the table. I don't see that changing much (the offense that is). You're overrating Pysyk.

And the second coming of Rich Peverly? :laugh: Come on.

Also to be factored in is we have a ton of defensive talent in the system. We don't have it up front.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Thats not happening anytime soon, if ever. He struggles quite a bit against bigger skill players due to lack of size and strength and brings little offense to the table. I don't see that changing much (the offense that is).

You're overrating Pysyk.

While he was overrating Pysyk, I don't agree with your analysis of his game either. But that's a topic for another thread.

I would have to consider Pysyk for Schenn. Position of organizational strength for position of organizational weakness. A good hockey trade.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Pysyk acquired an inordinate amount of Teflon very quickly around here... It was odd...

Some how he's managed to play terrible for the last few weeks and escaped almost any criticism around here

:dunno:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Pysyk acquired an inordinate amount of Teflon very quickly around here... It was odd...

Some how he's managed to play terrible for the last few weeks and escaped almost any criticism around here

I like the kid a lot, but I agree. Pysyk has his warts and Joshjull is spot on with his assessment. A lot of people have just been won over with how smart and steady he was to start the year. I never see him being this great #2 defenseman with his good not great skillset. He has no dynamic abilities like Zadorov or Ristolainen, those are guys who I can see anchoring a 1st pairing due to their offensive skillset/physicality tools that Pysyk just doesn't have. He's likely to be a really good 2nd pairing guy and that's valuable, but I'll take Schenn over him 10 times out of 10. If Schenn pans out he becomes a 1st line talent, if not I think he'll be a good top 6 player who plays with some jam. Sign me up. It's likely a moot point though because I think Philly could land a better defenseman than Pysyk if they're legitimately shopping Schenn.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Thats not happening anytime soon, if ever. He struggles quite a bit against bigger skill players due to lack of size and strength and brings little offense to the table. I don't see that changing much (the offense that is). You're overrating Pysyk.

And the second coming of Rich Peverly? :laugh: Come on.

Also to be factored in is we have a ton of defensive talent in the system. We don't have it up front.

Agreed that he's been crap as of late. But I stand by my statement that he'll eventually become a very solid #2.

Maybe the Peverly comparison was a bit harsh, but Schenn is so overrated on HF Boards, just like his brother was initially too. I think he'll be a solid player in this league but I'm not salivating and selling the farm for him like I am with other possible available players in ROR, Hanzal (back in the day), Getzlaf a few years ago, Pronger when he was on the block, etc. I don't see him as a key piece going forward. I'd obviously be thrilled to have him, but not at the cost it would take is essentially my point.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica

You're right, but I think the Teflon was from watching a guy who could play any semblance of a steady defensive game on the worst defensive team in hockey.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
McCabe is the only thing that possibly makes Pysyk expendable to me...depends on how each of us values him and how quick we see him stepping up...we have no other guy aside from Ehrhoff capable of doing what Pysyk can do.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
McCabe is the only thing that possibly makes Pysyk expendable to me...depends on how each of us values him and how quick we see him stepping up...we have no other guy aside from Ehrhoff capable of doing what Pysyk can do.

:laugh:
yea...
(i mean no)

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
We don't need Schenn. We need finishers. Particularly snipers on the wings, first line elite RW and LW talent.

And we need a legit #1 Superstar center.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Pysyk reminds me a lot of Robidas...and if he close to him I will be ecstatic. As for Schenn never been a huge fan of him or his brother, but as posters eluded to earlier we need Nhl ready talent. I would be ok with

Moulson
Tallinder
For
Schenn
2015 2nd

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

I think Ruhwedel deserves some mention in that conversation.

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
Pysyk reminds me a lot of Robidas...and if he close to him I will be ecstatic. As for Schenn never been a huge fan of him or his brother, but as posters eluded to earlier we need Nhl ready talent. I would be ok with

Moulson
Tallinder
For
Schenn
2015 2nd

expiring contract
expiring contract
for
top flight RFA
2nd rounder in a deep draft.

i'd be ok with that too. what about reality, though?

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I'd add to this package

if we could get Schenn without giving up Myers... I'd do it...

it's weird to me how much fans lose interest in young players who aren't immediately super stars.

Well after tonight I'd subtract from it. Awareness and foot speed not optimal. One play where Schenn was nearly on top of Myers on the forecheck, Myers does one crossover and two strides and is already 15 feet away with the puck, and Schenn trying to figure out what happened, and not trying all that hard to get back into it. Hockey IQ, meh. To me, Brayden Schenn is to centers what Luke Schenn is to defense. Lots of hype from junior, but not a lot to his game that makes me think he's a top 2 liner at the highest level.

I'd consider Grigo straight up just because of the bust factor. Note, I said "consider"

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Agreed that he's been crap as of late. But I stand by my statement that he'll eventually become a very solid #2.

Maybe the Peverly comparison was a bit harsh, but Schenn is so overrated on HF Boards, just like his brother was initially too. I think he'll be a solid player in this league but I'm not salivating and selling the farm for him like I am with other possible available players in ROR, Hanzal (back in the day), Getzlaf a few years ago, Pronger when he was on the block, etc. I don't see him as a key piece going forward. I'd obviously be thrilled to have him, but not at the cost it would take is essentially my point.

Fair enough

I don't see Schenn as a savior or anything. I see him as something we don't have much of right now. A top 6 offensive talent. That he can play center is a bonus. Trading Pysyk for him is swapping an organizational strength for a weakness.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It sucks that the Sabres no longer have Sekera and his tiny contract as he would've been a great piece to a Schenn acquisition package.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Schenn is no better/worse than Hodgson defensively
Hodgson has significantly improved his skating to the point that there is no difference between he and Hodgson

I'd say Schenn has a higher offensive ceiling, but Cody will remain the better center, while Schenn will most likely slot in on the wing (on a contender), with center capability/versatility like Patrick Sharp.

no way Philly trades a 2015 1st.... come on now...

your trade breaks down to McNabb for Philly's 2015 1st... that's bad man...

Fair Assessment.

I actually had Myers in my mind but typed Mcnabb. :laugh:

I don't really see the similarities between them. I think Schenn has a better first step, much quicker acceleration, and where Cody seems to sink his skates into the ice when he is skating, Schenn seems to skate with more of a choppy style and seems to bring his legs up to provide more power than what Cody has.

I understand why people like him and understand why people wouldn't want to give him up, but the way I see it, Brayden brings the type of game that we should be wanting to move towards. I'm not saying he should be our #1 Center but he's the type of player that we can use in the rebuild process and further.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
He's fine to pursue and would fit in going forward, but the price has to be right. I think it's way too early to give up on Myers, and I wouldn't include ANY 1sts. Those restrictions may preclude a deal, and I'm fine with that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad