Speculation: What would you give up for Brayden Schenn?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
In which case the Islanders would make that pick. Such an outcome is the exact reason Snow negotiated that clause into the trade. That pick is definitely trade-able, especially in light of this new regime's purportedly sped up timetable in general, and Lafontaine's stated willingness to trade picks for young up and coming NHLers in particular. Schenn fits that description to a T.

NYI's 2015 pick is gold, then. Bottom five team that loses its top line LW? You might be trading Schenn for McDavid.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My guess is that if the Sabres aren't willing to move Myers, then they aren't getting Schenn.

How many people want to give up Myers to get Schenn?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Not me. If I'm trading Myers, it's for somebody who can actually play defense. I wish Brandon Sutter was riding the struggle bus in Pittsburgh harder than he is.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
My guess is that if the Sabres aren't willing to move Myers, then they aren't getting Schenn.

How many people want to give up Myers to get Schenn?

On second thought, it's a very close call for me. That's all I'm gonna say. I would not be outraged by either decision.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time...+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

Simmonds 47.4%
Vinny L. 36.4%
Voracek 30.6%
Hartnell 19.5%

That's 5 on 5 linemates

Are we looking at him as a winger or a center? How much is he the product of who his linemates are? As a center Schenn is similar to Hodgson.

Philadelphia likely would be asking for Myers or Zadorov

some may want to instead ofer McNabb+ forward prospect. Which forward prospect?

IMO Schenn alone isnt a difference maker. He alone isnt going to change the way the team is playing.

Id rather wait and evaluate the talent in the system and get a better handle of wh is tradeable and who isnt.

Trades like this I would probably be more willing to do in 2015/16 season

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I guess if I had an inkling to deal for Schenn, I'd offer Moulson and McNabb.

My focus would be to try and keep my 1st(s) and 2nds in this draft. Schenn would be a good complimentary piece but our need for scoring wingers is glaring.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Myers for Schenn,no way!

Leaf fan stumbled upon this. I'm not sure what is wrong with Myers but there is no way I would trade him for B.Schenn. Schenn seems to be a victim of overhype and doesn't have any qualities which project him as a number one C. He may even fade into a number 3 C, easy to find. If Philly wants Myers they will need to add drastically to that offer, like Voracek plus Schenn.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Schenn would be a useful piece but I think he tops out as the # 4/5 best player on a good team.

With where the Sabres are now which is at least a few years from competing again I don't think they should go after Schenn because he'd take valuable assets to acquire well not making the team much better.

Instead I think the Sabres should go the route of finding:
-signing veteran UFA stop gaps to let prospects develop properly

-trading for overpaid veterans that will be UFAs within the next few years that would cost little to nothing to acquire but can be flipped later on for extra picks/prospects (this is now especially beneficial cause Sabres can retain caphit to make good but simply overpaid players attractive to other teams)

-giving opportunities to youngish players who aren't working out with their current team that can be brought in for little to nothing but have potential (like how Islanders found Grabner/Moulson or Toronto found Grabo/Lupul/CMac or Chicago with Sharp/Versteeg (1st time). Some players simply just need a chance which Buffalo can offer and try to find one of these diamonds in the rough.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Hodgson is the top of my list.

I think Schenn would bring what we would like to see out of Hodgson. Though Hodgson has a more higher end offensive game, his lack of wanting to hit, coupled with his inept skating makes me want to trade him for a more complete two-way player who will HIT and is responsible in his end.

I feel Schenn is a player you can kind of build around more than Cody. Now if we're able to keep both, then I would have no issue with that, but if Philly says I want Hodgson + Mcnabb, or even Hodgson + Ehrhoff for Schenn + 2015 1st pick, I take that all day long.

So to recap:
Philly Gets:
Hodgson
Mcnabb/Ehrhoff

Buffalo Gets:
Schenn
2015 1st Round
(willing to take Salary)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I think Schenn would bring what we would like to see out of Hodgson. Though Hodgson has a more higher end offensive game, his lack of wanting to hit, coupled with his inept skating makes me want to trade him for a more complete two-way player who will HIT and is responsible in his end.

I feel Schenn is a player you can kind of build around more than Cody. Now if we're able to keep both, then I would have no issue with that, but if Philly says I want Hodgson + Mcnabb, or even Hodgson + Ehrhoff for Schenn + 2015 1st pick, I take that all day long.

So to recap:
Philly Gets:
Hodgson
Mcnabb/Ehrhoff

Buffalo Gets:
Schenn
2015 1st Round
(willing to take Salary)

Schenn is no better/worse than Hodgson defensively
Hodgson has significantly improved his skating to the point that there is no difference between he and Hodgson

I'd say Schenn has a higher offensive ceiling, but Cody will remain the better center, while Schenn will most likely slot in on the wing (on a contender), with center capability/versatility like Patrick Sharp.

no way Philly trades a 2015 1st.... come on now...

your trade breaks down to McNabb for Philly's 2015 1st... that's bad man...

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Quite a bit, but like Jame, I'd be more interested in a young two-way center.

I've been looking at rosters league-wide (with an emphasis on contenders) trying to pick out some young players that could fit into the rebuild. Guys in the Drury/Briere mold; 20-somethings with experience. I always come back to the Oshies of the league.

Ok, I'd understand that reasoning if it was two years ago, but now? Between Larsson, Girgensons, Compher, and maybe Kea down the road, shouldn't we be set at the position of the 3rd line/2nd line two way center at least prospect-wise? I'd say yes. Would I welcome someone like Couturier with open arms if he came at a reasonable price? Sure, but other than that I'd prefer someone young with first line upside.

And for the present, who cares, since we are tanking anyway (well, ticket holders care, I know, but what can you do.)

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Mark Pysyk for Brayden Schenn seems like fair value. However, I wouldn't have any interest in moving Pysyk, kid's a stud.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Ok, I'd understand that reasoning if it was two years ago, but now? Between Larsson, Girgensons, Compher, and maybe Kea down the road, shouldn't we be set at the position of the 3rd line/2nd line two way center at least prospect-wise? I'd say yes. Would I welcome someone like Couturier with open arms if he came at a reasonable price? Sure, but other than that I'd prefer someone young with first line upside.

Girgensons' future in this organization is on the wing.

Larsson projects to be a shutdown center.

Hodgson and Grigorenko lean more towards the offensive side of things.

I'm looking for an All-situations center of the Kesler, Backes, Bergeron mold. The No. 1 line offensive talent can be acquired at the top of the draft.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

So to recap:
Philly Gets:
Hodgson
Mcnabb/Ehrhoff

Buffalo Gets:
Schenn
2015 1st Round
(willing to take Salary)

Trading Hodgson as part of package to get Schenn makes no sense. We need to add centers and talent not tread water by swapping two similar level centers.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Girgensons' future in this organization is on the wing.

Larsson projects to be a shutdown center.

Hodgson and Grigorenko lean more towards the offensive side of things.

I'm looking for an All-situations center of the Kesler, Backes, Bergeron mold. The No. 1 line offensive talent can be acquired at the top of the draft.

You don't pass on a chance to add potential top 6 young talent because you hope a bunch of unproven prospects/players all slot into their projected spots. If the price is too high so be it. But adding talent up front is a big need.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd add to this package

if we could get Schenn without giving up Myers... I'd do it...

it's weird to me how much fans lose interest in young players who aren't immediately super stars.

I agree with Zip that there is a bit of redundancy with him and Hodgson... but you can't ignore the talent, and you can't ignore the need we have at center for talent.

Would I much rather get a Couturier/Oreilly... definitely... but if we could leverage some of our depth in unproven assets, for a high end asset that has already started "proving" himself... the quicker the rebuild...

we probably don't have the asset Philly wants (a proven top defensemen).... but boy would it be nice if the recapture on Ehrhoff didn't exist... because an Ehrhoff for Schenn deal would be perfect.

People are down on Schenn because of the time his development curve is taking... the same people were down on Kadri a year ago as well...

I'd be interested enough in Schenn to risk Ehrhoff's recapture on him...

I doubt anyone wants to give up Myers for him. (I know I don't, at least.) Assuming most see our future top 4 having Myers and Ristolainen on the right side, would you consider moving Pysyk for Schenn? Is that close one-for-one?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
You don't pass on a chance to add potential top 6 young talent because you hope a bunch of unproven prospects/players all slot into their projected spots. If the price is too high so be it. But adding talent up front is a big need.

I agree completely. I just don't think top line talent can be acquired in trade. You draft those players. That's why the top three picks have been so coveted around here. :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree completely. I just don't think top line talent can be acquired in trade. You draft those players. That's why the top three picks have been so coveted around here. :laugh:

I'm not following what this has to do with trading for Schenn.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad