Proposal: What would you give for Markov ?

djpass

1- Let's pretend your intention is also to sign Markov after the season and have the resources to do so (in terms of projected $$ & years).If you were a GM looking to solidify your defence squad and upgrade your powerplay in time for the playoffs in order to make a run for the cup, what would you be ready to give for Markov ?

2- Which teams could be more inclined to offer the most at the trade deadline ?

3- Could a guy like Paul Holmgren be tempted to trade, 1 on 1, guys like either Simmonds or Voracek for Markov...for instance ?

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
1- Let's pretend your intention is also to sign Markov after the season and have the resources to do so (in terms of projected $$ & years).If you were a GM looking to solidify your defence squad and upgrade your powerplay in time for the playoffs in order to make a run for the cup, what would you be ready to give for Markov ?

3- Could a guy like Paul Holmgren be tempted to trade, 1 on 1, either Simmonds or Voracek for Markov...for instance as an example ?

Sign him 3 years 5.75m per

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Unfortunately i think MB signs him for 3 more years maybe 4.
In doing so we will have another Kaberle in 2 years time.

It would be nice to see what kind of return we can get for him!
I'm thinking a 1st plus prospect might be the return.

I think his showing in the Olympics will determine his faith!

djpass

Unfortunately i think MB signs him for 3 more years maybe 4.
In doing so we will have another Kaberle in 2 years time.

It would be nice to see what kind of return we can get for him!
I'm thinking a 1st plus prospect might be the return.

I think his showing in the Olympics will determine his faith!

I think the worst scenario is to keep him just to make the playoffs and then simply lose him by not being able to agree to new terms after the season...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
To Detroit, they're loaded with prospects and are historically not shy of trading picks.

Avs might be an interesting trade partner too.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
If Markov has new legs then yes at $5.5 million but he's not really that faster than Donut Murray so I would let him walk. Beaulieu looks almost ready. If we can surround Beaulieu and Tinordi with better defense partners other than Boullion, Diaz, Murray, Gorges, then we should be okay.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Either re-sign him or trade him to the highest bidder. Teams like Anaheim, Philly, Washington and Detroit would probably be interested.

Something like:

Anaheim 1st (~#30) + Nicolas Kerdiles/Shea Theodore
or
Ottawa 1st (~#13) + Stefan Noesen/Nick Sorensen

Philly 1st (~#16) + Tye McGinn/Robert Hagg

Washington 1st (~#9) + Stanislav Galiev

Detroit 1st (~#11) + Zach Nastasiuk

I wouldnt trade Markov for much less than one of these packages.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
As slow as he was with his 35 year old legs tonight, what GM would give up much, especially a good prospect, for him? For the Habs or any other team he is now just a short term filler, and the Habs might as well just get the best value they can from him by re-signing him at a lower short term contract and using him for that role.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

3- Could a guy like Paul Holmgren be tempted to trade, 1 on 1, guys like either Simmonds or Voracek for Markov...for instance ?

It may be time to get some assets for Andrei.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
I was actually looking for a Markov discussion thread. Even when he was playing better earlier this yr, I was worried about him aging badly. And now I'm VERY worried MB will give him too long a deal ; 3 yrs = too long.

He's never been fleet-footed and has now slowed down noticeably. This team isn't cup material. It's time to trade him while his value is still good.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
1 - A 1st round pick and a good prospect

What would you say is the price difference between Markov as strictly a rental with no contract extension commitment with the acquiring team vs. Markov signing a contract extension with his new team as part of the deal?

habsrock76

Sep 21, 2006
Ottawa
Were in a really tough spot with Markov:

- he's been a franchise player
- clearly loves Montreal (became Canadian Citizen)
- were currently in a playoff spot (maybe not for much longer)
- he has a no trade clause

I'd gladly take a 1st round and a prospect but I don't think MB has the balls to trade him considering the reasons above.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
What would you say is the price difference between Markov as strictly a rental with no contract extension commitment with the acquiring team vs. Markov signing a contract extension with his new team as part of the deal?

An extended Markov could get a top 5 prospect (organization wise), a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick IMO.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006

always tough to say ; really depends on what term/$$$ Markov is looking for. Anyway it almost never happens that way : if Markov is traded, he'll want to wait for after the season to sign anything.

Detroit really makes a ton of sense. Xavier Ouellet and a 1st ? (Then package Beaulieu or Tinordi for a young forward ?)

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
4 years at whatever Andrei wants. I said $6.5M a while back I will stick to that.

There is no way Markov is traded .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad