What would YOU do if you were the GM?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Other:
1) I would have Roy explain his thinking/opinion on all 2014 offseason decisions and decisions made so far in the season.
2) I would find out how my core players (Landy, Dutch, MacK, EJ, Varly) view the current stat of the team and specifically the chemistry of the locker room.
3) I would find out how "really good/important in the room" McLeod and ROR are.
4) Start now trying to trade as much as possible from the following list
- ROR (unless deemed an important or core player)
- McLeod (see ROR)
- Holden
- Stuart (if decent return)
- Iginla (if he wants to cup chase or return to Calgary)
- Berra
- Briere
5) possibly ask Roy if Tim Army should be let go
6) highly consider letting Dean go in LEM

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Its funny cause I think that was the intention with ROR when they drafted him.
I actually like the idea of putting him back as that role for now
but I think long term he doesnt see himself that way anymore and neither does the rest of the league.

I can start to see why Roy wanted to have 2 scoring lines, 2 checking lines.
That 3rd C spot is a tricky position. You either get guys who are adept at one or the other, but rarely both? Sutter and Eller are prob the ideal 3rd C

He'll be too expensive now. Vermette for me is the perfect 3C for us. Good size, fast, faceoffs, can play anywhere in the lineup as needed. To be honest though he'll probably go to somewhere where he'll get top 6 minutes and I don't blame him.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
He'll be too expensive now. Vermette for me is the perfect 3C for us. Good size, fast, faceoffs, can play anywhere in the lineup as needed. To be honest though he'll probably go to somewhere where he'll get top 6 minutes and I don't blame him.

Hence the difficulty. Actually finding a tweener 3c is tougher than I thought unless you go full on checking line guy like your Gordons or Brodziaks, Stoll but thats lame.
Maybe its a position that has a expiration date. Like you know at some point this guy will want to be paid like a 2nd or in some cases a 1st line center so you cycle out the player every 4 years.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Tank. Really didn't want to ever have to do it again, but there is no way our current team can win 40 of 54 to make it in. It's hard enough for this team to win two in a row. Might as well get a great prospect for the seriously lacking prospect pool.

Keep Duchene, Mack, Varly, Barrie and EJ. Make everyone else available and try to assemble the best possible blueline for a change in strategy. I'm wondering how we would do if the blueline was no longer a concern. We would need to replace quality wingers, but isn't that easier than finding stud defenseman?

Have goalie, blueline, and top two center locked down. Given our history with forwards, and the amount of UFA forwards compared UFA defenseman it might be easier for us build having those areas already covered.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Tank. Really didn't want to ever have to do it again, but there is no way our current team can win 40 of 54 to make it in. It's hard enough for this team to win two in a row. Might as well get a great prospect for the seriously lacking prospect pool.

Keep Duchene, Mack, Varly, Barrie and EJ. Make everyone else available and try to assemble the best possible blueline for a change in strategy. I'm wondering how we would do if the blueline was no longer a concern. We would need to replace quality wingers, but isn't that easier than finding stud defenseman?

Have goalie, blueline, and top two center locked down. Given our history with forwards, and the amount of UFA forwards compared UFA defenseman it might be easier for us build having those areas already covered.

This

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
trade all the vets I could except mitchell. The only safe players would be Landeskog, Mackinnon, Varlamov, Duchene, Barrie and Johnson.

Try and get picks for the vets and either give hishon and elliot a chance in the NHL or trade them as well.

Try and resign ROR longterm but if he doesn't want to trade him and some picks for Evander Kane and jets 1st in 2015 or 2016.

forward group-landeskog, mackinnon, Duchene, everberg, kane, Mitchell, mcginn, bordeleau, rendulic
defence group-EJ, barrie, siemens, bigras, redmond
goalies-varlamov+pickard

so 2015/16

landeskog-mackinnon-kane
everberg-duchene-?
mcginn-mitchell-rendulic
bordeleau-?-?

?-EJ
siemens-barrie
bigras-redmond

varlamov
pickard

sign a top 6 winger and try and get yandle or another toppish pairing lhd

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
When we get rid off ROR. Landy will be our only elite two-way player. He is also on the best long term contract on this team. Landy for 5.57M for so long is very good. Add captaincy to that. And yes, he is untouchable.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
First thing I'd do if I were gm is ask Iginla if he wants to sit through a minor rebuild. Then I would trade RoR for a good dman and 3rd line winger, Hejda for pick, Holden (trade him for anything), Talbot. Instruct Roy to bury Guenin in the minors. Call up Elliott and I guess Hishon. See if briere is willing to sign dirt cheap for a year or two. Roll with this lineup:

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Briere
Mcginn-Hishon-trade piece
McLeod-Mitchell-Winchester

Trade piece-EJ
Stuart-Barrie
Redmond-Elliott

All feasible moves. Nothing ridiculous like signing both sekera and methot, which we know is not happening. And anyway all these moves could be made in one week right now.

Oh, and then I would tank. Tank like I've never tanked before.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
When we get rid off ROR. Landy will be our only elite two-way player. He is also on the best long term contract on this team. Landy for 5.57M for so long is very good. Add captaincy to that. And yes, he is untouchable.

Eh, I don't think the word elite and Landy belong anywhere in the same sentence. I got nothing against him. He's a good player, and definitely adds a lot to the team. However, if we were to change our strategy and make the defense as beastly as possible, and it required us to sacrifice Landy, I'd do it.

That being said, I think the brass thinks like you do and Landy isn't going anywhere. The question though, was what would you do if you were GM.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I would shop Ryan O'Reilly for a defenseman. One I'd target is Tyler Myers.

Other than that, I'd stay the course.

Depending on how bad of a situation the Avalanche are in at the deadline, I'd start moving veterans- to add future assets, give playing time to younger players, and drop lower in the standings.

If things turned around, I would only move player for player (defenseman); not future asset for player.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would shop Ryan O'Reilly for a defenseman. One I'd target is Tyler Myers.

Other than that, I'd stay the course.

Depending on how bad of a situation the Avalanche are in at the deadline, I'd start moving veterans- to add future assets, give playing time to younger players, and drop lower in the standings.

If things turned around, I would only move player for player (defenseman); not future asset for player.

Might I ask why him? Unless you'd plan on playing either him or Barrie on the 3rd pair, I'm not sure why you'd want to go after him. He can't play the left side, so it'd be pretty pointless to move ROR for him when what we need is a LHD, not a RHD

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Might I ask why him? Unless you'd plan on playing either him or Barrie on the 3rd pair, I'm not sure why you'd want to go after him. He can't play the left side, so it'd be pretty pointless to move ROR for him when what we need is a LHD, not a RHD

Barrie can play the left side, they played together in the WHL.

Of all of the defensemen *seemingly/potentially* available, Myers is the only guy in the league that could turn into another Zdeno Chara/Rob Blake.

Additionally, he has four more seasons left on his contract.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Really don't know how else to put this. Our defensive prospect pool is fine. In a few years our blue line will be ok, I wouldn't mind just getting another band aid top pairing guy if we can't draft a Hanifin type.

We aren't scoring at all though. We need a 3C that can make us a threat from every line... Or at least one that can shut down top lines and let our top 6 feast on weaker pairings.

As of right now our bottom 6 is bad on all 200 feet. That's the biggest problem imo.

If they keep developing well. Unfortunately for them to keep developing smoothly we need to be very careful about giving them the time they need, which is why I think we desperately need to add a legit EJ partner for at least the next 3-4 seasons. With that guy on board, Stuart around for two more season, and Holden/Guenin for our kids to beat out for the 6th dman job we'd be in a good spot to be really patient with our kids and maximize their upside.

Granted if we can get the most out of Bigras, Siemens and Gaertsen, we could have a genuinely top tier set of defense men. In time Bigras can be a near perfect EJ partner. Siemens could give us a really excellent #3 like Brad Stuart used to be, only with a better outlet pass. Meanwhile Gaertsen really has put himself on the map as a possible NHL stay at home dmen who should still be competent with the puck, even as he moves up the chain.

But that involves nothing going wrong for all three kids and them continuing to develop well. If that doesn't happen we're stuck with interesting long shots like Butcher, Woods, Corbett, Beaupre and whomever I'm forgetting. While all of those guys are interesting in their own ways, I feel the chances are pretty low we get a long solution out of that group and will be pretty pleased if one of them can become a legit third pairing guy, and not just be alright in a pinch like Stollery.

As for the 3C I think Malkin's grown into a genuinely quality 3rd center. He's good defensively, doesn't get pushed around, has really good hands and a really good shot for a bottom 6 guy, and this year he even managed to complete some passes before getting hurt. If we could flank him with guys like McGinn and Everberg that'd be a really good third line. Plus if Winchester gets healthy he should be a really good 4th line C for us, unfortunately he'll be stuck with cody on one side for quite a while, but Talbot-Winch should be an awesome PK duo and good 4th line duo. The problem has been that our bottom 6 has just been decimated by injuries this year and we still need a little more depth, or for our kids to grow a little more.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm not so high on Siemens, based on what I'm hearing. He's not exactly tearing up the AHL or even a consistently good defensive dman. Bigras and Elliott are much more promising.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not so high on Siemens, based on what I'm hearing. He's not exactly tearing up the AHL or even a consistently good defensive dman. Bigras and Elliott are much more promising.

Siemens played really well tonight. I don't get the schizophrenia type attitude towards the players, especially the prospects. Either they are going to be the hero that saves the season and franchise or they are a mistake and a terrible bust. How about teenagers and 21 year olds are inconsistent and need time?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Siemens played really well tonight. I don't get the schizophrenia type attitude towards the players, especially the prospects. Either they are going to be the hero that saves the season and franchise or they are a mistake and a terrible bust. How about teenagers and 21 year olds are inconsistent and need time?

I expect Siemens to become a bottom pairing defenseman for us. Maybe a decent #4 in the future. But bottom pairing for next season or something would please me.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

To be fair I personally have never really said Siemens would come in and save the day. I was even against drafting him in the first place. I don't watch him but I've heard negative things. I do think, though, he could be an effective bottom pairing player.

For bigras the sky is the limit. Same thing for Elliott if he improves defensively.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Of the three Elliott is the least likely. He plays well in the AHL but that hasn't been his problem. How many times are people going to say "but only if he can defend in the NHL"? I agree Bigras has the most potential. The year he's having and all his tools look great but can he do it in pro? That's fine if you've never been high on Siemens and he's obviously not on the fast track. But it's either a crime around here that he hasn't been called up or he's a total bust. Maybe playing in the AHL is what's best for him right now? If I mention one thing about him not being a superstar down there it just totally changes everyone's perception of him and that's not fair.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's kind of hilarious how some people assume that if you're not a PPG+ player in the AHL you're a bust, even if you're a second year defensive dman who had an injury take him out for a good bit right in the middle of his first pro season.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If you inherited the team for the rest of the year, what would you do?

Ride it out and see what happens.

If at the deadline the team is a long shot or completely out of it, you cut as much off the roster as you can. (Stuart, McLeod, and Berra are top priorities, but hard to move, maybe trade McGinn, Holden, or Hejda in the right deal, Tanguay, O'Reilly, or Iginla could be had in a perfect deal)

If we are going there, draft McDavid or Eichel at the draft.

Sign:
Staal 35 Mill over 6 years = 5.999 cap hit, keeping him below the Duchene line, even if symbolically.
Ehrhoff 23.2 Mill over 4 years = 5.800 cap hit
Hejda 8 Mill over 2 years = 4 cap hit (or keep Stuart)
Upshall 5 Mill over 2 years = 2.5 cap hit (or your choice of vet 2 way winger)
Cal O'Reilly 1.2 Mill over 2 years = 600k cap hit (attempt to woo Ryan by bringing in his bro as a decent depth NHL/AHL forward)

If unable to move Stuart at the deadline, push extremely hard to move him over the summer, worst case if unable to move Stuart you don't sign Hejda and Stuart takes the 3rd pair spot.

FORWARDS
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($0.925m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.333m)
Jamie McGinn ($2.950m) / C McDavid ($0.925m) / Scottie Upshall ($2.500m)
Cody McLeod ($1.333m) / John Mitchell ($1.800m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Christian Ehrhoff ($5.500m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Marc Staal ($6.000m) / Tyson Barrie ($2.600m)
Jan Hejda ($4.000m) / Zach Redmond ($0.750m)

Depth
Nick Holden ($1.650m) / Cal O'Reilly ($0.600m) / Jesse Winchester ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($5.900m)
Reto Berra ($1.450m)

SALARY CAP: $73,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,688,085; BONUSES: $2,850,000

Depending on how things shake out moving forward, you eventually have to decide between O'Reilly, Mac, Duchene, and McDavid to trade, but that sets the roster up for a good while.

Or, the more realistic approach, sell off some vets, draft smart, and wait......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad