What would YOU do if you were the GM?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If you inherited the team for the rest of the year, what would you do?

I would force another GM to trade me a quality D man for my scrubs. You know...have Patrick Roy at the next BOG meeting and have him point at Nashville's GM and then at the center of the board room table.... :sarcasm:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
tank-1.jpg

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Trade the UFA's, and see if you can dump off a few veteran contracts that extend into next season (like Talbot for example).

I'd save the big trades for the summer, like ROR.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Stay the course until late January then if (when) the Avs are near the bottom: trade away all the UFAs, make a couple prospect swaps (Aitto and Hishon would top the list), shop players like Talbot/McLeod/Holden/Berra to see if there is any market for them (Talbot probably has one), and test the market for ROR (a trade doesn't have to happen here, but entertain it).

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Play it cool and don't trade anyone from the core, ship Danny B and Hejda at the deadline.

Trade ROR in the summer. And at the same time try to find a team that wants to dump a D for a second. Like Garrison last summer.

Actively try to find any team willing to take on Stuart, Holden, Berra, Guenin, Cliche, McLeod, Bordy. If we could manage to dump just about one of the above I'm having a party.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Do what it takes to get Siemens up here. It sucks but Holden is a one hit wonder. If Siemens can't be a serviceable NHL defensemen it will set the org back quite a bit. Might as well give him 20 or so NHL games before next season. The team is running out of top 4 dman options.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Trade the UFA's, and see if you can dump off a few veteran contracts that extend into next season (like Talbot for example).

I'd save the big trades for the summer, like ROR.

This one.
Briere, and Hejda together could get us a solid return
Then.
See if one of the teams in that sweet spot zone of the draft (9-11)would like ROR, then either use both picks to move up and draft a high impact forward or depending on where we end up use both our picks for a fw and a D ala 2011 draft.
then sign Methot and Sekera or Staal. Basically use the cap space to solidify our left d for years so our prospects can develop.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I voted "Other." Make minor trades/roster adjustments, but it IMO there's still time to save the season, or at least respectability. I don't think it has to be all about tanking or contending. There's some middle ground there. Unfortunately trying to juggle the lineup just emphasizes the big problem: This team can't ice four lines in any way that doesn't leave at least a couple of them defensively suspect. There are no really good two-way players on this roster apart from O'Reilly and Landeskog, and possibly Iginla and Tanguay. Duchene has done an admirable job in this regard, but you want him scoring.

This is the best I could do. Moving Briere back to wing and O'Reilly to center seems like the best move toward a more stable lineup, but there are still big problems.

Tanguay - Duchene - Briere
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rendulic
Talbot - O'Reilly - Iginla
McLeod - Carey/Sgarbossa - Vincour

Boy what I wouldn't give for a straight-up swap of McLeod and Chipchura. Won't happen though.

Hejda - Johnson
Siemens - Barrie
Stollery - Redmond

I know, not ideal, but anything is an improvement on the Birthday General. Another trade target could be Zbynek Michalek, who IMO can still play good hockey, but no idea how or even if the Avs could make it work under the cap, and also no idea what Maloney would demand in return. Likely something surrounding Hejda and Elliott, and that'd be a pretty high price to pay if he ends up walking as season's end.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
One year?

I'd personally pray we lose enough to get us into the top 3. Draft the BPA probably Hanifin.

Offer ROR a 6x6 deal. If he rejects it I'd trade him for Evander Kane or a pick if the right player is available. I like Zacha personally so that's who I'd be looking at.

I'd resign EJ, Nate, and Barrie to long term deals of 6, 7, and 5 respectively.

I'd make calls about getting any of the dead weight off the team. Too many contracts to make moves imo. I'd trade Hejda, Talbot, and Briere for 2nd and 3rd rounders.

I'd sign Vermette at 4.5x5. Yes thats expensive but he's a guy who can play anywhere in the top 9 should injuries happen and I think we need a truly great 3C to win a cup.

I'd start the season from there. So lets see what we have then.

eKane-Dutch-Tangs
Landy-MacK-Iggy
Ping-Vermette-Everberg
Bordy-Malkin-Highlander

Hanifin-EJ
Siemens-Barrie
Stuart-Redmond

Varly
Picks

I'd love to say Cody is gone... But the dood just got extended and is wearing an A. It's Pejorative Slured but he'll be around. I actually love Bordy and think he's a glue guy. No harm in having him play 6 minutes a game. But a better bottom 6 starts by moving Everberg down to Cody Mac's spot and letting the Highlander eat nachos. Then also signing a #3RW or hoping one of Boss, Hishon, or Bleakley are ready.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Pray to God every single night until next season starts that you can find teams willing to take on players like McLeod, Holden, Guenin, and Berra. If we could even move two of those contracts, I'd be extremely happy. Useless dead weight on this team, hope that Roy/Sakic could convince other GM's otherwise though :laugh:

umdieecke*

If you inherited the team for the rest of the year, what would you do?

[MOD]

Like many have said, if you don't make the playoffs, you're better off enhancing draft position. And that included trading ROR and other non core players. No that doesn't include Holden. MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Johnson, and Barrie are what I would consider the core.

Last edited by a moderator:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would sit tight until the deadline letting our kids take their lumps, unless Carolina wanted to trade Sekera for some combination of secondary pieces like Pickard, McGinn, our second and/or non-Siemens/Bigras/Bleackley prospects, and Sekera was at least open to making colorado his next home. Then at the deadline I'd move Briere, and if we're still this far out of the playoff hunt I'd move Hejda to. But if we crawl back into the playoff discussion by then I'd keep him unless someone offered up a first, or two seconds this year.

In the summer we have to go hard after a UFA LHD to play with EJ, while trying one last time to get ROR to sign a long term deal. If he refuses he has to be moved before camp starts. If he has to be moved and we signed Sekera I'd be looking for a young forward+ if he has to be moved and we've struck out in UFA then I'd be looking for a LHD+. Either a younger guy who's just breaking into the league or an older guy who can do a fine job next to EJ, like a better version of hejda.

The plus in either case would be secondary pieces like a 2nd round pick, depending on the caliber of young player we are adding.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Really don't know how else to put this. Our defensive prospect pool is fine. In a few years our blue line will be ok, I wouldn't mind just getting another band aid top pairing guy if we can't draft a Hanifin type.

We aren't scoring at all though. We need a 3C that can make us a threat from every line... Or at least one that can shut down top lines and let our top 6 feast on weaker pairings.

As of right now our bottom 6 is bad on all 200 feet. That's the biggest problem imo.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
You guys keep saying keep the core. You do realize Nick Holden is consider part of that core. You guys wanna keep Holden? Yah? Do you? Really?

Holden is part of our core because our defense in Brutal . Add him to any Good Dcore and he would be at best a number 4 , more likely a bottom Dpair .

But i do have to give Holden some credit , last season he played very well , well enough to be in the Avs core conversation ... but this year , no thanks , i'll pass.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Really don't know how else to put this. Our defensive prospect pool is fine. In a few years our blue line will be ok, I wouldn't mind just getting another band aid top pairing guy if we can't draft a Hanifin type.

We aren't scoring at all though. We need a 3C that can make us a threat from every line... Or at least one that can shut down top lines and let our top 6 feast on weaker pairings.

As of right now our bottom 6 is bad on all 200 feet. That's the biggest problem imo.

Its funny cause I think that was the intention with ROR when they drafted him.
I actually like the idea of putting him back as that role for now
but I think long term he doesnt see himself that way anymore and neither does the rest of the league.

I can start to see why Roy wanted to have 2 scoring lines, 2 checking lines.
That 3rd C spot is a tricky position. You either get guys who are adept at one or the other, but rarely both? Sutter and Eller are prob the ideal 3rd C

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
I would certainly try to move out the garbage and bad contracts for whatever kind of future assets I could acquire. I'd be fine writing off this season in order to improve for next year and beyond.

I'd also trade ROR at the deadline.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Holden is part of our core because our defense in Brutal . Add him to any Good Dcore and he would be at best a number 4 , more likely a bottom Dpair .

But i do have to give Holden some credit , last season he played very well , well enough to be in the Avs core conversation ... but this year , no thanks , i'll pass.

This is the thing--he didn't really play all that well, not defensively. He was still abominably slow and still not very smart in the d-zone. But it didn't matter a ton because practically everything he threw at the net went in and the opposition did little if anything to keep him in check. Both things have changed and he has failed to adjust. Because he's not a very good player, and never was.

Holden is NOT part of the core. Just because he signed a multi-year deal doesn't mean he's considered a "core" piece.

And Holden on a good team should not be a 4 or even 6. He's clearly a 7 at best, and should never, ever dress for away games as a defenseman. He is a big body with decent hands and shot who should be used to add some scoring punch either on the blue line or up front, but in a very heavily sheltered fashion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad