Proposal: What would you be willing to give up for...

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
NYI 1st
BOS 1st
Berggren (I hate it but I'd do it unfortunately)
Johansson

Feels like a semi overpayment(?) but Keller has the goal scoring we need and even though I would love Berggren being the one that makes the passes for Keller to score, we can find another player to do it.

EDIT: If adding a second from this year's draft could take out one of Berg or AlJo from the trade, then I'd like to make that switch.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
On the list of young wingers to trade for, I think Kyle Connor is the only target I can think of that I'd rate higher (that might even have a tiny chance of happening). So while I'd target a trade for a center first, I would have no problem whatsoever in giving up a boatload of assets for a guy who just scored 86 points, is only 24, and is controlled for another 5 years.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
He's a top line winger but probably only a #15-30 ranked winger in the league, so not nearly as much as others probably are willing to.

Look at how little a difference DeBrincat made for Ottawa this year to see that you need to have the rest of your roster ready to make a push before adding guys like this. For a more notable example, look back to when Toronto tried to build a contender around Phil Kessel.

Keller is a fantastic player, but he's not a core piece. He's player you add to a core that's ready to pop off and he transforms them into a bona-fide cup contender. Using the Kessel example again, compare how mediocre it was when Toronto treated him like a core piece, compared to the impact he had when Pittsburgh added him as support to their Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury core.

This team would be ready to add wingers of Keller's quality if Kasper or whichever center (it f***ing better be a center) we draft this year becomes the dude we've been missing, and if we get our goaltending in order (preferably Cossa pans out in another 2 years)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't know. Keller seems like a scorer who is more about his numbers than being a really good player. Always kind of gotten that vibe from him. I think he is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't recall any jam to his game or something that would also help in the playoffs. I know we need a scorer desperately, but I think I would rather see about Connor.

He's a top line winger but probably only a #15-30 ranked winger in the league, so not nearly as much as others probably are willing to.

Look at how little a difference DeBrincat made for Ottawa this year to see that you need to have the rest of your roster ready to make a push before adding guys like this. For a more notable example, look back to when Toronto tried to build a contender around Phil Kessel.

Keller is a fantastic player, but he's not a core piece. He's player you add to a core that's ready to pop off and he transforms them into a bona-fide cup contender. Using the Kessel example again, compare how mediocre it was when Toronto treated him like a core piece, compared to the impact he had when Pittsburgh added him as support to their Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury core.

This team would be ready to add wingers of Keller's quality if Kasper or whichever center (it f***ing better be a center) we draft this year becomes the dude we've been missing, and if we get our goaltending in order (preferably Cossa pans out in another 2 years)

To be fair to Debrincat, DJ Smith loves his plodding (boring) defensive hockey, and with a little more freedom I think his offence comes back.

For Keller?

Detroit’s 1st next year (top 10 protected)
Boston’s 1st next year
Ben Chiarot
Vancouver’s 2nd this year(for sneaking Chiarot in)

The 2nd you added made me not even see Chiarot in your list! :)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't know. Keller seems like a scorer who is more about his numbers than being a really good player. Always kind of gotten that vibe from him. I think he is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't recall any jam to his game or something that would also help in the playoffs. I know we need a scorer desperately, but I think I would rather see about Connor.

To be fair to Debrincat, DJ Smith loves his plodding (boring) defensive hockey, and with a little more freedom I think his offence comes back.

The 2nd you added made me not even see Chiarot in your list! :)

That was the plan all along. :thumbu:

Reactions: Oddbob

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Clayton Keller?
I’d go pretty hard cause Keller is good. But I’d really rather agree with jkuts here and add to what we would pay for Keller the difference to acquire Kyle Connor.

Like if we’re going two firsts and a couple prospects… I’m fine adding a bit more quality to an already meaty package

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I like Keller quite a bit. He brings a lot of skill to the game, as a goal scorer and a playmaker. He is a better fit than debrincat.

I'm not sure why Arizona would trade him.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I’d go pretty hard cause Keller is good. But I’d really rather agree with jkuts here and add to what we would pay for Keller the difference to acquire Kyle Connor.

Like if we’re going two firsts and a couple prospects… I’m fine adding a bit more quality to an already meaty package
Why would Connor cost more than Keller?

Keller has two more years on his contract and is a year and a half younger and has had WAY less help compared to Connor.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm sure all we have to do is offer up some insured LTIR contract and they'll be salivating over that.
Problem is we don't have any.

We don't even have any front-loaded contracts where we've already paid the most expensive years on them.

Sad...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Maybe Ben Chiarot tips over his golf cart this summer and needs knee surgery?
You tease.

dont-threaten-me.jpg

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Why would Connor cost more than Keller?

Keller has two more years on his contract and is a year and a half younger and has had WAY less help compared to Connor.

Because I’m biased towards Kyle Connor. Just call me Ken Holland.

I thought he had a higher profile around league.

Shit if Connor is cheaper😋, that’s even more reason to choose him

Reactions: jkutswings

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Any way to update the title its kind of click baity

players like this unless you can buy low somehow just set us back as a lateral move. I would just stay the course unless we outright win the trade and any winning trade we might propose here will just be hyperbull.

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Any way to update the title its kind of click baity

players like this unless you can buy low somehow just set us back as a lateral move. I would just stay the course unless we outright win the trade and any winning trade we might propose here will just be hyperbull.
Largely agree. Unless a team is shortsighted in a fit of 'must make changes for the sake of making changes" (Toronto? Calgary? Winterpeg?) or is just cheap to the point they'd rather futures than a reasonably paid but still expensive forward (Arizona?) it's a trade you rarely win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad