What would Leafs give up for McDavid?

Delicious Dangles*

Nothing. We would have to give up so much that no deal would be worth it to the Leafs.

The goal of the NHL is not to get perpetually younger.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
With modern day scouting and technolegy, I don't think another Daigle is possible. McDavid is gonna be the next Crosby (maybe worse, but still better than everyone else in the league). I'd trade the whole team for him. You all laugh at me now but will agree in 5 years IMO

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
the problem i would have is if we make the playoff this year and play well at the beginning of the season... you would still make a trade for McDavid?

no you don't. One player doesn't necessarily build you a contender. Ovechkin and Crosby has won how many cups? 1.

Vs. Toews/Kane/Hossa/Bolland/Keith/Seabrook?

You could probably argue that earlier in their careers that you could trade any 2 or 3 of these players for Crosby.

If we have a core of playoff contenders, you don't trade half your team for this 1 kid. Daigle/Stefan anyone?

McDavid is going to be a great player. A legend? not at this moment.

Unless the leafs have another epic collapse, we won't be getting McDavid.

The team with the #1 pick won't trade it away, a team that doesn't have it won't sell half the team to get him.

Feb 24, 2004
I would let them pick whoever they wanted off our roster.

If you dealt Kessel for McDavid (which no team would ever do anyways), you're not just getting a good deal hockey-wise - you're getting 7 million in cap space! How does that deal look when it's Kessel for McDavid and Callahan? Or any other free agent we can lure?

mikebel111*

Let me further explain

He will be good! However.there is no way i mortgage the future on one player
Unless he is proven like a crosby

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If McDavid continues to trend towards becoming a generational type talent, no team will trade him once they know they have the first overall pick locked up.

The only way to get him would be by trading with a team that could bottom out next year. Like lets just say you think the Devils will be horrific next year. You trade them now for their first in 2014 and pray they are garbage next year. Similar to what Boston did with us in the Kessel deal.

But if it's post lottery and we know who holds the first pick, it's hard to imagine they would be willing to trade

calvin0416*

This question is meant to be a light-hearted and open-minded journey. We know that NOBODY will trade McDavid, but if you could get him, what would you be willing to part with?

I agree that a championship team is not built by one player. It takes a core group of players to build a winning team, but having said that, what better player to start with than McDavid?

Jack Eichel looks to be another great player as well (projected to go 2nd overall) so even landing him would be an absolute monster grab. Who knows, you could also get lucky and draft Sean Day in 2016. Now you have McDavid and Day as your cornerstone. Whatever team that gets to rebuild around those players is gonna look great! Calgary or Buffalo could easily have: Reinhart/Ekblad, McDavid/Eichel, and Day in the next 3 drafts. *drools*

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Well I'm going to Pretend Burke won the lottery and is up for a trade and giving McDavids team to the highest bidder.

To Toronto: 1st pick in first round

To Calgary: Phil Kessel half retained salary, Morgan Rielly, and (Nazem Kadri or 2 firsts)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
:edmonton Rielly + Kadri + JVR + Reimer + Percy + 2 x 1st rounders

:leafs MacDavid

I went with the Oilers since history has a habit of repeating itself ;)

Yup... this doesn't remind me one bit of:

:flyers
Eric Lindros

:avs
From the Lindros wikipedia page:
received in the trade the rights to eventual Hart Trophy winner Peter Forsberg, as well as Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash. Since the trade, the Avalanche have won eight division titles and two Stanley Cup championships, due in part to the play of Forsberg, and the later addition of Patrick Roy, whom the Avalanche received in a later package deal that included Thibault

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
It wouldn't make sense for any team in the NHL to trade the pick if they won the lottery.

TheThrill81*

Well I'm going to Pretend Burke won the lottery and is up for a trade and giving McDavids team to the highest bidder.

To Toronto: 1st pick in first round

To Calgary: Phil Kessel half retained salary, Morgan Rielly, and (Nazem Kadri or 2 firsts)

Yeah, no thanks.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I think we are over the stage of trading for players in the draft. We should be targeting players around the age of our core at this stage. Trading for McDavid would only set us back even further for what it would cost.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just curious here, since Burke is GM of the Flames and might hold the 1 or 2 pick that wins the lottery for McDavid, what would Leaf fans be willing to give up for that McDavid pick?

We all know how Burke likes to deal with his former teams.

Maybe Leafs don't want him for the price it would cost to get him or maybe Leafs would do anything to get him. What's your proposal?

Kadri, Gardiner and 1st, 2nd round pick for McDavid?

***NOTE***
I'm aware that Leafs are the hottest team right now in the NHL i think 8-1-1 in the last 10? And as Leaf fans are very fickle, when things are going good, like now, you will say you don't want Crosby or McDavid or Gretzky. But when things go bad, like it was a few weeks ago, you'd want to trade Kessel and Kadri. So try to think of this question without thinking about the fact you guys are doing well right now lol.

Wrong draft year.

McDavid is not this year but the following.

Burke is looking to hire a GM and likely will not be included in that exchange.

This is only possible if Nonis can take advantage of Burke today for high 1st round picks and then hope Flames crash and Leafs use the future pick. Its the Kessel trade in reverse for TO.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Would cost way too much to get him imo. Better to build around the core that we already have.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'm surprised see Kessel isn't in that offer. That being said, if EDM was willing to accept, I would do it.

The salary would be too much for Edm, especially on top of a package...and they have a couple similar style players in Hall and Yak, I think they'd like JVR better.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
:edmonton Rielly + Kadri + JVR + Reimer + Percy + 2 x 1st rounders

:leafs MacDavid

I went with the Oilers since history has a habit of repeating itself ;)

Even if McDavid is a Tavares, or even Crosby clone, Toronto is a better team with all the above players and picks.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
JVR + Rielly + Bernier

Would be a fair price, I think. I'd let them pick any three assets from the Leafs organization and start from there.

TheThrill81*

I'm curious to know how the Leafs would replace a 1st line 30/30+ winger, a potential top-pairing defenceman, and a starting goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad