What would Leafs give up for McDavid?

calvin0416*

Just curious here, since Burke is GM of the Flames and might hold the 1 or 2 pick that wins the lottery for McDavid, what would Leaf fans be willing to give up for that McDavid pick?

We all know how Burke likes to deal with his former teams.

Maybe Leafs don't want him for the price it would cost to get him or maybe Leafs would do anything to get him. What's your proposal?

Kadri, Gardiner and 1st, 2nd round pick for McDavid?

***NOTE***
I'm aware that Leafs are the hottest team right now in the NHL i think 8-1-1 in the last 10? And as Leaf fans are very fickle, when things are going good, like now, you will say you don't want Crosby or McDavid or Gretzky. But when things go bad, like it was a few weeks ago, you'd want to trade Kessel and Kadri. So try to think of this question without thinking about the fact you guys are doing well right now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
Nothing
Unproven player yet to be drafted

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't give up a conditional 7th rou.. are you serious?

Mcdavid will be one of the best players to ever play the game. You can bet on that.

I would not gut the Leafs for one player. And that is what it would most likely take.

What did the pens want in 2005 for the 1st pick?

HYPE MACHINE MCDAVID

But op this is a very premature thread. The Leafs might look very different when that draft comes along. Kadri might be a ppg player and Gardiner might be putting up 50-60 points.

FosterHewitt

He Shoots He Scores!
Jan 18, 2014
Gondola
Kessel to me is a no go. Phanuef too. Now a couple first rounders plus Gardiner and Kadri is fair. Lupul could be tossed in as a good veteran player instead of sending off so much youth, but Calgary needs young skill guys. McDavid is going to be very good and probably great. I'm not ready to call him Crosby II yet

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
Gardiner and Kadri are my favourite two players, so I would be very sad to see them go, but, yeah, something like Gardiner, Kadri and 2 firsts would be fair market value. This would be a bittersweet deal for years, similar to the way the Kessel deal was regarded. Several years removed from the original deal, I don't think that I would trade Kessel for Seguin, Knight and Hamilton.

It would've been nice for the Leafs to have landed one of the big stars coming out of the GTA the past decade - they were never quite bad enough to draft a Stamkos, Taveres, or McDavid, although they would have come close the year they'd traded the Seguin pick.

If I'm the Leafs, I wouldn't make a play for McDavid, but I would have to consider it if an offer was made.

BluPuk*

Any trade like those would have to be contingent upon Calgary (or whoever) actually getting the first pick, wouldn't it? Otherwise it would be DUMB. I sure hope he does go to Calgary.

Otherwise, McDavid will likely end up in some U.S. backwater cowtown and play out his career in anonymity against inferior opposition, while being ripped in the press by people who don't know a hockey skate from a buffalo chip. :shakehead

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Any trade like those would have to be contingent upon Calgary (or whoever) actually getting the first pick, wouldn't it? Otherwise it would be DUMB. I sure hope he does go to Calgary.

Otherwise, McDavid will likely end up in some U.S. backwater cowtown and play out his career in anonymity against inferior opposition, while being ripped in the press by people who don't know a hockey skate from a buffalo chip. :shakehead

Better than getting ripped in the press by people who don't know a hockey skate from a buffalo chip in say Toronto for example. :sarcasm:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I would do that trade in a heartbeat even though I like Kadri and Gardiner.

McDavid isn't just some random 1st overall pick, he is the next big thing and has been talked about as such since he was about 14

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If it's prior to the lottery taking place, what smart GM would gamble giving up too much at a chance of drafting McDavid?

Conversely, if it's after the lottery and 1st overall is decided, why would that GM give up the opportunity to draft what appears to be a generational talent? (on an ELC no less)

Only way the Leafs get McDavid is if they miss the playoffs next year and win the lottery.

There's no trading happening.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Nothing
Unproven player yet to be drafted

I think it'd be a massive mistake to not try and mortgage the future on this kid. From what the experts are saying, he's generational talent - and if the team is interested in being a better team, they have to believe that this kid will make them a better team.

Depending on what the cost is, I'd give it serious consideration.

TheThrill81*

It seems like almost every draft has a player that's touted as a generational talent or thereabouts. It'd be a massive mistake to mortgage the future on something that most of the time the odds are against.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Kessel++

Do anything to get mcdavid in the blue and white

Aside from completely gutting the lineup - I'll leave that up to the experts - I'd concur with the assessment that any discussion has to start with a valuable piece ala kessel.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Aside from completely gutting the lineup - I'll leave that up to the experts - I'd concur with the assessment that any discussion has to start with a valuable piece ala kessel.

An 8 million dollar a year player may not be that appealing to many basement dwellars like Calgary and Edm. I think the package would have to be built around Rielly, Kadri, JVR, maybe Bernier or Reimer, plus some 1st rounders...think back to what Philly gave up for Lindros.

That said, I doubt the team that drafts him is even open to hearing offers.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
:edmonton Rielly + Kadri + JVR + Reimer + Percy + 2 x 1st rounders

:leafs MacDavid

I went with the Oilers since history has a habit of repeating itself ;)

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
It seems like almost every draft has a player that's touted as a generational talent or thereabouts. It'd be a massive mistake to mortgage the future on something that most of the time the odds are against.

I partially agree - I agree that to be a better team you can't always look at mortgaging your teams future.

However, I think you can't ignore the need to be a better team and sometimes that requires sacrifice / risk.

Here's my take on the Leafs future : we're not tanking or instantly folding to draft top 3; so if the interest in McDavid is there, you've got to weigh that interest against what you're willing to pay.

I personally believe the weight of McDavid outweighs the price (reasonably speaking).

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
:edmonton Rielly + Kadri + JVR + Reimer + Percy + 2 x 1st rounders

:leafs MacDavid

I went with the Oilers since history has a habit of repeating itself ;)

I'm surprised see Kessel isn't in that offer. That being said, if EDM was willing to accept, I would do it.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

If you think McDavid is a bet against the odds, then you haven't seen the kid play.

He's a special talent.

As much as I love Kadri and Gardiner, McDavid is going to have a massive career in the NHL, so I would give them up in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad