Speculation: What would leafs do with a 60 million salary cap?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Burke would be burying the likes of Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek before he'd be trading Dion, Phil or Lupul.

He'd probably be trying to prey on other teams who cant afford to bury contracts and may have to move a good player.

The current NHL proposal has adjustments by Bettman that have addressed rich teams burying players in the minors by having their salaries continue to count against the teams cap in the new CBA.

And you can't "bury" Komisarek (NMC, as mentioned again, and again, and again...).

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Lupul would negotiate a lower deal to stay in Toronto. He's never going to get ice-time on the top line (or with a player of Kessel's calibre) on another team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lupul would negotiate a lower deal to stay in Toronto. He's never going to get ice-time on the top line (or with a player of Kessel's calibre) on another team.

I would argue that money and term > first line minutes. Especially at the later stages of a player's career.

12345*

I would argue that money and term > first line minutes. Especially at the later stages of a player's career.

Unless the contract is a career contract, he still needs to establish himself as a 1st liner so that teams acquiring him/signing him recognize him as such and pay the premium. Best way to establish himself as a top liner is in his current situation, playing with a top5 player in the league.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
You have to know what the rollback will amount to, to know where they stand. According to capgeek.com they are at 63M in cap dollars. But with a rollback that drops by a certain percentage. The 300M make whole money would not count against the cap, if I understand that correctly.

Then you have to see if there will be an amnesty buy out like the last CBA.

Amnesty buyout won't happen, but I don't know why people are ignoring the rollback which is surely to happen. Unless it is to illustrate the fact that Burke's careful cap management in preparation for this lockout doesn't actually have the Leafs in a desirable cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad