Speculation: What would leafs do with a 60 million salary cap?

Morlesio14*

What do u think our roster will look like under a new salary cap?
Would we have to trade some of our high income players?
Who could we get back?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Who could we get back?

With the rollback I think they'd do nothing if the season started right away. They'd probably have the same line-up, they are at about $63 million.

Now if there are dramatic changes, as in decertification, and voided contracts ... well then there'd be no salary cap.

If there is no season, then you can probably bump off Lupul, MacArthur, Connolly, Bozak , Steckel and Lombardi from up front. That's about $19 million.

Promoting a couple Marlies and going to market would be in order.

Until there is an agreement with the union or there is no union it is complete mystery of what the next version of the Toronto Maple Leafs will look like.

Leafs For Life*

Well, the only people that I see management really wanting to keep are Lupul and Bozak. I'd say Lupul signs for about 5M, while Bozak around 2. That put's us well enough under the cap.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
You have to know what the rollback will amount to, to know where they stand. According to capgeek.com they are at 63M in cap dollars. But with a rollback that drops by a certain percentage. The 300M make whole money would not count against the cap, if I understand that correctly.

Then you have to see if there will be an amnesty buy out like the last CBA.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leaf Nation used to rejoice in the knowledge that certain players contracts were expiring and that would return free cap space for team improvements.

However the new CBA forcing a 50/50 HRR split and a 12% player reduction would move a current cap ceiling of $70 mil dropping it to $58-60 mil for next season..

This means that soon to be UFA players like Connolly, Lombardi and MacArthur and their according presently occupied cap space will simple be absorbed and not replaced upon departure to comply with the new lower cap, replaced by Marlies on cheaper contracts.

That leaves a Leafs line-up looking something like.

Lupul (re-signed) --- Bozak (re-signed) --- Kessel
JVR ------------------ Grabovski ----------- Kulemin
Kadri ---------------- Colborne ------------ Frattin
Komarov ------------ McClement ---------- Brown

Phaneuf ------ Gardiner
Gunnarsson -- Rielly
Komisarek --- Liles
Franson ------ Holzer

Reimer
???

and if that ??? becomes Roberto Luongo then Kardi, Frattin and others might be heading out in trade.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
any drop in salary cap would include amnesty buyouts, which means bye-bye to Komisarek ($4.5) and Lombardi ($3.5) at the least.

J.Lupul (4.25) --- T.Connolly (4.75) --- P.Kessel (5.40)
J.VanR (4.25) --- M.Grabovski (5.50) -- C.MacArthur (3.25)
M.Frattin (0.93) --- T.Bozak (1.50) ---- N.Kulemin (2.80)
M.Brown (0.74) -- J.McClement (1.50) - L.Komarov (1.20)
(D.Steckel (1.10) --- N.Kadri (1.72))

J.Gardiner (1.12) --- D.Phaneuf (6.50)
J.Liles (3.88) ------- C.Gunnarsson (1.33)
M.Rielly (1.78) ------ P.Ranger (1.00)
(C.Franson (2.00))

J.Reimer (1.80)
B.Scrivens (0.62)

D.Tucker (1.00)
C.Armstrong (1.00)

That roster's a hair under $60m.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
any drop in salary cap would include amnesty buyouts, which means bye-bye to Komisarek ($4.5) and Lombardi ($3.5) at the least.

(C.Franson (2.00))

J.Reimer (1.80)
B.Scrivens (0.62)

D.Tucker (1.00)
C.Armstrong (1.00)

So to summarize basically its the current team we have right now, minus Komisarek, Lombardi and Rosehill replaced by Paul Ranger, Nazem Kadri & Leo Komarov on the current roster with recent draft pick Morgan Rielly added as well to replace the departed/traded Luke Schenn roster spot from last season.

Are those changes expected to make this team a competitive one and playoff contender?

I still don't believe that Reimer/Scrivens is going to be the answer, and that Luongo is going to be a Leaf shortly after that experiment is tested. Adding $5.5 mil to the Cap however will require further cuts to the current team in trade or removal for cap compliance reasons.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Would be a very nice upgrade over last ear's team with riell and ranger over schenn and komi, jvr and mcclement and komarov over crabb lombardi armstrong, plus a healthy reimer....but if you wanted to swing a trade for luongo it wouldn't be too difficult.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Burke would be burying the likes of Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek before he'd be trading Dion, Phil or Lupul.

He'd probably be trying to prey on other teams who cant afford to bury contracts and may have to move a good player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Burke would be burying the likes of Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek before he'd be trading Dion, Phil or Lupul.

He'd probably be trying to prey on other teams who cant afford to bury contracts and may have to move a good player.

The current NHL proposal has adjustments by Bettman that have addressed rich teams burying players in the minors by having their salaries continue to count against the teams cap in the new CBA.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Who could we get back?

We don't particularly have high income players. We have some filler guys paid more than their worth but not a whole lot of high salaried players.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
All I know is we would be in much better shape than other teams. For the 2013-2014 season, here are some teams, their cap payroll and the number of players contributing to that cap payroll:
Boston - 57.35m from 16 players
Minny - 51.13m from 16 players
Vancouver - 55.4m from 13 players
Calgary - 47.87m from 14 players
Philly - 57.47m from 16 players
San Jose - 54.34m from 14 players
Chicago - 57.21m from 17 players
Buffalo - 49.64m from 14 players
Montreal - 60.16m from 16 players
Washington - 44.8m from 12 players
Toronto - 41.52m from 13 players

These are the 11 teams with the highest cap payrolls going into the 2012-2013 season according to capgeek. Of those 11 teams Toronto is in the best cap position with Montreal being in the worst position (above 60m already with only 16 players under contract for the 2013-2014 season). Toronto I believe would be fine and not have to trade away any star players. Many of these other teams have to worry about it though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
All I know is we would be in much better shape than other teams. For the 2013-2014 season, here are some teams, their cap payroll and the number of players contributing to that cap payroll:
Boston - 57.35m from 16 players
Minny - 51.13m from 16 players
Vancouver - 55.4m from 13 players
Calgary - 47.87m from 14 players
Philly - 57.47m from 16 players
San Jose - 54.34m from 14 players
Chicago - 57.21m from 17 players
Buffalo - 49.64m from 14 players
Montreal - 60.16m from 16 players
Washington - 44.8m from 12 players
Toronto - 41.52m from 13 players

These are the 11 teams with the highest cap payrolls going into the 2012-2013 season according to capgeek. Of those 11 teams Toronto is in the best cap position with Montreal being in the worst position (above 60m already with only 16 players under contract for the 2013-2014 season). Toronto I believe would be fine and not have to trade away any star players. Many of these other teams have to worry about it though.

With a 50-50 split of HRR (hockey-related revenues) throughout the deal. The Salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million and the floor would be $43.9 million.

Toronto's situation $41.52 mil from 13 players with 23 players a max roster size = 10 players and $18.4 mil free cap space. (average 1.84 mil per player)..

Lupul signed (@~$5 mil)
Bozak signed (~$2 mil)
Gunnarsson signed (~$2 mil)
Franson signed (~$1 mil)

= $10 mil for re-signing current players of $18.4 available = $8.4 mil balance for 6 roster spots.
&
$8.4 mil/ 6 roster spots = $1.4 mil average.

Nazem Kadri ($1.7 mil)
Leo Komarov ($1.2 mil)
Korbinan Holzer ($575 mil)

= ~$5 mil for final 3 roster players mostly reserves.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Who could we get back?

If the cap drops substantially; the Leafs will not be able to trade high income players. Who the heck would want/afford them?

The cap doesn't just drop for the Leafs...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

(C.Franson (2.00))

J.Reimer (1.80)
B.Scrivens (0.62)

D.Tucker (1.00)
C.Armstrong (1.00)

If there's a drop to a $60 million cap, we have no problems.

Lombardi, MacArthur, Connolly, Lupul, Steckel, Bozak coming off the books represents $18.35 million in cap savings, and out of that bunch, I'd expect Lupul, Bozak and McCarthur back, and probably not with raises.

Newfie John

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2005
If there's a drop to a $60 million cap, we have no problems.

Lombardi, MacArthur, Connolly, Lupul, Steckel, Bozak coming off the books represents $18.35 million in cap savings, and out of that bunch, I'd expect Lupul, Bozak and McCarthur back, and probably not with raises.

You have to think Lupul gets a raise, though probably on a shorter term deal. He was a PPG player last year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You have to think Lupul gets a raise, though probably on a shorter term deal. He was a PPG player last year.

I wouldn't give him a raise, citing his possible fluke season plus the changing NHL climate. If he doesn't go for it, there's a lot of free agents getting squeezed off their rosters a la 2005-06.

Newfie John

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2005
I wouldn't give him a raise, citing his possible fluke season plus the changing NHL climate. If he doesn't go for it, there's a lot of free agents getting squeezed off their rosters a la 2005-06.

I'm not talking a major raise. There's no way he gets more than Kessel money.. but somewhere aroung 5 mil on a 2 year contract makes sense IMO.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
With a 60 million salary cap, the Leafs would: fail to make the playoffs, fail to win the Stanley Cup, and fail to ice a #1 center, #1 d-man, and #1 goaltender.

So yeah, go Donald Fehr!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not talking a major raise. There's no way he gets more than Kessel money.. but somewhere aroung 5 mil on a 2 year contract makes sense IMO.

No, he's not getting that. I'd give him the same money he's making now at the very upper limit. $4,250,000. And that's generous.

In a changing economic climate where you actually have big time UFAs hitting the market, I'd be looking at those guys instead of paying more money for the same old same old.

Newfie John

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2005
No, he's not getting that. I'd give him the same money he's making now at the very upper limit. $4,250,000. And that's generous.

In a changing economic climate where you actually have big time UFAs hitting the market, I'd be looking at those guys instead of paying more money for the same old same old.

Fair enough.

I may end up agreeing with you on this, it ultimately depends on what the new CBA looks like.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
With a 50-50 split of HRR (hockey-related revenues) throughout the deal. The Salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million and the floor would be $43.9 million.

Toronto's situation $41.52 mil from 13 players with 23 players a max roster size = 10 players and $18.4 mil free cap space. (average 1.84 mil per player)..

Lupul signed (@~$5 mil)
Bozak signed (~$2 mil)
Franson signed (~$1 mil)

= $10 mil for re-signing current players of $18.4 available = $8.4 mil balance for 6 roster spots.
&

Nazem Kadri ($1.7 mil)
Leo Komarov ($1.2 mil)
Korbinan Holzer ($575 mil)

Going off of your numbers (which I would change slightly but not a big deal so won't get into that and also assuming you meant 0.575m for Holzer :sarcasm:) our lineup would look something like for 2013-2014:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kadri
Frattin - McClemant - Kulemin
Komarov - ?????? - Brown
Extras: ?????, ?????

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - Komi
Extras: Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Looking at it, goalie could use an upgrade for sure, defense could maybe use some more defensive guys and forward seems to be mostly lacking a better first line center. The spot where we can save the most money for that is somehow managing to get rid of Liles and Komi. Replacing those 2 with Rielly + Holzer (and assuming a new 7th defenseman at the same cost as Holzer) saves a tad over 6m in cap space. Could use maybe 3.5m of that to upgrade on Reimer to Luongo and the last 2.5m to upgrade on Bozak and I like the team's chances better. But how all the young players (Kadri, Frattin, Komarov, Rielly, Holzer) perform would be the make or break for the teams performance. All in all the CBA could change too much to accurately predict a teams future performance :laugh:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So to summarize basically its the current team we have right now, minus Komisarek, Lombardi and Rosehill replaced by Paul Ranger, Nazem Kadri & Leo Komarov on the current roster with recent draft pick Morgan Rielly added as well to replace the departed/traded Luke Schenn roster spot from last season.

Are those changes expected to make this team a competitive one and playoff contender?

I still don't believe that Reimer/Scrivens is going to be the answer, and that Luongo is going to be a Leaf shortly after that experiment is tested. Adding $5.5 mil to the Cap however will require further cuts to the current team in trade or removal for cap compliance reasons.

If the Leafs were forced to go with that roster then I would guess it would have to be considered a development year. Bozak gets a 1 year deal, maybe Steckel is kept as an extra forward, the following year spend Komi's cap space.

You hope one of your two goalies proves a starter and if not look at getting one, and the same at center? Can Kadri or Bozak be the long term solution ?

I have to think there would have to be a buy-out if you are imposing a 10 mil drop within a year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the Leafs were forced to go with that roster then I would guess it would have to be considered a development year. Bozak gets a 1 year deal, maybe Steckel is kept as an extra forward, the following year spend Komi's cap space.

You hope one of your two goalies proves a starter and if not look at getting one, and the same at center? Can Kadri or Bozak be the long term solution ?

I have to think there would have to be a buy-out if you are imposing a 10 mil drop within a year.

According to Bettman if we have a partial season than they play by the $70 mil cap ceiling that exists now, but as of next year all teams would have to comply with the new lower $59.9 mil.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Lupul signed (@~$5 mil)
Bozak signed (~$2 mil)
Franson signed (~$1 mil)

&

Nazem Kadri ($1.7 mil)
Leo Komarov ($1.2 mil)
Korbinian Holzer ($575 mil)

Holzer is the greatest defenseman in the history of the world! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad