What would it take to have a sit down with Wang for an interview ?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's Wang's team-not ours. He can do whatever it is he likes with it. I know it sucks-but it's the way it is (and the the way it should be). No sense in giving him interviews. He'll just answer with perfect PR questions anyway, and why would he even agree to one?

The only way I'll defend Wang is this: why should he be expected to invest tons of money into the team, when the fans don't Check out our attendance numbers. They've been pathetic for most of the past 2 decades (including before Wang). Every owner should run their franchise as a business. And the Islanders don't have the fanbase that most other teams do. We have a very dedicated core (and a relatively small one at that)...but honestly we lack the casual fans that most other franchises have. Brooklyn could (or could not) change that.

Don't get me wrong I think Wang's a crappy owner-and I'd love him to sell the team. But it's his team, so we need to deal with it.

Here we go again. :facepalm:

Why should the fans invest their money in a sub-standard product? The team has been lousy since the late 1980's. The fans spoke with their wallets.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014

Why should the fans invest their money in a sub-standard product? The team has been lousy since the late 1980's. The fans spoke with their wallets.

According to attendance records they haven't been...for years.

MaryChristine*

Are you angry at people who refused to buy Yugos?

On him owning the team and us having to deal with it.....does a consumer have a right to petition and boycott a product that is not good? Yes....and they can pressure Wang to sell to get their product back. It's all they can do. Wang doesn't have to sell, but the importance of him knowing he won't make money so long as he owns the team is what will change the team....it's all a fan can do and it's powerful.....

until you realize how many will still apologize for him and spend money on Wang and keep going so nothing will ever change. Ever.

If everyone stopped going, things would change. That's how business works.

That's how bad business works. Unfortunately, you are right when it comes to Wang. That's what it would take to make even a slight change.
Good business recognizes when the quality of product is negatively effecting return and makes changes ASAP... ever adapting.
This whole organization is incredibly resistant and slow to change from management to our power play... I don't know if it's stupidity or pride that keeps them from adapting.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Are you angry at people who refused to buy Yugos?

On him owning the team and us having to deal with it.....does a consumer have a right to petition and boycott a product that is not good? Yes....and they can pressure Wang to sell to get their product back. It's all they can do. Wang doesn't have to sell, but the importance of him knowing he won't make money so long as he owns the team is what will change the team....it's all a fan can do and it's powerful.....

until you realize how many will still apologize for him and spend money on Wang and keep going so nothing will ever change. Ever.

If everyone stopped going, things would change. That's how business works.

-Yes you can boycott the company--but don't expect the owner and/or CEO to grant an interview with you if you do.

-They can "pressure" all they want-but honestly it's just noise.

-You're not going to get everybody to stop going to Islander games in order for Wang to sell the team. We've all ready been last (or bottom 2-3) in attendance for years and years and years now. Message not received.

You're right fans have spoken with their wallets: and in return Wang has spoken with his. What's your point? It's funny because as fans we don't like people telling us how to use our wallets-but we have no problem telling others (Wang) in this case how to use his. Don't get me wrong I can't stand Wang. But some people on here just don't get it. Wang's a businessman first and foremost (just like EVERY NHL franchise).

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007

So the Owner won't invest because the fans won't show up and the fans don't show up because the owner isn't investing.....

....and who's on first base?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=airT-m9LcoY&feature=kp

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
So the Owner won't invest because the fans won't show up and the fans don't show up because the owner isn't investing.....

pretty sure the attendance was fine until they got deplorably bad in the mid 90s. After sinking that low both on the ice and in the owners box it really is on the franchise to show they are back committed to winning. How many times since 1995 have we had a team in playoff position all year in back to back years? I'm guessing maybe the first 2 yashin/peca years. My guess is attendance probably spiked.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
pretty sure the attendance was fine until they got deplorably bad in the mid 90s. After sinking that low both on the ice and in the owners box it really is on the franchise to show they are back committed to winning. How many times since 1995 have we had a team in playoff position all year in back to back years? I'm guessing maybe the first 2 yashin/peca years. My guess is attendance probably spiked.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7085

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

The Mets are doing that right now. GM Sandy Alderson stated that the Mets would be more inclined to spend money if the fans would come out and buy tickets for the team.

And here I am thinking it should be the other way around. Ownership invests money in the product and the consumer buys it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
-Yes you can boycott the company--but don't expect the owner and/or CEO to grant an interview with you if you do.

-They can "pressure" all they want-but honestly it's just noise.

-You're not going to get everybody to stop going to Islander games in order for Wang to sell the team. We've all ready been last (or bottom 2-3) in attendance for years and years and years now. Message not received.

You're right fans have spoken with their wallets: and in return Wang has spoken with his. What's your point? It's funny because as fans we don't like people telling us how to use our wallets-but we have no problem telling others (Wang) in this case how to use his. Don't get me wrong I can't stand Wang. But some people on here just don't get it. Wang's a businessman first and foremost (just like EVERY NHL franchise).

My point is if Wang (or any of the last four owners of the Islanders) don't show a commitment to winning don't expect the fans to continue to buy tickets.

Around here its always been about managing the budget first, the on-ice product second.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
My point is if Wang (or any of the last four owners of the Islanders) don't show a commitment to winning don't expect the fans to continue to buy tickets.

Around here its always been about managing the budget first, the on-ice product second.

Why has Wang given up ridiculous contracts then? Surely he wasn't managing budget first when he signed that Yashin deal-or the DP deal. Either he's cheap-or he signs really expensive long-term contracts. You can't have it both ways.

PS: Isles fans don't buy tickets when they're winning either. For example:

2002 was our best year out of the past 20. We can all obviously agree on that. We were 27th in the league with an average attendance of 14,548.

That's kind of pathetic actually.

Let's face it: we have a poor fanbase. We have a great diehard core....but the overall fanbase is pretty bad. We're a team in the sub-urbs, in the back yard of 2 other NHL teams...one of which draws many fans away from our franchise.

I'm not making excuses for Wang--just saying it's not as rosy as some like to make it out to be.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why has Wang given up ridiculous contracts then? Surely he wasn't managing budget first when he signed that Yashin deal-or the DP deal. Either he's cheap-or he signs really expensive long-term contracts. You can't have it both ways.

PS: Isles fans don't buy tickets when they're winning either. For example:

2002 was our best year out of the past 20. We can all obviously agree on that. We were 27th in the league with an average attendance of 14,548.

That's kind of pathetic actually.

Let's face it: we have a poor fanbase. We have a great diehard core....but the overall fanbase is pretty bad. We're a team in the sub-urbs, in the back yard of 2 other NHL teams...one of which draws many fans away from our franchise.

I'm not making excuses for Wang--just saying it's not as rosy as some like to make it out to be.

Wang gives out ill-advised contracts because over the length of the contract he is getting the player locked-in, without him having a break-out year and being able to go for more money, like say, after a 3 year contract. That was the idea with DiPietro. Wang has that contract at a lower average [rice over the length of the contract. Unfortunately you risk getting stuck with an underperforming or injury-prone player.

It doesn't make Wang cheap. It makes him a fool. Twice.

Your point about ticket sales is weak. Teams without a large STH base usually see a rise in attendance the year AFTER a successful season. That happened in the 2002-03 season. Average attendance rose to 14,930. It also happened after the 1993 and 1994 seasons. Both were playoff years.

That's over 90% capacity at the Coliseum. Capacity was 16,297. By that time the league had newer arenas with capacities of over 18,000. So that the Isles ranked 27th in average attendance is relative to the capacity of the Coliseum versus the other arenas.

My stance has always been that the Islanders have a fanbase that has been beaten into apathy over years of incompetent ownership. I say that had they strung together just 2 seasons where they made the playoffs, and winning a playoff round in one of those years, they would have reaped the benefits at the box office.

Is winning one playoff round since 1993 really that much to ask?

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Teams make true money for corporate suites, naming rights, corporate events, outside events. This team is locked into the worst arena in sports bar none. Product follows that approach as well, they have had the worst ownership in the last 20 years. Until that changes, this team stays where it is, only if internal player development pull this team out of the gutter.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Teams make true money for corporate suites, naming rights, corporate events, outside events. This team is locked into the worst arena in sports bar none. Product follows that approach as well, they have had the worst ownership in the last 20 years. Until that changes, this team stays where it is, only if internal player development pull this team out of the gutter.

You're right. The Islanders need thoses types of revenue streams to be successful. I've always believed that if you took a building like the Barclays Center, with all its suites and clubs and put it in the Coliseum parking lot, the Islanders would be successful. Yes, in the suburbs .

I don't think anybody would ever suggest the Isles should remain in the Coliseum as it is.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
No offense here, but it's funny that hockey fans think they could actually get Wang to say things which he doesn't want to air in public.

For ***** and giggles -- lets say you could get a sit down interview with Wang, along with 5 of your best hockey/HFboard buddies. You collate all your questions and put them in proper order and worded properly.

The guy is a professional businessman who has billions of dollars at stake, and run CA along with other companies. He has been through the whole CA/Kumar debacle and got out of it ( I think). He fought publicly with Nassau county and Kate Murray. Been interviewed tons of times by Isles mgmt and radio programs about every possible aspect of the team.

And the 25 year old dedicated hockey fan want to "put the irons to him" and ask him some tough questions about the team?

LOL..Sorry... its just funny to me. I feel your frustration, but he would would field your questions and accusations with ease, like a 30 year old playing baseball with 4th graders...

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
No offense here, but it's funny that hockey fans think they could actually get Wang to say things which he doesn't want to air in public.

For ***** and giggles -- lets say you could get a sit down interview with Wang, along with 5 of your best hockey/HFboard buddies. You collate all your questions and put them in proper order and worded properly.

The guy is a professional businessman who has billions of dollars at stake, and run CA along with other companies. He has been through the whole CA/Kumar debacle and got out of it ( I think). He fought publicly with Nassau county and Kate Murray. Been interviewed tons of times by Isles mgmt and radio programs about every possible aspect of the team.

And the 25 year old dedicated hockey fan want to "put the irons to him" and ask him some tough questions about the team?

LOL..Sorry... its just funny to me. I feel your frustration, but he would would field your questions and accusations with ease, like a 30 year old playing baseball with 4th graders...

This sadly is true. There is nothing a fan can do but not support the team. Everything that is wrong with this team for the last 20 years is and will always be related to the owner(s).

No need to point further fingers, if the man with the money cares little about the product but more about his financial well being.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014

I love the idea of this whole thing happening. A bunch of disgruntled HF boards fans sitting Charles Wang down to ask him pointed/loaded questions in the hopes of getting his Jimmirs rustled and instead end up looking like fools.

I mean the dude played hardball with Kate Murrary for years and ended up getting the last laugh, you really think he wouldn't be able to handle you boys?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The more I read the link below, the more I feel the need to contrast it with the ownership model here.

This is what a real owner talks like: http://www.stlmag.com/St-Louis-Magazine/December-2013/Q-A-A-Conversation-With-Tom-Stillman/

The difference is in approach. With Wang, we have an organization that denies the press interviews and a little transparency, runs a bare-bones front office, low payroll, etc. Nothing is going to work here until ownership has some drive to it. We are not going anywhere with Charles Wang, as his level of caring stops well short of the proper philosophy. It's one thing getting rich from software and evading arrest for white collar crime, and another to have the passion to turn this franchise around entirely. Someone someday will want a hockey team, and he can hang a higher price tag on the name "Brooklyn."

Last edited:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
The more I read the link below, the more I feel the need to contrast it with the ownership model here.

This is what a real owner talks like: http://www.stlmag.com/St-Louis-Magazine/December-2013/Q-A-A-Conversation-With-Tom-Stillman/

The difference is in approach. With Wang, we have an organization that denies the press interviews and a little transparency, runs a bare-bones front office, low payroll, etc. Nothing is going to work here until ownership has some drive to it. We are not going anywhere with Charles Wang, as his level of caring stops well short of the proper philosophy. It's one thing getting rich from software and evading arrest for white collar crime, and another to have the passion to turn this franchise around entirely. Someone someday will want a hockey team, and he can hang a higher price tag on the name "Brooklyn."

Which begs the question, "why do you want to interview him?"

He's not gonna give you answers. Just platitudes. Since his white collar crime, he's not spent money. He's likely only spending now to arrange a sale, and even then, we're a cap maintenance endeavor. Now we sell off, like the Blake exit year, rebuild/retool AGAIN, lose our draft pick and leave Nassau forever, go into Brooklyn, spend a ton to show how he cared all along and hopefully not lose so much year one in horseshoeland. What kind of explanations do we get then?

Seeing St.Louis and Tampa and other teams owners spend and invest and please fans is nice though....it gives me hope that if this soulless hack can sell soon, we might get treated better as loyal fans than a hack Chowderhead coach and Chipotle scarfing goalie GM selling rookies as phenoms and solutions and will maybe see a much needed piece brought in when needed here and there so fans can experience competence and, dare I say, victory.

Until he sells, everybody "sit down and shut up" and enjoy the ride.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
Which begs the question, "why do you want to interview him?"

He's not gonna give you answers. Just platitudes. Since his white collar crime, he's not spent money. He's likely only spending now to arrange a sale, and even then, we're a cap maintenance endeavor. Now we sell off, like the Blake exit year, rebuild/retool AGAIN, lose our draft pick and leave Nassau forever, go into Brooklyn, spend a ton to show how he cared all along and hopefully not lose so much year one in horseshoeland. What kind of explanations do we get then?

Seeing St.Louis and Tampa and other teams owners spend and invest and please fans is nice though....it gives me hope that if this soulless hack can sell soon, we might get treated better as loyal fans than a hack Chowderhead coach and Chipotle scarfing goalie GM selling rookies as phenoms and solutions and will maybe see a much needed piece brought in when needed here and there so fans can experience competence and, dare I say, victory.

Until he sells, everybody "sit down and shut up" and enjoy the ride.

Don't forget buffalo! A few years ago they signed every FA available, like most posters on this board seem to be begging for, and are now reaping the benefits.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The Mets are doing that right now. GM Sandy Alderson stated that the Mets would be more inclined to spend money if the fans would come out and buy tickets for the team.

And here I am thinking it should be the other way around. Ownership invests money in the product and the consumer buys it.

We have a bingo !

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Don't forget buffalo! A few years ago they signed every FA available, like most posters on this board seem to be begging for, and are now reaping the benefits.

bad example. Hell, Milbury was Patton compared to those guys as far as planning. They wanted to make a splash....unfortunately, it was followed by paper then flush.

Need
Examine
Determine
Sign or Miss

Repeat.

Or do what Snow does and rent a wreck.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
bad example. Hell, Milbury was Patton compared to those guys as far as planning. They wanted to make a splash....unfortunately, it was followed by paper then flush.

Need
Examine
Determine
Sign or Miss

Repeat.

Or do what Snow does and rent a wreck.

It's not a bad example, it's a realistic result of following advice from hf boards members.

That whole NEDS system also sounds exactly like what snow has been doing these past years. Trying to land quality FA's and when he can't for whatever reason simply cutting his losses. Instead of putting the team in real danger like buffalo he he opts to sign "wrecks" to short term deals so they don't get the **** end of the stick overpaying an average FA.

I know everyone on this board thinks he's an incompetent goomba but that sounds like the right thing do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad