What would it take to have a sit down with Wang for an interview ?

scott99

May 13, 2005
This is a very serious question. I'm not a sports writer or in the media in any way shape or form, but I'd love to see an interview with Charles Wang where he would face some VERY tough questions. I personally would have no problem conducting the interview (I have a ton of tough questions I'd love to ask him), I'm a very passionate fan who basically fears nobody and I'm not star struck by anyone. Every time I see Wang interviewed, it's some wussy interview where the interviewer is paid by the Islanders, so they don't ask the tough questions. I know it sounds insane, but I'm very serious about this. Maybe us fans can form an Islanders Fans Coalition or something and be able to set up a formal interview. I know Isle's fans did something similar 20 years ago. Wang really needs to face a very tough interview, and us Islander fans deserve answers.

MaryChristine*

Heres a sick thought...
I take one for the team... Mata Hari style.
The Coalition raises 1,000,000 in return for some answers.
:cry: at the thought of having to seduce Wang.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Scott, I understand how frustrated you are, we all are. The only thing I can say is each one of us should deal with it in their own way. After the Neil Smith fiasco I have not gone to the Coliseum and will not with Wang as owner.

When Wang or Snow do an interview with Howie Rose I don't believe anything they say.

The only hope is some day Wang fades away.

Last edited:

mikeda1940

Jul 24, 2010
Cleveland, OH
If you have Sirius radio, he actually went on Bettman's show on the NHL channel a few years ago and took real questions from angry fans. You could tell why he was so successful as a businessman because he had reasonable and rational answers for everything (it was before Brooklyn was settled). MUCH better than Snow was in handling controversy. Just on his answers, he sounded like the kind of owner any team would want and I was quite impressed for the moment. Until you see the on ice product and realize on a meta level that you are being duped.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Put yourself in Wangs shoes. A guy who is a businessman, not a passionate fan. In his world, the team represents a "foot in the door" to further his other business ventures. In this case..."Web Design" for NHL websites, Marketing designs and content..content meaning video content. It also connects him to other professional leagues like the NBA, NFL and so on so he can expand. When players move to the European leagues, he will probably try to grow to those markets as well.

This is what i would do if I were in his shoes. Why keep the team? To offset the gains (from Neulion etc) with the losses (Islanders) in order to save on tax payments.

He doesn't really care what he ices. He cares about the bottom line and the expansion of his empire.

If I had the money..I would buy the team..I WOULD OVERPAY to get the Isles from him. My 10 year plan starts off with 7 grand in a brokerage account and my goal is 2 billion (so I can cover Tax payments! and have enough to buy the team with money left over). Who's with me!

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
why should he have to answer any questions from fans? he is the sole owner, he can do what he likes. the fact that he has an awful product on the ice for just about a decade at this point and people still go shows he doesnt have to answer for anything.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
why should he have to answer any questions from fans? he is the sole owner, he can do what he likes. the fact that he has an awful product on the ice for just about a decade at this point and people still go shows he doesnt have to answer for anything.

^ This x100000000000000000000

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If I had the money..I would buy the team..I WOULD OVERPAY to get the Isles from him. My 10 year plan starts off with 7 grand in a brokerage account and my goal is 2 billion (so I can cover Tax payments! and have enough to buy the team with money left over). Who's with me!

Sorry, Mr. Spano, we're not falling for that again.

scott99

May 13, 2005
If you have Sirius radio, he actually went on Bettman's show on the NHL channel a few years ago and took real questions from angry fans. You could tell why he was so successful as a businessman because he had reasonable and rational answers for everything (it was before Brooklyn was settled). MUCH better than Snow was in handling controversy. Just on his answers, he sounded like the kind of owner any team would want and I was quite impressed for the moment. Until you see the on ice product and realize on a meta level that you are being duped.

I'm sure he wasn't asked questions about why he won't put any money back into the on ice product, and why he took a backup goalie off of the ice and put him right into THE most important position of a franchise, or if he's ever had any outside auditors come in to read the books to support his claim of losing 10million a year running this team. And if he's losing 10 million a year, why would a brilliant businessman like himself keep a business that has lost him 150 million over the 15 years he's owned the team. I'm sure he hasn't been asked why his team has only been to the playoffs 3 times in the 15 years of ownership, and has not won a series since 1993, yet since then, local teams have been to the playoffs dozens of times and have won 4 Cups. That's just the tip of the iceberg as far as what I'd ask him. I'm sure he's NEVER been asked those questions.

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
I remember that interview. IT was all about the arena and possibility of moving the team.
I don't even remember him speaking about the state of the team or the on ice product.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Hand written letters are old school and are something of the past. If every fan, who cares about the performance and state of the team, we should all write one. Each letter can say the exact same thing or all of them could be different, doesn't matter. If the owner sees the fans taking the time to write a letter even though we already take the time out to go to games(one could mention that in the letter as well), maybe that would send a message. All it costs is an envelope and a stamp. Who knows it could work, maybe not. But we should try that before an interview. A large amount of letters might cause an interview.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
You should write down and make a list of all the questions you would ask him and post them on this board for other members to read.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Scott, If you have 100k lying around that might entice the Emperor.
He needs to keep his coffers full in case of fines from the NHL (mafia).
You never know when a Pens - Isles game gets out of hand.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It's Wang's team-not ours. He can do whatever it is he likes with it. I know it sucks-but it's the way it is (and the the way it should be). No sense in giving him interviews. He'll just answer with perfect PR questions anyway, and why would he even agree to one?

The only way I'll defend Wang is this: why should he be expected to invest tons of money into the team, when the fans don't Check out our attendance numbers. They've been pathetic for most of the past 2 decades (including before Wang). Every owner should run their franchise as a business. And the Islanders don't have the fanbase that most other teams do. We have a very dedicated core (and a relatively small one at that)...but honestly we lack the casual fans that most other franchises have. Brooklyn could (or could not) change that.

Don't get me wrong I think Wang's a crappy owner-and I'd love him to sell the team. But it's his team, so we need to deal with it.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Wang is not a crappy owner in the sense he intends to destroy what he owns to spite us.
He is ignorant of the culture and workings of the game, he is inept, bumbling, does not understand either the product side or the business side of hockey.
Wang was warned not to keep Milbury when he bought the Islanders by many people, Bettman among them. But Wang din't listen. When the fans called for MMM's head, Wang supported him, even shouting back to fans " Mike must stay". Then the whole Smith-Snow fiasco. We have a stubborn, uninformed man who is willing to operate at the most embarrassingly low level of incompetence rather than follow prescribed, tried and true methods of management in this business. I don't know what you call that but some would call it insanity.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
More Islander Mad Libs!

Everything in the castle Midas touched turned to gold.

Everything Wang touches in the NHL turns to _______.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Chairman Wang has been very quiet this year. Nothing, nada, el zippo! Was he even at the Ranger$ game at Yankee Stadium? Has he been the Witness Protection Program? The only big news this year ownership-wise has been the fact that they will play one season at the Mausoleum and then escape Nassau County and TOH for Brooklyn. Why wait?

He has run this team like he rather lose games then money and where loyalty is more important than results and it shows.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wang is not a crappy owner in the sense he intends to destroy what he owns to spite us.
He is ignorant of the culture and workings of the game, he is inept, bumbling, does not understand either the product side or the business side of hockey.
Wang was warned not to keep Milbury when he bought the Islanders by many people, Bettman among them. But Wang din't listen. When the fans called for MMM's head, Wang supported him, even shouting back to fans " Mike must stay". Then the whole Smith-Snow fiasco. We have a stubborn, uninformed man who is willing to operate at the most embarrassingly low level of incompetence rather than follow prescribed, tried and true methods of management in this business. I don't know what you call that but some would call it insanity.

I think Wang's problem is he is working on the idea how do I pay the lowest amount of money possible instead of he maybe if I invest 10M more into the team(which would be 2 free agents basically) attendance will increase and I can sell tickets for more due to the team actually being in the thick of things. He is basically taking the road of he rather bet on the sure thing(ie low overhead, no risk) then the riskier move(higher overhead, more potential profit but potential bigger loss)

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
It's Wang's team-not ours. He can do whatever it is he likes with it. I know it sucks-but it's the way it is (and the the way it should be). No sense in giving him interviews. He'll just answer with perfect PR questions anyway, and why would he even agree to one?

The only way I'll defend Wang is this: why should he be expected to invest tons of money into the team, when the fans don't Check out our attendance numbers. They've been pathetic for most of the past 2 decades (including before Wang). Every owner should run their franchise as a business. And the Islanders don't have the fanbase that most other teams do. We have a very dedicated core (and a relatively small one at that)...but honestly we lack the casual fans that most other franchises have. Brooklyn could (or could not) change that.

Don't get me wrong I think Wang's a crappy owner-and I'd love him to sell the team. But it's his team, so we need to deal with it.

Are you angry at people who refused to buy Yugos?

On him owning the team and us having to deal with it.....does a consumer have a right to petition and boycott a product that is not good? Yes....and they can pressure Wang to sell to get their product back. It's all they can do. Wang doesn't have to sell, but the importance of him knowing he won't make money so long as he owns the team is what will change the team....it's all a fan can do and it's powerful.....

until you realize how many will still apologize for him and spend money on Wang and keep going so nothing will ever change. Ever.

If everyone stopped going, things would change. That's how business works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad