Value of: What would it take to get MTL another 1st Rd Pick?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
There is no blue chip center in this draft so id rather use the 4 2nd rounders and hope for the best.

They will likely end up with another 1st anyways if they still move Patches.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@Canadienna In 2015 the Leafs netted 61+68 over two deals moving from 24 to 34, and in 2011 used 30 and 39 to get 22.
Getting past 20 from 36 would IMO take at least 38, ~55, and 66, and that's if they can find the teams to climb the ladder (or a team to do it in one shot). Depending on who else was on the board @ 26 if Veleno was there and the Habs came calling I'd want either 36+38 or 36+55+66 (with strong preference to the former

You do understand that's the equivalent of saying Mtl would be open to its earliest 2nd rd pick and a little plus for Buchnevich right? (Either fanbases and GM don't do it.)
It's not that great of offer but that's no really a fair comparable. the difference between the picks is at least a 2nd, and while Bergevin has completely bungled AG's contract situation turning him into an expiring asset Buchnevich still comes with team control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
In 2015 the Leafs netted 61+68 over two deals moving from 24 to 34, and in 2011 used 30 and 39 to get 22.
Getting past 20 from 36 would IMO take at least 38, ~55, and 66, and that's if they can find the teams to climb the ladder (or a team to do it in one shot). Depending on who else was on the board @ 26 if Veleno was there and the Habs came calling I'd want 36+38.

It's not that great of offer but that's no really a fair comparable. the difference between the picks is at least a 2nd, and while Bergevin has completely bungled AG's contract situation turning him into an expiring asset Buchnevich still comes with team control.

No, Galchenyuk's contract hasn't been bungled. He is going to need to earn his next one.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
No, Galchenyuk's contract hasn't been bungled. He is going to need to earn his next one.
And who exactly will be free to offer him his next one?

Having to bid against the market for a 26 year old 2nd overall pick (who has every reason to stick it to you/ want out) is the definition of bungling.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
And who exactly will be free to offer him his next one?

Having to bid against the market for a 26 year old 2nd overall pick (who has every reason to stick it to you/ want out) is the definition of bungling.

3rd overall pick for what it matters. If he isn't traded he'll probably resign. He needs to start playing more consistently if he wants to see a major increase in salary, at which point he'll be worth it. Pretty simple.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
3rd overall pick for what it matters. If he isn't traded he'll probably resign. He needs to start playing more consistently if he wants to see a major increase in salary, at which point he'll be worth it. Pretty simple.

If he is traded it's at neutered value because the receiving team is getting an expiring asset. (Unless a trade and sign in the last year of his deal.
"He'll probably re-sign"- why? The excellent way he's been handled/ developed and the sunny outlook of the franchise?

Bergevin gave away all leverage in the situation and lost long term control of what should be a core asset for what? to pay market value (not even a discount) rather than the slight premium required to lock young guys up long term because he wanted to save a couple million to reinforce the shitty team he hilariously thought could contend? Then if you're not ready to go long term yet give a one year "show me" and maintain his rights. Bungled, pretty simple. Unless of course they've identified AG has a secondary piece that they're ready to walk away from.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
If he is traded it's at neutered value because the receiving team is getting an expiring asset. (Unless a trade and sign in the last year of his deal.
"He'll probably re-sign"- why? The excellent way he's been handled/ developed and the sunny outlook of the franchise?

Bergevin gave away all leverage in the situation and lost long term control of what should be a core asset for what? to pay market value (not even a discount) rather than the slight premium required to lock young guys up long term because he wanted to save a couple million to reinforce the ****ty team he hilariously thought could contend? Then if you're not ready to go long term yet give a one year "show me" and maintain his rights. Bungled, pretty simple. Unless of course they've identified AG has a secondary piece that they're ready to walk away from.

Nah he'll resign or they'll trade him for something decent.

Nothing you said acttally has substance behind it, you've been drinking too much hfboards cynical Kool aid

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Nah he'll resign or they'll trade him for something decent.

Nothing you said acttally has substance behind it, you've been drinking too much hfboards cynical Kool aid
Legitimately laughed out loud at the irony

Getting this back on track- while not fair 27th+ for Galchenyuk is a significantly better deal than 36th+ for Buchnevich, and getting into the top 20 would almost certainly take more than 36+38

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You do understand that's the equivalent of saying Mtl would be open to its earliest 2nd rd pick and a little plus for Buchnevich right? (Either fanbases and GM don't do it.)
I didn't say a little plus, I said plus something. Could be a late first plus Spooner for example. Not 100% sure I'd do that, but the point is the plus can be any number of things.

And I thought Galy had some potential issues with his usage and position while Buch seems happy with NYR overall despite being misused.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It would take trading Pacioretty to the Islanders as part of a package deal to get one of the Islanders two 1st round picks along with other pieces from the Islanders.
sorry not interested we're focused on retainig our own, not helping you poach him

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Habs don't need another first round pick. Two of their second round picks are high in the round, tantamount to a late first rounder.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Trade one of Gallagher or Pacioretty. Gallagher is having a great year on a cheap contract, could get some solid value.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I didn't say a little plus, I said plus something. Could be a late first plus Spooner for example. Not 100% sure I'd do that, but the point is the plus can be any number of things.

And I thought Galy had some potential issues with his usage and position while Buch seems happy with NYR overall despite being misused.
Not interested in Spooner and a late first..You want Chucky you better up the offer.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Legitimately laughed out loud at the irony

Getting this back on track- while not fair 27th+ for Galchenyuk is a significantly better deal than 36th+ for Buchnevich, and getting into the top 20 would almost certainly take more than 36+38

Who cares they are both crap deals

There isn't anything ironic in my post by the way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad