Proposal: What would it take to get Mcdavid to the Leafs?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed....but not like this & I'm absolutely certain McD is not part of the problem

Correct.

Edmonton has two McDavid related problems.

1) The officials absolutely will not call anything when he's infracted, because he's too good and he gets infracted all the time
2) the team around McDavid is not anywhere near good enough.

Neither of these things are fixed by trading McDavid. 2 can be fixed by adding good pieces this offseason now that we have cap space. Take advantage of teams that go 4-4-1 and don't want to lose their 5th best forward for nothing, sign a couple solid free agents, figure out a goalie to platoon with Smith, and we're in business.

I don't know how to fix 1.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Both teams have the same problem - lack of playoff success. A change of scenery would be in the best interests of Matthews/Marner and McDavid

McDavid does not need a change of scenery, he just. Needs a supporting cast around him. There has been no depth since he got there.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I would like the Oilers to build at least a half assed roster before I consider trading McDavid. I think they may be at half an ass cheek right now.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It was shocking for most fans to see Mc David not score for two games against the Jets. Marner/Matthews playoff performance this year was disappointing but we have seen it before it's wasn't shocking it was just disappointing again.

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
It was shocking for most fans to see Mc David not score for two games against the Jets. Marner/Matthews playoff performance this year was disappointing but we have seen it before it's wasn't shocking it was just disappointing again.
I believe McD didn't score a goal until game 4

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What's the Oilers plan regarding Nugent-Hopkins? At $6m isn't he a UFA this summer

Hopefully we keep him, but if we don't, we'll need to replace him at or around his current hit. a guy like Marner is of no interest purely because of his cap hit - that and the no goals in his last 18 playoff games thing.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Matthews, Marner, and Reilly all 50% retained, plus next 10 years first round picks. While the Leafs take back Neal, Kassian, and Koskinen. Might be able to start the conversation... But I doubt the oilers bite.

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
Another big obstacle I overlooked is that Matthews only has 3 years left on his contract. McDavid 5

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
McDavid + Neal for Matthews (50% retained), Marner (25% retained) , Robertson, Sandin, 2022-2028 1st round draft picks

+

Swapping the Oilers 7th round pick for Toronto's third round pick until 2030.
Oilers get the option to swap picks with Toronto in every round until 2030.

I sincerely believe there is no offer (outside something crazy like Matthews at 50% + Nylander at 50% + Brodie at 50% + Robertson+Sandin+Amirov+Campbell+4 firsts for McDavid, Neal, Koskinen and Kassian) that gets a McDavid deal done right now..
Holy crap guys, are you sure you're asking enough?

Reactions: Mitch Matthews

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Pretty accurate, IMO.

I sincerely believe there is no offer (outside something crazy like Matthews at 50% + Nylander at 50% + Brodie at 50% + Robertson+Sandin+Amirov+Campbell+4 firsts for McDavid, Neal, Koskinen and Kassian) that gets a McDavid deal done right now.

Only way it happens is when he's a year out from free agency, we've won f*** all, and we decide to get a bunch of assets for the next old-balls washed up GM we hire to use in whatever his dealings are, in which case a package like you suggested would do it.

FTFY

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
That's kind of the point though. There is no such thing as a "reasonable" or "palatable" asking price for Connor McDavid.
So after the trade the Leafs have McDavid, about 20M in dead cap and a smoking hole where their depth used to be.
Oilers have 3 top 10 scorers on hugely discounted contracts, no bad contracts, tons of cap space and tons of depth.
Seems like a fair deal to me. I get that it would take a lot but you guys are asking for the moon.

Someone said Lindros 2.0 return, I assume that means 2.0x as much (or more) than 18YO Lindros was traded for.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It just isn't going to happen. Fixing the Oilers does not include trading McDavid. Fixing the Oilers includes surrounding him with legit top six talent so all of the weight of all of the scoring doesn't fall on his shoulders.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So after the trade the Leafs have McDavid, about 20M in dead cap and a smoking hole where their depth used to be.
Oilers have 3 top 10 scorers on hugely discounted contracts, no bad contracts, tons of cap space and tons of depth.
Seems like a fair deal to me. I get that it would take a lot but you guys are asking for the moon.

Someone said Lindros 2.0 return, I assume that means 2.0x as much (or more) than 18YO Lindros was traded for.

The actual moon is about what it would take. See, if youre coming asking for McDavid, we don't much care if it makes Toronto better.

I've said this before, but if you come asking for McDavid, and you're not willing to let us go through your team and fill our cart like a stoned college kid in the snack aisle of the dollar store.... don't come asking.

About the only way to get McDavid to Toronto is if the Oilers packed up shop and moved to the GTA as the Hogtown Oilers.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
So the fourth and seventh point leaders during the regular season wouldn't do it for you?

Theres a $10 million cap difference. Hypothetically say Edmonton offers Landeskog $10 per as a UFA. Who would you rather have?

McDavid + Landeskog or Matthews + Marner

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
The only way it happens is if he demanded it, which won't happen. But if he did and the Oilers were being grabbed by the balls, hypothetically a Matthews + wouldn't be too far off imo. Only because the Oilers would be at the disadvantage of him wanting out. Not saying he's close in value, so don't attack me.

Either way, not happening but you can start counting the days til he hits UFA if you want lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad