What would happen if there is no OHL season? (Part 2)

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
In order to play in any public facility they would have to have insurance. I'm sure players/parents are footing the bills along with lodging, officials etc.
Is that an American thing? I've never been asked for proof of insurance to use a public facility.

And that insurance also means medical? If that's the case there must be a lot of American s that can't use public facilities

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the insurance carried is mostly liability against the organizers of the leagues.

Medical insurance should not be required but because it is in the USA, there may be some private insurance required.

The real insurance would be for career ending type issues. The OHL's insurance would not cover this of course.

So, there would be three levels of insurance here:
1 - Liability
2 - personal health
3 - career protection

The first would be the responsibility of the organizers. Collectively, each player would have to pay for that as part of the league expenses. The second two, I would assume the league has either arranged a provider and each player signs and pays for their own insurance OR the league is including it in their expenses and the players pay for it collectively.

I have a feeling, as this becomes more publicized, they are going to raise a decent amount of $$$. I'd be surprised if the players end up having to pay $$$ to participate.

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
The OHL looks even worse now that the players found a way to make a bubble to showcase their talent. Parents and players will even have to cover expenses to showcase their kid because the league failed them.

If I was the new President I would announce immediately that the league will restart early September 2021 even if they have to start in a bubble. Whatever the cost. Give something real to its players now before its too late...

Reactions: bigsportsfan

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
The article in THW has been updated with answers to most of the questions posed in this thread.

Here’s a quick cut and paste:

-This showcase is entirely a non-profit event funded by both charitable organizations and people from around the country.

-If there’s any money left, it will be given back to the Erie community in some way.

-According to Hoffmann, all legal/medical is good to go for the players who participate.

This showcase is completely separate from the OHL.

-Former NHL players and scouts will be at this showcase.

-Vendors will be there too including CCM so players will have a chance to interact with them.

-As of Saturday afternoon, the number of players confirmed to be in Erie stands at over 125. This includes 77-79 forwards, 31-34 defensemen and 12 goalies. That number is expected to go up.

-The website for this showcase will go live on Monday.

-This showcase will be streamed in some form, although final details are still being worked out.

https://thehockeywriters.com/erie-hosting-major-junior-hockey-showcase/

member 71782

The OHL looks even worse now that the players found a way to make a bubble to showcase their talent. Parents and players will even have to cover expenses to showcase their kid because the league failed them.

If I was the new President I would announce immediately that the league will restart early September 2021 even if they have to start in a bubble. Whatever the cost. Give something real to its players now before its too late...

Kids, parents and likely some support from agents, scouts etc were able to get this done yet some very well to do owners couldn't/wouldn't. It says a lot about the current state of the league as a whole and agree it will make them look that much worse. For those owners that were willing to do what had to be done to get a season, I would guess they would be willing to quietly "donate" to help out with this and good for them but any ownership group that has not been pushing hard to get things on track this season and likely wouldn't be cutting a cheque for the kids doing this, it's time to find new ownership groups to replace them.

The league faces more competition every year from other leagues, they need owners that are willing to meet the challenge.

OffIceMan

Oct 27, 2013
The article in THW has been updated with answers to most of the questions posed in this thread.

Here’s a quick cut and paste:

-This showcase is entirely a non-profit event funded by both charitable organizations and people from around the country.

-If there’s any money left, it will be given back to the Erie community in some way.

-According to Hoffmann, all legal/medical is good to go for the players who participate.

This showcase is completely separate from the OHL.

-Former NHL players and scouts will be at this showcase.

-Vendors will be there too including CCM so players will have a chance to interact with them.

-As of Saturday afternoon, the number of players confirmed to be in Erie stands at over 125. This includes 77-79 forwards, 31-34 defensemen and 12 goalies. That number is expected to go up.

-The website for this showcase will go live on Monday.

-This showcase will be streamed in some form, although final details are still being worked out.

https://thehockeywriters.com/erie-hosting-major-junior-hockey-showcase/
Just for some background. The president of the group that runs the facility was the billet for McDavid during his stay here. Maybe he put a call asking for a favor.

Also, the facility is located right off Interstate 90 south of Erie and there are plenty of hotels nearby. There's also a dormitory nearby that just hosted over 100 migrant children for a few days. So, there's no shortage of rooms where the players can quarantine while not practicing or playing.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Just for some background. The president of the group that runs the facility was the billet for McDavid during his stay here. Maybe he put a call asking for a favor.

Also, the facility is located right off Interstate 90 south of Erie and there are plenty of hotels nearby. There's also a dormitory nearby that just hosted over 100 migrant children for a few days. So, there's no shortage of rooms where the players can quarantine while not practicing or playing.

That's all very good information.

The only concern that may be raised is how will they enforce over 100 players following COVID protocol. For me I don't see it being an issue as they are all dying to play, but you still need to be sure. All of the Ontario-born players have been in lockdown for a month. It's not sanctioned with the OHL at all, so there can't be any consequences from the league next season if someone were to break the protocol set in.

Once again, I can't see it being an issue, but people are going to want to see that there's a firm plan to make sure this doesn't happen.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
This is why I have been saying that I don't believe the OHL tried hard enough to make this happen. The government told the OHL back in the fall that the only way they can play a normal season is in a bubble. But the OHL and many OHL teams stated in the media that they couldn't afford to play in a bubble. Then finally in April the OHL agreed to play in a bubble but by then it was too late. Had they agreed to play in a bubble in the fall, the OHL would have had a season.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That's all very good information.

The only concern that may be raised is how will they enforce over 100 players following COVID protocol. For me I don't see it being an issue as they are all dying to play, but you still need to be sure. All of the Ontario-born players have been in lockdown for a month. It's not sanctioned with the OHL at all, so there can't be any consequences from the league next season if someone were to break the protocol set in.

Once again, I can't see it being an issue, but people are going to want to see that there's a firm plan to make sure this doesn't happen.

State of Pennsylvania protocols will need to be respected.

The Province of Ontario, Government of Canada and the Ontario Hockey League can all effectively go kick rocks.

There is no "moral authority" that will stop this from happening and if any of the afformentioned three entities decide it is in their best interest to try to block this or retaliate with sanctions of some kind will find themselves in a terrible situation of already erroded public perception.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is why I have been saying that I don't believe the OHL tried hard enough to make this happen. The government told the OHL back in the fall that the only way they can play a normal season is in a bubble. But the OHL and many OHL teams stated in the media that they couldn't afford to play in a bubble. Then finally in April the OHL agreed to play in a bubble but by then it was too late. Had they agreed to play in a bubble in the fall, the OHL would have had a season.

A bubble was not required as evidenced by other leagues operatong. The alternate requirements combined with the restrictions was something the league was unable to accept.

1 - if players were to live in billet situations, they had to be sequestered to their rooms with the exception of meals and washroom time.
2 - body contact was prohibited
3 - social distancing was to be enforced including multiple dressing rooms and non-interchangable cohorts

There were probably other things included that would have severely restricted the OHL from operating as a development league. As such, the costs associated would have needed to be completely underwritten by the Province. I believe the Province was prepared to do so.

Alternatively, they could have had a bubble but as you suggest, that cost is more prohibitive for a 6 month season so having a reduced schedule would have made sense.

Somewhere in all of that were owners not on the same page and a Commissioner unable to get them on the same page. The mandate of the league was discarded and with it the players development.

This League needs to find a way forward but it needs to start with owners on the same page. Unfortunately, that is far more difficult than can take place over the course of a summer.

I wish them luck. They'll need it.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Is this showcase also for Europe players?
I’m not trying to put words in the mouths of the players organizing the showcase, but I get the sense that they are looking to say “Yes” more than “No” to those who are desperate for an opportunity to show what they’ve got.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Realistically, how much weight would a two week showcase of guys that probably aren’t on the NHL’s radar really have? Would it not be better for a player to focus on having a great ohl season next year than risk injury now, or maybe risking having a bad tourney and hence a bad look since a lot of these guys haven’t played meaningful hockey in over a year???

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Realistically, how much weight would a two week showcase of guys that probably aren’t on the NHL’s radar really have? Would it not be better for a player to focus on having a great ohl season next year than risk injury now, or maybe risking having a bad tourney and hence a bad look since a lot of these guys haven’t played meaningful hockey in over a year???

Depends how you look at it I guess.

Some people will probably think that a 2 week tournament of sorts won’t hold much weight and that they could risk injury. Some may think that if they have a good 2 weeks, they could at least get on the radar of some NHL teams and if they don’t play very well, it’s not the end of the world because they haven’t played a game in over a year.

I’m not in any position to advise players, but if I were I’d be pushing players to go. This will, for a lot of players, be their only opportunity to be in front of scouts in person for this years draft. Even if you don’t end up playing very well or getting drafted this year, you go into the “off-season” leading up to the fall with a better understanding of where you are at and what you can work on or improve after playing against all these other OHLers for the first time since last year.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
A bubble was not required as evidenced by other leagues operatong. The alternate requirements combined with the restrictions was something the league was unable to accept.

1 - if players were to live in billet situations, they had to be sequestered to their rooms with the exception of meals and washroom time.
2 - body contact was prohibited
3 - social distancing was to be enforced including multiple dressing rooms and non-interchangable cohorts

There were probably other things included that would have severely restricted the OHL from operating as a development league. As such, the costs associated would have needed to be completely underwritten by the Province. I believe the Province was prepared to do so.

Alternatively, they could have had a bubble but as you suggest, that cost is more prohibitive for a 6 month season so having a reduced schedule would have made sense.

Somewhere in all of that were owners not on the same page and a Commissioner unable to get them on the same page. The mandate of the league was discarded and with it the players development.

This League needs to find a way forward but it needs to start with owners on the same page. Unfortunately, that is far more difficult than can take place over the course of a summer.

I wish them luck. They'll need it.

While some leagues operated without a bubble, seven WHL teams in Manitoba and Saskatchewan as well as five WHL teams in BC all played (and are still playing) their entire season in a bubble. As well, some QMJHL teams in Quebec also played part of the season in a bubble.

As well, it is my understanding that the no body contact provision was only applicable if the games were played outside of a bubble. However, when the no body contact restriction was announced, the OHL was still maintaining that it would be impossible for them to play in a bubble.

That is why the most recent plan by the OHL in April to finally play in a bubble did not have the no body contact restriction by the government.

Reactions: EvenSteven

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Rather than evaluate every single setup used by Junior hockey, I’ll just say this: by far the most successful approach was the University of Regina “real” bubble.

7 teams, 48 total days (including initial quarantine/camp), 84 games, 310 practices, 1,930 Covid tests with 0 positives.

REAL (Regina Exhibition Association Limited), which is 100% owned by the City of Regina, believes this resounding success will allow the City to attract additional major events, such as the recently postponed IIHF World Women’s Championship. After all, nothing beats a track record of success.

Regina WHL Hub success could lead to more large-scale events

Many posters here speculated about using post-secondary institutions’ facilities for an OHL season. Obviously, that never happened, but the WHL’s U of Regina experience suggests that robust partnerships between leagues/cities/post-secondary institutions can be Win-Win deals.

But for the OHL to have pursued this route, there needed to be agreement amongst the 20 owners that government funding would go directly and solely to operating these bubbles and providing a season for the players. Obviously, that proved elusive.

Moroz

Aug 18, 2018
The Pennsylvania Department of Health has issued a press release indicating that all COVID mitigation orders, other than masking, will be lifted on Memorial Day (May 31): Health Details . The masking order will be lifted when 70% of PA residents 18 or older are fully vaccinated. That would be about 7.115 million persons. At the moment, about 3.582 million are fully vaccinated, and about 5.181 are partially vaccinated. So that threshold will likely be reached somewhere around the end of the month as well.

This would appear to permit the Erie Showcase to have full attendance. The press release is short on detail, so there will probably be more to come. The most restrictive constraint on attendance at venues is the social distancing requirement. I am not certain how consistent it would be to lift the social distancing requirement but to retain the masking requirement.

This broad sweeping away of mitigation measures seems out of character for the State, given how it has reacted to COVID issues in the past. So we shall have to see whether this development holds true.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
This just reiterates my opinion. Branch blew it, and for that reason he should be gone.

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
In September we had 150 covid cases per day and it was deemed too dangerous to play. Does that mean OHL will only start in 2024 when we have -10 cases per day ??? Think about it now how ridiculous it was to postpone the season for so few cases..

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
In September we had 150 covid cases per day and it was deemed too dangerous to play. Does that mean OHL will only start in 2024 when we have -10 cases per day ??? Think about it now how ridiculous it was to postpone the season for so few cases..

Not few cases in some areas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad