What would happen if there is no OHL season? (Part 2)

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Don't be surprised to see any league discussions be squashed by the Gov't. No matter who is talking GM's are planning for September 2021. As for 2020-21 season I don't believe that the OHL is sitting hopeful that they will play before the fall of 2021 and into 2022.

Would expect that this announcement will be nothing more then a friendly reminder to fans that the OHL is still talking with the Gov't about safe R2P scenarios and that they will be working on several different scenarios that will be announced at a later date in time.

The 2020-21 season is long since ran out of road to return safely this year and I believe any discussions at this point are or will be directly linked to a safe return to play plans for the fall of 2021-22. That will give the OHL a runway of 5 months to get contingency plans in place if need be and prepare the players and teams to possibly setup a quarantining protocols if need be.

Even the last time the OHL made an date announcement about R2P was a stretch in itself. I fully expect that by the fall of 2021 the chances of seeing the OHL return are more likely as the majority of the Provincial population will hopefully be safely vaccinated from Covid-19. But as for and R2P plan or scenarios for 2020-21 that time has long since passed months ago.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
At this point I'm looking towards fall and what 2021-22 will look like. At the rate we are being vaccinated, I can't see any Canadian 16-20 year old high performance athlete being vaccinated come August/September. The govt. will be in a bit of a pickle if that's the case. If they are going to allow a bunch of non-vaccinated youth go play, then what were they waiting for this whole time? I get that more of the public will be vaccinated so things should be a bit more under control, but they can't say it's about player safety if they aren't vaccinated and not playing in a bubble. But if they don't start up on time, the other 2 leagues will be in their 2nd season since the pandemic began while they haven't even started their 1st.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
The only possibility would be for the OHL to stage a tournament of sorts

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
I’m announcing that yesterday’s announcement for today’s conference call has been postponed until we get approval by Lisa McLeod that the next announcement will be to announce that Monday’s meeting will be pushed to next... whatever week the OHL feels like enough people won’t be surprised by the announcement that the 2020-2021 season will be played in 2027 when she’s no longer in office.

Have a nice summer everyone I’m out

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At this point I'm looking towards fall and what 2021-22 will look like. At the rate we are being vaccinated, I can't see any Canadian 16-20 year old high performance athlete being vaccinated come August/September. The govt. will be in a bit of a pickle if that's the case. If they are going to allow a bunch of non-vaccinated youth go play, then what were they waiting for this whole time? I get that more of the public will be vaccinated so things should be a bit more under control, but they can't say it's about player safety if they aren't vaccinated and not playing in a bubble. But if they don't start up on time, the other 2 leagues will be in their 2nd season since the pandemic began while they haven't even started their 1st.

I think we are looking at late-Sept to early-Oct for full vaccination; however, since they are doing the one shot and wait 16 weeks or less, most everyone that wants it will have their first jab by July. That will probably be enough for the youth to get the ability to play, especially when they'll get their second by mid-October.

I do think there will be a delay for a start to the season but I think that will have more to do with aligning better with the NHL. That won't be a big deal though. A 4 week delay shouldn't cause much of a problem.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Ontario just extended their Stay at Home Order (effective now), have implemented more measures effective 12:01am Sat, and even more that are effective 12:01am Monday. I'd be surprised if players can even get to the rinks to do anything.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Ontario just extended their Stay at Home Order (effective now), have implemented more measures effective 12:01am Sat, and even more that are effective 12:01am Monday. I'd be surprised if players can even get to the rinks to do anything.

They should just not.
Stay safe.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Does anyone think the OHL bought 2 more weeks to start their season when the Memorial Cup was cancelled. They must at least have a time in mind when the season must end. That time has just been eaten up by extension of the latest shutdown.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The season is done. The big question is what happens to the players that are playing in the AHL this year and will not be ready for the NHL next year. Do they really think guys like Quinn, Drysdale, Byfield et al are going to want to come back to the OHL?

Next season will be an interesting one as it will be mostly rookie players on teams. with a few second-year players.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I do find it interesting that about 6-8 months ago the “biggest” hurdle for the OHL was the United States border and US teams/players. Fans in the stands was a big issue as well but most on here seemed to think the OHL could just continue on with a limited structured season without the 3 US teams like it was nothing.

Now it seems that what is actually going to flat out end any real chance of OHL hockey before the fall is Ontario and their rising numbers and shutdown. Meanwhile the US has fully resumed local sports with limited capacity as they approach 25% fully vaccinated in the population and 40% with at least one dose.

It goes to show yet another hurdle the league has faced more than most sports league - teams in 2 countries combined with teenagers (not adults) that are from multiple countries - combined with poor planning and limited funds to support no fans and this is what you get... no hockey for 18-20 months

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The OHL needs to come out with a formal "we're focusing on 2021-22" announcement asap. Ontario is a total sh!tshow right now and junior hockey isn't a priority. The league cannot continue to "hmmm"; it needs clear, concise communication and a focus on the next chapter.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The OHL needs to come out with a formal "we're focusing on 2021-22" announcement asap. Ontario is a total sh!tshow right now and junior hockey isn't a priority. The league cannot continue to "hmmm"; it needs clear, concise communication and a focus on the next chapter.

I dont think junior hockey was ever a priority in Ontario during this.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I do find it interesting that about 6-8 months ago the “biggest” hurdle for the OHL was the United States border and US teams/players. Fans in the stands was a big issue as well but most on here seemed to think the OHL could just continue on with a limited structured season without the 3 US teams like it was nothing.

Now it seems that what is actually going to flat out end any real chance of OHL hockey before the fall is Ontario and their rising numbers and shutdown. Meanwhile the US has fully resumed local sports with limited capacity as they approach 25% fully vaccinated in the population and 40% with at least one dose.

It goes to show yet another hurdle the league has faced more than most sports league - teams in 2 countries combined with teenagers (not adults) that are from multiple countries - combined with poor planning and limited funds to support no fans and this is what you get... no hockey for 18-20 months

The OHL does not have franchises throughout the US. 2 of the 3 are in Michigan.

What's behind Michigan's COVID-19 surge?

“Michigan is reporting 580.4 new daily cases per million people, among the highest in the nation, and an 18.2% positivity rate. The state reported 3,842 patients hospitalized, a level unseen since the second surge in cases last fall.

The new wave of infections is primarily hitting younger people. Youth sports, in-person classes and social gatherings are driving the case increase among younger people, health officials have said.

People 10-29 are 30% of the state's total confirmed COVID-19 cases, according to MDHHS.”

Reactions: Otto

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The OHL does not have franchises throughout the US. 2 of the 3 are in Michigan.

What's behind Michigan's COVID-19 surge?

“Michigan is reporting 580.4 new daily cases per million people, among the highest in the nation, and an 18.2% positivity rate. The state reported 3,842 patients hospitalized, a level unseen since the second surge in cases last fall.

The new wave of infections is primarily hitting younger people. Youth sports, in-person classes and social gatherings are driving the case increase among younger people, health officials have said.

People 10-29 are 30% of the state's total confirmed COVID-19 cases, according to MDHHS.”

And your point? United States has 1/4 of the population fully vaccinated. They are in much better shape to start withstanding these “new waves” especially having gone through it before. Until the country gets closer to 50-60% vaccinated then the waves will 100% still happen. We already know these vaccines don’t prevent you from actually carrying the virus. So again, what is your point??? They are in position to have 75% population vaccinated by summer. If the vaccines aren’t working then that’s a whole new problem that the entire world will have to take on and the world may never recover - so the CHL will easily fold.

My point overall is that the United States numbers OVERALL are way down than what they were. The vaccines are being rolled out to anyone that wants one and it’s pretty easy to get all things considered. So again the United States in theory could be close to fully vaccinated by summer let alone by fall for the new potential season hockey. Can’t say the same about Canada. Again, if the US is still at these numbers, including Michigan, come October then you all have bigger worries than OHL hockey because that means the vaccine is not effective and/or the variants are overwhelming.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

That train has long left the station. There's no need to say they are focusing on 21-22 5 months from now. Junior hockey was never a priority from November 2020 to current day.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
And your point? United States has 1/4 of the population fully vaccinated. They are in much better shape to start withstanding these “new waves” especially having gone through it before. Until the country gets closer to 50-60% vaccinated then the waves will 100% still happen. We already know these vaccines don’t prevent you from actually carrying the virus. So again, what is your point??? They are in position to have 75% population vaccinated by summer. If the vaccines aren’t working then that’s a whole new problem that the entire world will have to take on and the world may never recover - so the CHL will easily fold.

My point overall is that the United States numbers OVERALL are way down than what they were. The vaccines are being rolled out to anyone that wants one and it’s pretty easy to get all things considered. So again the United States in theory could be close to fully vaccinated by summer let alone by fall for the new potential season hockey. Can’t say the same about Canada. Again, if the US is still at these numbers, including Michigan, come October then you all have bigger worries than OHL hockey because that means the vaccine is not effective and/or the variants are overwhelming.

My point is simply that neither Ontario nor Michigan can claim to be ready to host OHL hockey right now.

As for the future, I’m not going there — we all hope for the best, but the last 14 months have taught me to believe a lot of things when I see them.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
My point is simply that neither Ontario nor Michigan can claim to be ready to host OHL hockey right now.

As for the future, I’m not going there — we all hope for the best, but the last 14 months have taught me to believe a lot of things when I see them.

So that leaves us with a bubble tournament in Erie!?!

Reactions: EvenSteven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad