OT: What would happen if Staples Center was destroyed?

KingKopitar11*

I was talking to some friends and randomly the question came up about what the kings would do if Staples Center was completely destroyed by an asteroid or something, or the building collapses by an earthquake. what would happen to the games?

Would all home games be canceled? Would the games be played else where? Ponda center? Or what. How would it work. Is there a plan that all teams make in case their stadium just becomes wrecked?

I'm just wondering if we'd play home games at all, or it'd be scheduled else where.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Well, no matter what, the season wouldn't be cancelled. Just have to look at other teams, where in the event of a natural disaster, like a hurricane or something, they can't use their stadium. They would just figure something out at another venue. If worse came to worst, all they need is a regulation sized rink, and there are several in the LA area. Would take a massive hit on ticket refunds though, but teams are insured for natural disasters. Don't worry, we've got earthquake insurance :P

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
They would simply shift the games around. Reschedule, Honda Center is not exactly a booked Arena

Ron*

I was talking to some friends and randomly the question came up about what the kings would do if Staples Center was completely destroyed by an asteroid or something, or the building collapses by an earthquake. what would happen to the games?

Would all home games be canceled? Would the games be played else where? Ponda center? Or what. How would it work. Is there a plan that all teams make in case their stadium just becomes wrecked?

I'm just wondering if we'd play home games at all, or it'd be scheduled else where.

You wouldn't have to worry about what the Kings would do if Staples Center got hit by an asteroid "or something."

As a matter of fact, you wouldn't have to worry about sports much.

As a matter of fact, you wouldn't have to worry about anything much.

If you understand what I am writing here.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You wouldn't have to worry about what the Kings would do if Staples Center got hit by an asteroid "or something."

As a matter of fact, you wouldn't have to worry about sports much.

As a matter of fact, you wouldn't have to worry about anything much.

If you understand what I am writing here.

LOL yup if an asteroid hit LA, you could pretty much guarantee all of California would be rubble.

The blast from an Asteroid hitting the surface is something like 100 times the force of a Nuclear blast.

KingKopitar11*

Ah I see

Well I think I sort of got onto the FBI's radar with this thread. :laugh:

Ron*

LOL yup if an asteroid hit LA, you could pretty much guarantee all of California would be rubble.

The blast from an Asteroid hitting the surface is something like 100 times the force of a Nuclear blast.

Well, actually, any real good-size asteroid striking the Earth would wipe out all life on the planet.

I think you are thinking of a meteor, where we would be ****ed but most of the planet can survive, even though wretched a survival it may be.

Ron*

Off-topic

Not sure how long Staples Center will last.

Well, the off-topic you started is actually a better discussion...as this thread begins to move in a smarter direction.

Staples is now 13 years old. It's a good question. How long will it last? Another 12 years, before we need a major remodel or new arena?

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
i belive that Staples Center woulde be destroyed only by human power... nowadays are buildig buildt to face earthquake...

KingKopitar11*

I see you guys basically looked at the asteroid part lol. :laugh: i said just destroyed overall and i used asteroid as a bad example. Sheesh :p:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
i belive that Staples Center woulde be destroyed only by human power... nowadays are buildig buildt to face earthquake...

There is no such thing as an earthquake proof building. Yes they are designed to withstand them but there are always bigger ones or ones that react in away that had not been thought about.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
It's really small but the arena that the Ontario Reign play in is nicer then you'd think it would be. It might do in an emergency situation.

I remember when the LA Riots happened that I got to see a Clipper play off game in the Anaheim convention center. That was cool.

Just got to be creative.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If a giant asteroid/meteor hit;
Picture LA Live and Staples Center in the middle and the surrounding LA area plus 10 miles out laid wasted.

Meteor_Crater.jpg

If the big one hit:
Picture LA Live and Staples Center in the middle completely destroyed
big-studiofire-cp-4957474.jpg

If Godzilla came from the ocean and destroyed LA Live and Staples :
Godzilla_demolish.JPG

Should one of these happen, hockey would be the least of our worries.
That being said, probably Long Beach or Ontario arenas.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Well, actually, any real good-size asteroid striking the Earth would wipe out all life on the planet.

I think you are thinking of a meteor, where we would be ****ed but most of the planet can survive, even though wretched a survival it may be.

Well at least all the trade Stoll talk would stop.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Well, the off-topic you started is actually a better discussion...as this thread begins to move in a smarter direction.

Staples is now 13 years old. It's a good question. How long will it last? Another 12 years, before we need a major remodel or new arena?

Staples is still considered state of the art as far as arenas go. As long as it is maintained and there is not some huge new breakthrough in arena design (sort of like they way luxury suites rendered older arenas obsolete) then Staples will be around FAR longer than 12 more years.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
If Godzilla came from the ocean and destroyed LA Live and Staples :
Godzilla_demolish.JPG

Godzilla is the one I always worry about. There is just no stopping him.

If an asteroid was heading towards the earth, I would have NASA send up the best blue collar deep sea drilling crew up to it. Once they drilled into its core, they could detonate a nuclear bomb and save earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad