OT: What would happen if HF Pens ran the Pens?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Much less patience in all areas, mostly for the worse. Guys like Despres and Harrington wouldn't have been drafted, probably not even Määttä (and Pouliot not 8th overall). Fleury would be gone for a mid-round pick. Letang would've been traded before he signed his monster deal, and Niskanen would've been dealt last summer. Tangradi would've been given a top 9 spot, and we'd still have hope for him. Rossi would've been blacklisted, denied access to the team and gotten beat up on the parking lot. Kulemin, Setoguchi and Stewart would be here (and all would be in our dog house :D). In general I think we'd have much less defensive depth but better forwards, and more roster turnover overall.

At least in Bylsma's case it would have been clearly for the better. We weren't blinded by personal loyalty and many saw right through him to the point where everything Mario and Burkle brought up in Dejan's interview had been discussed ad nauseam here earlier. I still don't get how the front office was this blind.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think we all agree that Adams would be long gone

Coaching changes would have been made sooner

Depth has been a problem since our Cup runs, haven't really done nothing about it since this year. Even we noticed it, would have been fixed

And after the Flyers series I think we could all agree Fleury would have been traded.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
If we ran the Pens. ..

We'll a lot of polls would start to happen

I could see us getting better for the short term but then we would probably burn out and begin losing lots and restart the cycle.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Adams, Dupuis, Scuderi would be gone somehow.

Kulemin would have been offered a max contract.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I think we could all agree that this years "drastic changes"... would have happened a few seasons ago. Specifically after getting embarrassed by Philly in the 2012 playoffs, as others have said. We never would have brought an over the hill Scuderi back from LA, especially playing in Bylsma's system... Scuderi was a good defenseman in a lot a different ways, superior puck skills was not one of them. Then again Bylsma wouldn't have been here so who knows?? Still signing Scuds for that much and that long... umm no thanks. Lastly, I'm not sure Jim Rutherford or Mike Johnston would be on anybodies candidate list for GM and coach. Very quick, I would have moved Martin during free agency... gotten at least 1 top six forward in return.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If you are talking about over the last few years for sure Adams, Dupuis, Scuds, Martin, Letang would be gone. Fleury would be in a mental hospital due to the split personalities this board has on him. Neal probably would still be here. Most likely at least 1 UFA winger would have been overpaid, meaning the defense would be full of rookies and the goaltending cheap due to the fact that a lot of people here think you can get by cheaping out on both if you have an all star top 6.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
If you are talking about over the last few years for sure Adams, Dupuis, Scuds, Martin, Letang would be gone. Fleury would be in a mental hospital due to the split personalities this board has on him. Neal probably would still be here. Most likely at least 1 UFA winger would have been overpaid, meaning the defense would be full of rookies and the goaltending cheap due to the fact that a lot of people here think you can get by cheaping out on both if you have an all star top 6.

Lol and a **** ton of blue chip prospects that you forgot about

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

You don't have to spend a fortune to get effective players. Goaltending is certainly a position that you can acquire excellent results and not spend more than 2-3mil.

The biggest problem this collective board has is over-reacting to a "down" season for a player. We seem to have a hard time determining if they are declining, dropped off a cliff, done for, or just recovering from injury and will rebound. I've been guilty of this too, esp with Martin/Malkin.

Knowing when to acquire (and release) players is the biggest issue this board has.

BigBenSF*

A couple ideas I had with us starting when Shero got canned:

-Scuderi and Adams would have been bought out
-We would have paid anything to get Kulemin here, and we would have not hesitated to sign Grabovski as well to get him here
-Neal probably wouldn't have been traded or would have been traded for futures
-Letang would have been traded and Niskanen re-signed
-We would have gone hard after Kesler, made low ball offers involving Sutter, and we wouldn't have gotten him
-Ehrhoff wouldn't be a Penguin

These accurate?

and apparently the salary cap wouldn't exist anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad