OT: What would happen if HF Pens ran the Pens?

penguins2946*

Inspired from the main board thread, let's imagine that we (HF Pens) get full control of the Pens, and we make all of our decisions based on community vote. What would we do? How would we do in the season?

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Evander Kane would be a Pen at all cost, Fluery for a bug of pucks, Scuderi and Dupuis assassinated, Adams would have been beaten with a tire iron. I could go on.

penguins2946*

A couple ideas I had with us starting when Shero got canned:

-Scuderi and Adams would have been bought out
-We would have paid anything to get Kulemin here, and we would have not hesitated to sign Grabovski as well to get him here
-Neal probably wouldn't have been traded or would have been traded for futures
-Letang would have been traded and Niskanen re-signed
-We would have gone hard after Kesler, made low ball offers involving Sutter, and we wouldn't have gotten him
-Ehrhoff wouldn't be a Penguin

These accurate?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Squabbling and panic.

Torch the CEC, Adams, Fleury, Scuderi and Dupuis for starters. Different jerseys, and Setoguchi because of multiple fake accounts. Get. Top. 6. Wingers.

Bylsma would have been fired so long ago and the same goes for Fleury.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

-We would have paid anything to get Kulemin here, and we would have not hesitated to sign Grabovski as well to get him here
-We would have gone hard after Kesler, made low ball offers involving Sutter, and we wouldn't have gotten him

These accurate?

I hope that's not accurate. I'd like to think we wouldn't make the team significantly worse :laugh:

The trading Letang and signing Niskanen idea makes me cringe. Having all that dead cap because of Scuderi and Adams wouldn't help, and we certainly wouldn't have been able to afford to spend 9.2M on Kulemin and Grabovski. Trading Neal for futures wouldn't have improved the team in anyway.

If that's what we would have done, it's a damn good thing we aren't running the team.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm calling head coach. I'm going to pick assistants.... and they are people who frequently oppose me. I believe the staff should be built w/ a little bit of push/pull/respect.

Therefore..... TenderRip, Jaded, and Jiggy are my assistants. Sorry to a lot of you. You will be on my staff but behind the scenes. ;) :laugh:

penguins2946*

Squabbling and panic.

Torch the CEC, Adams, Fleury, Scuderi and Dupuis for starters. Different jerseys, and Setoguchi because of multiple fake accounts. Get. Top. 6. Wingers.

Bylsma would have been fired so long ago and the same goes for Fleury.

That's a good one, and Chris Stewart would be a Penguin right now as well.

I hope that's not accurate. I'd like to think we wouldn't make the team significantly worse :laugh:

The trading Letang and signing Niskanen idea makes me cringe.

I was posting stuff that was a popular idea at one point. That Letang one was a popular one. Insanely stupid, yes, but it was extremely popular.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Fleury wouldn't be here, Martin wouldn't be here, Malkin may or may not be here.

It would be interesting, that's for sure.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
We'd be Sid and Geno surrounded by 20 year old prospects and 3rd line tweeners, and all prospects on D. We'd have a crap goalie and no worthwhile assets to get a replacement with.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think you could do fairly well with polling for some of the moves. Buyouts/trading Adams/Scuds for pucks. But a move like moving Neal for Horns/Spaling to change the identity etc. would be a lot tougher to think up and to pull off.

Btw, i would've traded Letang AND NOT signed Niskanen.:nod:
And still got Erhoff.:yo:

Drafting would be better for sure though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm calling head coach. I'm going to pick assistants.... and they are people who frequently oppose me. I believe the staff should be built w/ a little bit of push/pull/respect.

Therefore..... TenderRip, Jaded, and Jiggy are my assistants. Sorry to a lot of you. You will be on my staff but behind the scenes. ;) :laugh:

I will be in charge of the ice girl eating mascot.

1296151109_tennessee-titans-mascot-eats-cheerleader.gif

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Some good would (have) come of it. Glass, Adams, Scuderi and Bylsma would have been gone long ago. Fairly certain we would have moved some d-men for a winger. We'd probably have plenty of youth, but probably too much.

I personally wouldn't have traded Neal. I hope it works out. I think JR has done a great job so far though, and I think once we finally see another top sizer on the roster that we'll see a more complete and competitive team in the playoffs. HF would be icing the youngest roster of all time.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think you could do fairly well with polling for some of the moves. Buyouts/trading Adams/Scuds for pucks. But a move like moving Neal for Horns/Spaling to change the identity etc. would be a lot tougher to think up and to pull off.

Btw, i would've traded Letang AND NOT signed Niskanen.:nod:
And still got Erhoff.:yo:

Drafting would be better for sure though.

Moe balanced certainly. But I doubt better. As a matter of fact I know not better.

A bunch of yahoos on a message board whose knowledge of the draft is for 99% of them (me included) formed by rankings that they read a week or two before the draft are not going to do better than probably even the worst drafting team in the league. And for all of Shero's faults, and he did have them, the poor drafting rep is undeserved. For where the Pens drafted almost every year he ran them he did spectacularly well in obtaining talent at the top of the draft, and given the low probabilities of hitting on draft picks after the first round (12% is the average) he didn't do nearly as badly as people here always say.

Shero's faults were far more in other areas, including sticking with Bylsma, his obsession with defense, and signing a couple of unfortunate contracts at the end.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
With no professional or personal contact with the players and staff, and without the fear of being fired, decisions here can be carried out with no hesitation. Combining that with the amount of plain data available, I think HF could manage a roster.

What that would look like, I don't know. Outside people would suddenly use HF and a simple vote may not result in moves with any foresight.

It's necessary that every other team is controlled in the same manner so that trade negotiations can take place at the rate you would want. However, in that case, the peer advantage for our team is suddenly nullified.

Jerseys will be better.

So, no more than five straight Stanley Cups.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
We'd be Sid and Geno surrounded by 20 year old prospects and 3rd line tweeners, and all prospects on D. We'd have a crap goalie and no worthwhile assets to get a replacement with.

I was with you until a crap goalie part.

Nah, we'd have the best goalie paring in the league, that we traded all our assets for and dedicated a huge portion of cap space..... But then we'd still be bounced out of the playoffs in the same fashion we have been.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Ill be president of hockey operations CP, mostly an honorary title... Except Ill make sure you get any and all on ice tools you need without rest. And I will hold public beatings of any who oppose us infront of the Mario statue. BUT I demand that Craig Adams be my butler.

Michael8771*

First order of business would be to upgrade our top six at wing.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

These accurate?

I remember it a little more favorably, around the time Shero got the boot:

-Scuderi, Adams, Dupuis and a 3rd round pick to the Sabres for a 7th round pick :D
-Let JJ and Nisky walk
-Top 6 would have been:
Kunitz-Crosby-Kesler
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
-Get Sutter to sign for as little as possible. Maybe 200k less than he'd gotten.
-Keep Joe V
-More speed and nastiness in the bottom 6 (a guy like Downie would likely have been signed)
-Give Megna and Sill shots as well
-Keep Letang (we were 50/50 on that one, I think the heart defect and him losing some value tipped the scales though)
-Buy out Fleury (compliance buyout!), bring in Halak, save 600k cap space and upgrade in net
-With that roster we probably still have cap space for Ehrhoff, could be wrong though I am too lazy to check :D

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Lots of knee jerk reactions. Generally, it wouldn't be good but it depends on who gets to make the decisions haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad