Speculation: What would be needed to move Clarkson?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
i feel like Clarkson would be best with linemates who are big and like to dump and chase and play the cycle game.

we don't really have those type of players other than Clarkson.

i think Bolland would have been that type of player.

but if we keep trying to use Clarkson as a skill guy with players like Kadri, I don't think we'll be very successful.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's not getting moved.

Realistically, he's going to play 3-4 years more of mediocre hockey and then they'll buy out the rest of his contract.

He will get a little better though, he's definitely not a 15 point guy, been plagued with injuries, suspensions, pressure etc. this whole year, I expect a 30-40 point effort next year, which while definitely isnt 5.2m worthy, it's better than what he is now.

Yep. When his contract is preventing us from taking a run at a Stamkos or Tavares or some big time free agent they'll take the contract behind the woodshed...

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
So many Clarkson haters, give me a break..

It's been one season, this guy wanted to be here and sure he hasn't lived up to his contract yet(or might never fully live up to it) but don't run the guy out of town.

Simple as this, Clarkson is playing some good hockey now and there is NO reason to use him as a whipping boy.

Mark my words and quote me all you want, this guy is going to show up in a big way if the leafs were to make the playoffs.

Honestly, I feel there are more Clarkson apologists than haters and he definitely seems to escape the type of wrath a guy in this market should get considering his price tag vs his on ice contribution... You seriously feel like he's playing good hockey right now? I don't know man, goals and points aside, the guy's a non-factor. You could replace him with anyone of the other forwards that have had looks with the big club this year and it wouldn't change much. But the truth is we're stuck with him so let's hope that all this "wait for the playoffs" crap pans out.

samyy

Apr 14, 2009
If Clarkson wasn't a hometown guy/ was European he'd have been chased out of town 20 games ago.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think if we retained 40% of his salary, we'd be able to deal him for nothing. This means we'd pay $2.1 mil per year for the next 6 years (for nothing), and the acquiring team would be paying him $3.15 mil per year, for 6 years. That's still a decently large contract for Clarkson for the acquiring team, but a team like Edmonton that really needs some hustle/toughness might bite.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
i feel like Clarkson would be best with linemates who are big and like to dump and chase and play the cycle game.

we don't really have those type of players other than Clarkson.

i think Bolland would have been that type of player.

but if we keep trying to use Clarkson as a skill guy with players like Kadri, I don't think we'll be very successful.
Pretty sure Clarkson has had all of his best seasons when playing predominantly with Elias? Elias is a skill player.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Honestly, I feel there are more Clarkson apologists than haters and he definitely seems to escape the type of wrath a guy in this market should get considering his price tag vs his on ice contribution... You seriously feel like he's playing good hockey right now? I don't know man, goals and points aside, the guy's a non-factor. You could replace him with anyone of the other forwards that have had looks with the big club this year and it wouldn't change much. But the truth is we're stuck with him so let's hope that all this "wait for the playoffs" crap pans out.

He's in the first year honeymoon phase. It's embarrassing how many detractors he has already earned. If he plays like this next season, the noise will start getting too loud for Carlyle and Nonis to keep pretending that he has earned a roster spot.

He has not outplayed a single forward on this team other than McLaren and Orr.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Pretty sure Clarkson has had all of his best seasons when playing predominantly with Elias? Elias is a skill player.

yup thats the issue, Elias is a veteran and a way superior passer and cycler to Kadri.. Kadri can put up similar points but Elias is a much better and smarter passer of the puck. Clarksons not getting enough offensive chances, and the ones he is getting hes getting some bad luck. He will score 25 again.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
yup thats the issue, Elias is a veteran and a way superior passer and cycler to Kadri.. Kadri can put up similar points but Elias is a much better and smarter passer of the puck. Clarksons not getting enough offensive chances, and the ones he is getting hes getting some bad luck. He will score 25 again.
Elias is a better player than Clarkson, but the main reason Clarkson isn't producing is that he's just not very talented. His top scoring season ever he put up 46 points, and his 2nd best season is 32 points. For his career, he's averaged 31 pts/82 games. Yeah, his 10 points in 46 games this year sucks, but his 24 points in 48 games last year isn't all that crazy either. He's having a bad season, but he's just not an offensively talented player. He has 3rd line level talent, and if he needs to play with a player like Elias AND get tonnes of PP time to have success, that's a situation he's simply not going to get on the vast majority of teams.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's kinda ****ed.

Clarkson comes home to his hometown team and doesn't give us a hometown discount. Ok, that's his perogative, but I'm sure he actually wanted to do well and help the team.

And he's just not, in anyway really. Sure, he's rich, but I'm sure he feels like crap about how it hasn't worked out thus far.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It's kinda ****ed.

Clarkson comes home to his hometown team and doesn't give us a hometown discount. Ok, that's his perogative, but I'm sure he actually wanted to do well and help the team.

And he's just not, in anyway really. Sure, he's rich, but I'm sure he feels like crap about how it hasn't worked out thus far.
Really, in any job, when you push for maximum salary and role/responsibility, there's going to be a lot more pressure to perform at a very high level, and far more criticism and less job security if your performance is mediocre or poor. This is just as true in a traditional business environment as it is in hockey.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
clarkson provides hustle, energy, grit and toughness, hes got size and strength as well, and net presence...he will never be the reason why we wont win the cup...cus those things he provides is lacking from our top forwards

we lose becus of defense, our top fowards dont play great defense...kessel is a elite sniper and offensive player but hes soft and doesnt play strong D...jvr is a fast winger with size that can score but doesnt play strong D...lupul is near same as jvr...kadri plays tough has great play making and can score but doesn't play good D...raymond is similar to kadri minus the toughness

we have 3 good defensive forwards on our team, bozy kulemin and mcclement...thats it...u cant win it all with 3 good defensive forwards

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
It's kinda ****ed.

I'm sure he feels soooooo crappy making his millions of dollars.

I don't care about his feelings, he has sucked and he knows it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm sure he feels soooooo crappy making his millions of dollars.

I don't care about his feelings, he has sucked and he knows it.

right, this is a sports site, how silly of me.

i was just trying to look at it from his perspective, i don't want to see him get murphied out of town, i think doing that to a player is shameful in a way.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
Remember the trade that had Anaheim giving away Gardiner in order to move Lupul?

Or when Nashville gave away Franson to move Lombardi?

Yeah, something like that...but worse.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
He's not getting moved.

Realistically, he's going to play 3-4 years more of mediocre hockey and then they'll buy out the rest of his contract.

He will get a little better though, he's definitely not a 15 point guy, been plagued with injuries, suspensions, pressure etc. this whole year, I expect a 30-40 point effort next year, which while definitely isnt 5.2m worthy, it's better than what he is now.

I don't care how many excuses you have for him, there has to be at least a glimmer of hope shown from him. He has literally had MAYBE TWO games where he wasn't god awful.

I don't know that he can adjust to our teams speed or the pressure that the market and his contract have brought on. Its not like the people doubting him are going to go anywhere, every season until he is gone or he plays better people will be trashing on him, rightfully so. I think he can improve from what he has done but I really don't think in the regular season he is going to be able to be a standout on our team.

In the playoffs he has a chance to show up, be a dog on raw meat and make fans like me accept him for the mediocre player he is as long as he is one of the toughest SOBs in the league come playoffs that is willing to block a shot with his teeth if thats what it takes to win. Anything short of that in the post season and I will be at his door with a pitchfork.

That contract makes me vomit.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
What would be needed? Playing 3-4 years of his contract for starters.

He's not going anywhere for now. Get used to it.

Get used to hearing, reading people *****ing. There is no reason anyone should get in trouble for *****ing about someone playing as bad as he is. Literally I could have the same impact for the team as he has the difference is I wouldn't fall down on my own out there.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Get used to hearing, reading people *****ing. There is no reason anyone should get in trouble for *****ing about someone playing as bad as he is. Literally I could have the same impact for the team as he has the difference is I wouldn't fall down on my own out there.
Hahaha, sure. It's not like you're being ridiculously over dramatic or anything.

Go ahead and ***** all you want. He'll likely settle in next year when suspensions and injuries don't get in the way. Learning his role on the team and playing to his skill set is also something he needs to work on.

Point is he won't be traded anytime soon. Nonis wouldn't do that to the player he just signed without giving him proper time to fit in on the team.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Saul Goodman is right. Clarkson's going nowhere, at least for 3-4 years.

Moan if you must, but it won't mean anything. Besides, he could still have a huge playoffs for us like he's done with Jersey, or "get it back" next season.

Sheesh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad