Line Combos: What will the Leafs powerplay units look like?

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I've been thinking about this, with the abundance of high end forwards we have how will Babcock deploy the powerplay units? Last season he spread out the talent, running Marner and JVR on the "first" unit and Matthews/Nylander on the "second". With JVR out and Tavares in, is it as simple as replacing JVR with Tavares? And which unit goes out first? Should we stack the first unit like this:

Matthews Tavares Nylander
Rielly Marner

Tavares or Matthews does the "JVR job" and hovers around the net. Pretty scary looking PP if you ask me. Kadri could replace Nylander too maybe, since he's scored a ton of PP goals last 2 years.

A 2nd unit that gets like 40ish seconds of PP time could be:

Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Gardiner Johnsson

Or do you want to split the units it to look something like:

Kadri Tavares Johnsson
Rielly Marner

Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Gardiner Nylander

What do you guys think?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I've been thinking about this, with the abundance of high end forwards we have how will Babcock deploy the powerplay units? Last season he spread out the talent, running Marner and JVR on the "first" unit and Matthews/Nylander on the "second". With JVR out and Tavares in, is it as simple as replacing JVR with Tavares? And which unit goes out first? Should we stack the first unit like this:

Matthews Tavares Nylander
Rielly Marner

Tavares or Matthews does the "JVR job" and hovers around the net. Pretty scary looking PP if you ask me. Kadri could replace Nylander too maybe, since he's scored a ton of PP goals last 2 years.

A 2nd unit that gets like 40ish seconds of PP time could be:

Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Gardiner Johnsson

Or do you want to split the units it to look something like:

Kadri Tavares Johnsson
Rielly Marner

Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Gardiner Nylander

What do you guys think?
I think Babcock will spread it out somewhat similar to your second linemates.

Brown will play over kap, could see:

Kadri Tavares Brown
Rielly Marner

Marleau Matthews Johnsson
Gardiner Nylander

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner left of the Net

Random player in front of the net - Johnsson/Hyman?

Matthews left face off circle Tavares right face off circle

Rielly point

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I would like to try a stacked #1 unit, but I think Babcock implied that Tavares plays the same spot as JVR on the PP (so will replace him,) and the Matthews/Nylander unit would continue. Not sure who he would replace Bozak with, but as Bozak had a smaller role, maybe Marleau or something. They would want to tweak Matthews/Nylander unit anyway (at least there's no more Komarov).

If this ends up being the case, we will have the usual mouth-breathing regarding Babcock, but there is something to be said for being able to put out top notch players for the full two minutes, and always having a rested unit ready to start things off. It was certainly an effective strategy last year.

And of course, both units got roughly equal minutes two years ago, the Marner unit only got more ice time last year because they were achieving better results.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
marleau tavares kadri

rielly marner

johnsson matthews kapanen

gardiner nylander

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Most highly talented teams load up a single unit, and play them like 1:30 of every PP. We should at least give it a shot.

I’d love to see us give Matthews/Tavares/Nylander/Rielly/Marner a legit run together, enough time to see if they can develop chemistry. That unit has a chance to be similar to Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Hornqvist/Letang. If a loaded up Leafs PP is awesome, the 2nd unit still has enough talent to be passable for the remaining ~30 seconds per PP.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner left of the Net

Random player in front of the net - Johnsson/Hyman?

Matthews left face off circle Tavares right face off circle

Rielly point
They'll never move Marner off the Right half wall. That's his spot where he operates from and causes the most damage from. Its where he's been for 2 years with the Leafs, and he operated from there/point in London. The PP will be run through and set-up to optimize Marner.

Most likely, they'll run either one of these two set-ups. If they go for a stacked top unit.

These aspects won't change. Tavares at the net to the right-side screening and going for loose pucks. Marner on the right half wall. Nylander on the Left half wall (he has a solid one time and can do similar things as Marner from that side). Matthews in the center of the ice, similar to where Bozak resided to either crash to net, or feed a shot to and a defender, most likely Rielly patroling the blue line. Or, they'll move Matthews to the Left half-wall, and move Kadri into the center crashing role.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They'll never move Marner off the Right half wall. That's his spot where he operates from and causes the most damage from. Its where he's been for 2 years with the Leafs, and he operated from there/point in London. The PP will be run through and set-up to optimize Marner.

Most likely, they'll run either one of these two set-ups. If they go for a stacked top unit.

These aspects won't change. Tavares at the net to the right-side screening and going for loose pucks. Marner on the right half wall. Nylander on the Left half wall (he has a solid one time and can do similar things as Marner from that side). Matthews in the center of the ice, similar to where Bozak resided to either crash to net, or feed a shot to and a defender, most likely Rielly patroling the blue line. Or, they'll move Matthews to the Left half-wall, and move Kadri into the center crashing role.

Just seemed like a lot of highlights featured Tavares at the right face off to shoot. Matthews set up a lot at the left circle on cross ice passes from Nylander.

I figured if Marner was down low he could hit them for one timers. Hyman could just park in front of the net.

Hyman on the PP will set HF on fire. :laugh:

JVR is gone, need a guy who is capable of parking himself there and just being a pain in the ass. I think Hyman can be that.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just seemed like a lot of highlights featured Tavares at the right face off to shoot. Matthews set up a lot at the left circle on cross ice passes from Nylander.

I figured if Marner was down low he could hit them for one timers. Hyman could just park in front of the net.

JVR is gone, need a guy who is capable of parking himself there and just being a pain in the ass. I think Hyman can be that.
I can't see them moving Marner off his spot, which has been the right half wall. He's the guy who will run the Leafs powerplay. He operates similar to Giroux and Gaudreau who are fixtures on their respective teams left-half wall, but they are left-handed shots. Powerplays are also fluid, so guys will shift depending on puck locations and who has it. Marner loves playing between the center of the blue-line and the right hashmark of the right circle. When Marner is on the blue-line Tavares can shift to the right half wall, Rielly slides of to the top of the left circle, and Matthews tucks in towards the net. JT is elite (and so is Matthews) at tipping and cleaning up loose pucks around the net. Kadri also excels at this, but not to the level as the other two. Plus, onetimes aren't a particular strength of anyone we have. So, you probably want Marner setting up tip plays or clinical passes to someone driving the net.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't see them moving Marner off his spot, which has been the right half wall. He's the guy who will run the Leafs powerplay. He operates similar to Giroux and Gaudreau who are fixtures on their respective teams left-half wall, but they are left-handed shots. Powerplays are also fluid, so guys will shift depending on puck locations and who has it. Marner loves playing between the center of the blue-line and the right hashmark of the right circle. When Marner is on the blue-line Tavares can shift to the right half wall, Rielly slides of to the top of the left circle, and Matthews tucks in towards the net. JT is elite (and so is Matthews) at tipping and cleaning up loose pucks around the net. Kadri also excels at this, but not to the level as the other two. Plus, onetimes aren't a particular strength of anyone we have. So, you probably want Marner setting up tip plays or clinical passes to someone driving the net.

Yeah, it is just crazy how many options/weapons we have now.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Think I'd leave Kadri on the #1 unit he's lethal up there. Led all Leafs with 12 goals on the PP last year. He's found a nice spot on the right side popping in goals like Tucker.

Personally I'd go with

Tavares Matthews Kadri
Rielly Marner

as the #1 unit

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If we do opt to run a true first unit, I'd use Tavares and Matthews in the slot. Use moving screens instead of a stationary one, with Tavares having the same position as Crosby usually has. Then you have Marner running the thing on the right halfboards, and Nylander on the other side. Rielly on point.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Think I'd leave Kadri on the #1 unit he's lethal up there. Led all Leafs with 12 goals on the PP last year. He's found a nice spot on the right side popping in goals like Tucker.

Personally I'd go with

Tavares Matthews Kadri
Rielly Marner

as the #1 unit
I believe that will be the top unit as well. Kadri is very effective in the middle and crashing the net for rebounds and this keeps JT Down low on left side with Mathews higher out. The Leafs play an umbrella spread pp and the top of the umbrella is Rielly with Mathews to his left and Marner to his right with Kadri high and JT low with it moves from an umbrella spread to umbrella stacked.

This unit will play most of the Power play with a little variation when trend players are on the ice to start the PP.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Its like ppl are new to Babcock:

Johnsson Tavares Kadri
Rielly Marner

(Johnsson and Tavares replace Bozak and JVR)

Marleau Matthews Brown
Gardiner Nylander

Johnsson-Kadri and Tavares-Marner lines on pp1; Matthews line on pp2

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Giroux is right handed but I know what you mean.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
f*** it be trend setters

Matthews - Tavares - Nylander
Kadri - Marner

DO IT

To add to this, the Leafs will dress 11 forwards and 7 defensemen most night. PK will be realigned to look like this
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.11.23 AM.png

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthews wants more minutes. What better way than to play him on the #1 PP unit. I like WTFMAN's idea to have Hyman battling in front of the net but not sure Babs does, although Babs did use stone hands Leo at times.

#34 #11 #91
#44 #16/29

#12 #43 #28/24
#51 #29/16

So many weapons and options.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I think with the loss of a PP performer like JVR and a gain of a PP performer of a different dynamic then Tavares, you may just change the landscape and system completely

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I suspect it will be Tavares + Marner + Kadri on one unit with Rielly/Gardiner & the other unit will have the Matthews line with Nylander and Marleau with Gardiner/Rielly.

Who will be the 4th forward Brown, Johnsson, Leivo, Kappy or Ennis even on each unit is the only real decision.

Reactions: Leafling

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
With the addition of players like Tavares and Johnsson, I'm not as steadfast on loading up a unit as I once was. We can effectively put together two #1 units if we try to, which means that we'll be a threat for the full two minutes. My biggest qualm with our units last year was that we had guys like Komarov on the PP with Matthews/Nylander; now that we have the personnel to fill two full units with players who actually belong there, I don't think this should be as much of an issue

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad