Line Combos: What will the Leafs powerplay units look like?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
With the addition of players like Tavares and Johnsson, I'm not as steadfast on loading up a unit as I once was. We can effectively put together two #1 units if we try to, which means that we'll be a threat for the full two minutes. My biggest qualm with our units last year was that we had guys like Komarov on the PP with Matthews/Nylander; now that we have the personnel to fill two full units with players who actually belong there, I don't think this should be as much of an issue
Are we really that much better off though? JvR was one of the best PP players in the league last season, that's who Tavares will replace. And Bozak has always been a solid PP piece, how much of an upgrade will Johnsson really be there?

Our second unit will still look similar in that case, with Marleau and Brown in there along Matthews and Willy. And that didn't work out well for us last season.

Perhaps they'll use Tavares on the Matthews unit, giving it a much needed extra dynamic. Bozak had a small role on that top unit, so the main they need is to replicate the options that JvR allowed them. Marleau perhaps? It wouldn't be as lethal, but it could perhaps fill the same function.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Assuming Leivo starts the year playing.

PP1
Tavares
Kadri
Johnsson-Rielly-Marner

PP2
Marleau/Leivo
Leivo/Marleau
Matthews-Gardiner-Nylander

Each PP consists of a combination of 2 lines put together, so you put out whichever PP isn't tired to start.

This leaves the PK as
Brown-Hyman
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Lindholm-Kap
Dermott-Ozhiganov

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Lol, we can just run our normal top two lines and replace a D with somebody from the 3rd line.

Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson
Reilly

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kadri
Gardiner

If Leivo makes the team (and plays lol) he'd likely take Hyman's spot on the second unit as Kappy, Hyman, and Brown PK

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Its like ppl are new to Babcock:

Johnsson Tavares Kadri
Rielly Marner

(Johnsson and Tavares replace Bozak and JVR)

Marleau Matthews Brown
Gardiner Nylander

Johnsson-Kadri and Tavares-Marner lines on pp1; Matthews line on pp2

That is precisely what I think happen with the pp units; except if Leivo is in the line up then he plays on pp above Brownie

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
That is precisely what I think happen with the pp units; except if Leivo is in the line up then he plays on pp above Brownie
Is Babcock still coach. I think you answered your own question about if Leivo is in the line up...lol.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Its like ppl are new to Babcock:

Johnsson Tavares Kadri
Rielly Marner

(Johnsson and Tavares replace Bozak and JVR)

Marleau Matthews Brown
Gardiner Nylander

That is probably what he will do......
.but if Matthews played the left wall replacing Bozak, he would be able to come off that side with his deadly wristshot...and he probably would have room because Marner is such a threat on the other side.
The pp will always go thru Marner.......but sooner or later teams will focus on his side and Matthews would counter that...

The second unit would have Tavares, Nylander,Gardiner and Johnsson.....
I don't like Marleau on the pp because he can't handle the puck well...although he could just go to the front of the net..
I suppose Brown could be there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tavares
Marleau -Kadri
Gardiner - Marner

Matthews
Johnsson - Nylander
Reilly - Zaitsev

I can predict that first unit is not very likely because you're using players from 3 lines and that wouldn't allow for a complete line other than the 4th to be used post PP.

Marleau and Johnsson would have to be flipped at minimum.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thought I'd point this out since there is a debate on Tavares role on the PP. During the interview with Babcock on July 1st, he states that Tavares said to them that his ideal position of the power-play is the JVR role. Here is the interview.

The powerplay might be a bit more dynamic with more movement now, but it sounds like Tavares to the slight right of the goalie screening is his ideal role. If we go to a stacked 1PP, it means we can easily play him with both Marner and Matthews.

Reactions: The_Chosen_One

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I suspect it will be Tavares + Marner + Kadri on one unit with Rielly/Gardiner & the other unit will have the Matthews line with Nylander and Marleau with Gardiner/Rielly.

Who will be the 4th forward Brown, Johnsson, Leivo, Kappy or Ennis even on each unit is the only real decision.

That's how I see it as well. Would love to load up the PP but I mean when you have so many weapons 2 strong units isn't a bad idea. Marner's unit was one of the best in the NHL and it feature Bozak who barely did anything. Any of the names you mentiosme can be Bozak on the PP.

The 2nd unit is interesting though. Do Matthews and Nylander stay on the walls? It spreads out the ice but Matthews in the slot sounds scary as well. Maybe Marleau is the best option for the slot as I don't think I want him down low at his age.

Regardless we're going to have 2 scary PP units.

Mar 26, 2010
Toronto's PP has got to be lethal. Way too much firepower.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Thought I'd point this out since there is a debate on Tavares role on the PP. During the interview with Babcock on July 1st, he states that Tavares said to them that his ideal position of the power-play is the JVR role. Here is the interview.

The powerplay might be a bit more dynamic with more movement now, but it sounds like Tavares to the slight right of the goalie screening is his ideal role. If we go to a stacked 1PP, it means we can easily play him with both Marner and Matthews.

.................Rielly...................
Marner....Kadri....Matthews
...........Tavares.....................

Some serious potential there. Wonder what the 2nd unit would look like?

................Gardiner.................
Nylander....Marleau....Kapanen
.......Johnsson/Brown................

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs balance each PP unit to start with keeping Matthews/Nylander together. It's worked for them the last couple of years. Then again with Bozak and JVR gone, that whole dynamic changes. So who really knows.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
.................Rielly...................
Marner....Kadri....Matthews
...........Tavares.....................

Some serious potential there. Wonder what the 2nd unit would look like?

................Gardiner.................
Nylander....Marleau....Kapanen
.......Johnsson/Brown................

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs balance each PP unit to start with keeping Matthews/Nylander together. It's worked for them the last couple of years. Then again with Bozak and JVR gone, that whole dynamic changes. So who really knows.
I think Johnsson played in Kadri's spot when Kadri was suspended during the playoffs so I'd switch Johnsson with Marleau. Besides that, I think that's the most stacked first unit you can realistically set up. I think you're right though, just looking at the 2nd unit and they're not really that scary so maybe they have Nylander-Matthews reunited again. Or they might need to switch someone from the first unit to help that out.

Personally, I'm still not sure how well Kapanen does on the powerplay. His strength right now is abusing his skating, his shot and his ability to play on the boards. When you're set up on the powerplay you're only going to be taking advantage of his shot really right? Plus I'm sure Babcock has Kap as a big PK contributor this season, if he evens out the minutes he might limit the PP time he gets. If Leivo gets the 4th line duties, I'm almost certain that Babcock will use him on the powerplay.

What about bumping Kadri down to the 2nd unit?

Tavares
Matthews-Johnsson-Marner
Rielly

Marleau
Leivo-Kadri-Nylander
Gardiner

That looks a little more spread out and more dangerous to me.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Honestly, they just stack the lines up. BUT I wouldn't put Marner on the stacked PP because
1) Marner's contract is due and we know he'll raise his value with PP points. We have Nylander who's really good at the PP setup too (1st year he was amazing).
2) Marner can run the 2nd PP really well, let him carry the show there (mainly because of the reason above^)

------------- Tavares/Kadri ---------- (Tavares or Kadri becomes the JVR guy)
Matthews - Kadri/Tavares - Nylander (Regular setup, or put Tavares in the slot)
------------- Rielly ----------

-------------- Marleau ------------
Kapanen - Johnsson - Marner
-------------- Gardiner -----------

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This is what I'd do.

Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Leivo or Kapanen/Rielly on the top PP.

Matthews plays the same spot he does on the 2nd PP
Marner keeps his right side
Tavares plays where JVR used to
Leivo or Kapanen plays in the middle where Scheifele plays for Winnipeg, can set off one-timers thanks to Marner being a right shot.

Kadri-Marleau-Nylander-Johnsson-Gardiner on the 2nd PP

Let this PP going completely through Nylander, similar to that of Marner on the top PP.

Matthews on the 2nd PP is a HUGE waste IMO, Nylander is more than capable of running it on his own.

Load up the top PP

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
PP1
Tavares
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner
Gardiner

PP2
Grundstrom
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Rielly

I think that Babcock will have Ennis on the fourth line on opening night and Grundstrom will start the season with the Marlies, so I would swap the two and everything else would be as you suggest.
This leaves the PK pairings of Lindholm/Brown and Hyman/Kapanen.
This gives all 12 forwards a secondary role on either the PP or PK to help spread the ice time around and keep everyone fresh.

Babcock has said that the top two lines would likely be MARLEAU/MATTHEWS/NYLANDER and HYMAN/TAVARES/MARNER so I don't think you want to load up a top unit because the chances are good that one of these lines was on the ice when they drew the penalty and could be too tired to start the PP. Just bring out the opposite unit (along with their fourth forward) to start the PP and it makes managing the bench easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaric1862

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If he plans to play Marleau-Matthews-Nylander at 5v5, id assume he will balance his units and keep them together on the PP again. As stated above, it keeps line combos more fresh if that were to be the line that drew the penalty after a long shift.
Im thinking it'll be something like:

Tavares
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner
Rielly
----------
Marleau
Matthews-Brown-Nylander
Gardiner

After the powerplay Babs always has a fixed line so then he can roll out:
Hyman-Lindholm-Kapanen

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Stack one up and play them 1:45 out of 2minutes. Kadri and the boys are coming over the boards for the next shift anyways, so there’s no concerns with the ice time.

Nylander on the left circle, Matthews in the slot, Tavares down low in the JVR spot, Marner on the right circle, Rielly on the blue line. Marner and Nylander rotate up to the blue line and down to the wall and give us a PP QB on each side. Down low to Tavares, the best release in the league in the slot, or an elite puck mover across the seam, every single moment whoever has the puck has 4 options.

Screw the 2nd unit, the first one would go 30%. :)

Reactions: JayDog17

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Problem of seperating Matthews and Tavares is the fact following here: The first unit that starts always gets the MOST PP time. They often play over a minute straight if the play is allowed to stay on the zone. Very often. Even if the opposite team clears, the same dirt unit stays and tries real hard. So the other one who plays on the second unit (tavares or matthews) if it happens would not be the happiest sucka in the world. Because of the limited icetime on the powerplay. But we got so many fools right now we finna get it real hard. Babcock will choose wisely.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Are we really that much better off though? JvR was one of the best PP players in the league last season, that's who Tavares will replace. And Bozak has always been a solid PP piece, how much of an upgrade will Johnsson really be there?

Tavares got 30 points on the PP this year. JvR got 20. Sure JvR was one of the best. Clearly Tavares is far better. Johnson picked up 18 PP points during the Marlies regular season and 6 more in the Calder Cup playoffs. I think the JvR and Bozak replacements will do just fine.

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
This is what:

LEAFS' #1 PP UNIT should look like ----

(Starting by player importance)

1) Marner
----> Playing on the Right-Wall. Capable of setting up all 5 of his teammates at any given time.

2) Rielly -----> Rielly will co-quarterback this PP unit from the Left side of the point. If we stack our #1 PP-Unit. Rielly will be the player open every single time due to the insane skill of the other players. Thus, I believe he will be the key-cog.

3) Matthews ----->Left slot / left-wall. Matthews will be given so many oppourtinities if the leafs completely stack the #1 PP-Unit. He will likely have a 'Grade-A' Opportunity EVERY-SINGLE PP if the leafs use these players.

4) Tavares -----> Behind the net / Near the net. Tavares will be given an oppurtunity to set-up plays behind the net once the opponents focus their attention on one of Matthews/Marner/Nylander. In this scenario, he will be used on the powerplay, similar to how Crosby is used on the Pens' powerplay.

5) Johnsson -----> Johnsson will be used as a front-of-the-net presence. Similar to how Hornquvist is used on the Pens' powerplay.

He will be given the oppurtunity to cash in empty net goals ..... Most of the focus will be implemented on Matthews/Tavares/Marner .... He will get the weakest player on him, if he plays his cards right (which I think he will), he will have the most PP goals on the leafs.

Keep in mind, Johnsson just tore-apart the AHL-Playoffs. He seemed like a brand-new player after his playoffs experience. He can be our Tyler Johnsson or Kucherov or Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad