what will the leafs powerplay look like next season?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Would be nice to see someone develop a one timer and/or pick up a guy with a one timer. With the way the Matthews unit can get the puck across from half board to half board, a one timer would be deadly.

Kapanen and Johnsson both have good to great one timers. It's about Babcock and co actually realizing this and using it.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Matthews in JVR' spot, Nylander in Bozak's spot. Run for 3 MPG, forward depth and Gardiner get the scraps.
I'm torn between having Matthews keep his current spot but on the #1 unit so he can abuse his shot or having him replace JVR in front where he can abuse his world class hand eye coordination for tips and rebounds.

I think both options would be more than fine.

Might have posted this somewhere else but this is what I think it looks like with the players we have.

Hyman
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Leivo?
Marleau-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

Or they could try the Matthews in front idea.

Matthews
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Hyman
Leivo-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm torn between having Matthews keep his current spot but on the #1 unit so he can abuse his shot or having him replace JVR in front where he can abuse his world class hand eye coordination for tips and rebounds.

I think both options would be more than fine.

Might have posted this somewhere else but this is what I think it looks like with the players we have.

Hyman
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Leivo?
Marleau-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

Or they could try the Matthews in front idea.

Matthews
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Hyman
Leivo-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

I'm not picky, but I guarantee Babcock will insist on having both right and left shot among forwards for faceoffs.

ie. Kadri/Bozak Matthews/Nylander.

So, expect Nylander in Bozak's spot if he leaves and Matthews isn't going to be alone on PP2.

Alternatively, we acquire another RHS 3C -we should regardless of PP lineup- and keep rolling two units.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Matthews in JVR' spot, Nylander in Bozak's spot. Run for 3 MPG, forward depth and Gardiner get the scraps.

Probably don't want Matthews getting cross checked in front of the net for the next decade. Plus it eliminates the threat of his shot and reduces his effectiveness passing.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
What will the leafs powerplay look like next season?

Probably pretty much of the same crap, unless, new coaches are incoming.

Please, no more scrubs on the powerplay! Komarov as a penalty killer - fine, but, Komarov on the powerplay - unacceptable.

We have one of the best PPs in the league. Our coaches are doing great.

Although I'd really like to see Matthews and Marner on the PP together. I think he would be deadly sitting in the slot and letting Marner do his slide down the RW with the puck set up. Could legit see Matthews push a 50 goal pace with the PP scoring going up like that.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Kapanen and Johnsson both have good to great one timers. It's about Babcock and co actually realizing this and using it.
Neither Kappy nor Johnsson were replacing Matthews or Nylander on the half wall. The other unit was not to be tinkered with as it was the number 1 unit in the league.

Next year they get their chance to show what they can do.

Johnsson is a left shot, to use his one timer he would have to be on the non Marner unit. I can see Kappy on the side wall opposite of Marner.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’d expect to see Kadri-Marner, Matthews-Nylander on two different units.

Would really like to see Johnsson get a chance to get in there.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We have one of the best PPs in the league. Our coaches are doing great.

Although I'd really like to see Matthews and Marner on the PP together. I think he would be deadly sitting in the slot and letting Marner do his slide down the RW with the puck set up. Could legit see Matthews push a 50 goal pace with the PP scoring going up like that.
So, you were fine with the likes of Komarov on the powerplay? Okay. :facepalm:

And, our powerplay went COLD for long stretches at a time. Improved consistency, along with more appropriate player personnel selection on the two powerplay lines, would be much appreciated by this fan! ;)

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Matthews-Tavares-Marner-Nylander-Rielly.

if8uio.jpg

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not bad considering how good it was already! :laugh: I'll add different, in that there just might be someone on it that isn't currently Leaf property.
Our 2nd unit was not so good last year but in general we did well on the pp. That's why I'm going with better as I think the Matthews unit will start clicking again

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad