what will the leafs powerplay look like next season?

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Probably seperate Marner/Matthews still

I say 1a/b Matthews - Willy - Marleau - Johnsson - Gardiner
1a/b Mitch - Naz - Kappy - Brown - Rielly

Barring any unseen UFA signings that could change.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Probably seperate Marner/Matthews still

I say 1a/b Matthews - Willy - Marleau - Johnsson - Gardiner
1a/b Mitch - Naz - Kappy - Brown - Rielly

Barring any unseen UFA signings that could change.
The powerplay looks good. I would like to see leivo get some pp time as well. If he is a regular next season, I would split his and Marleau's time on the pp and split brown and hyman depending on who is making a better impact on the pp.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Would be interested in seeing the Leafs load up one of the PP units at least to start the season and see how that works.

The problem with that is assuming JVR isn't back, we lose that net front presence, so the PP becomes a lot more perimeter based.

But I think it's worth a shot to have MNM with Kadri and one of Rielly or Gardiner with them.

Second unit would be garbage though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't know but I look at the teams in the PO right now and we have a long way to go. I am anticipating a 2-3 year curve where we take a step back. The loss of those FA and purchase of yet another rental has at the least cost us the proceeds needed to get another top 4D here. We could of course get a UFA but they tend to cost and have long contracts.

The PP should always have been Marner Nylander Matthews+ for the most part.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not 100% convinced Bozak is gone yet because there is NOTHING to replace him

Could shift Nylander. Considering our wing depth it makes a lot of sense. It lets a bunch of guys climb up a line. A big ticket item like Taveres makes less sense to me than putting that money at RHD.

Too hard to guess the lines at this point.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Could shift Nylander. Considering our wing depth it makes a lot of sense. It lets a bunch of guys climb up a line. A big ticket item like Taveres makes less sense to me than putting that money at RHD.

No we saw Nylander at center we saw it, it failed

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I don't know but I look at the teams in the PO right now and we have a long way to go. I am anticipating a 2-3 year curve where we take a step back. The loss of those FA and purchase of yet another rental has at the least cost us the proceeds needed to get another top 4D here. We could of course get a UFA but they tend to cost and have long contracts.

The PP should always have been Marner Nylander Matthews+ for the most part.
Why? That Marner unit was the best unit in the league.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
i wouldn't say it failed, i just don't think william looked as great at center as some people on this board believe, but this is about the pp units and not about william nylander.

am i the only one who doesn't like marleau on the matthews-nylander unit?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Would be nice to see someone develop a one timer and/or pick up a guy with a one timer. With the way the Matthews unit can get the puck across from half board to half board, a one timer would be deadly.

Reactions: Dzonna

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Does Dermott or Zaits replace Jake on the PP if he gets moved?

It was Dermott briefly in the playoffs when Rielly went down, but that may have been due to the Zaits injury.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure that is accurate. He had some really good games and some invisible games. Small sample size.

You might want to give this a look. It analyses his time at C.

How Has William Nylander Fared at Centre?

I watch games, I saw it with my eyes, I saw him end up on Plekanec's wing because he couldn't cut it at center, I saw Marleau get moved to center because it didn't work

Reactions: White Shadow

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I watch games, I saw it with my eyes, I saw him end up on Plekanec's wing because he couldn't cut it at center, I saw Marleau get moved to center because it didn't work
He's too disengaged at this point in his career to be playing center in any meaningful games. I hope he develops that aspect soon.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You saw a guy with 20sh NHL games at C under his belt. You really think he has no room to grow?

Even if he could he can't be a center, our top 2 are set, unless something crazy happens like Tavares signing but otherwise our top 2 are set

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
What will the leafs powerplay look like next season?

Probably pretty much of the same crap, unless, new coaches are incoming.

Please, no more scrubs on the powerplay! Komarov as a penalty killer - fine, but, Komarov on the powerplay - unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad