What will next years roster look like?

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Hey guys, huge blue jackets fan here. I know with playoffs just around the corner theres lots to talk about but im curious what you guys think next years roster will look like? Im saying mid season. Please give reasons why under each line thanks.

Heres my take and i really dont know where some guys slot in.

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson

[This line has real potential, look at points recently will only get better as players mature. Such a young line]

Foligno-Stenlund-Anderson

[ after seeing strenlund dance and get a beauty assist this past game i feel like hes going to make a late season push like milano did this year. Guys got size which we need and in my opinion center depth is our weakness.] Imagine a power forward line with these three guys all who can take over a game at times? I like the idea really hope strenlund turns into what i hope. Plus gets figs off center]

Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek

[I really hope vanek and the team can get something done His veteran leadership has been what we were missing. Cant keep putting in young guys l. Our team needs some vet leadership. Numbers speak for themselves

Milano--Letestu-Bjorkstrand

I really like what i see out of sonny and bjork. They bring energy and skill they just in my opinion need a vet to guild them a bit more. Like vanek did with jenner and winny. Maybe testy is not that guy but torts trusts him and says hes a good leader.

Dubinsky - Calvert - Sedlak - Abramov
Hannikainen -Robinson -

[ the rest of these guys can plug in on that 4th line anytime. depends a lot on what front office does. would like to see Calvert stay for a few year deal. Guy always brings energy and scores here and there but who sits then? . Dub will have to show he deserves a spot i think he brings emotion but cap hit is big. Sedlak is a good filler for fourth line can play center or wing. Hannikainen is also good depth and still young.

Im really
Excited to see how abramov turns out. Needs more size but even in ahl he put up 4points in 4 games. Hes put up back to back huge years. Could be special and would slot in well on that 4th line. Robinson most likely will be ahl guy but hey i trust our scouts. Could be more.

Werenski-Jones
Murray-Nutivaara
Cole-Savard

I love our def all lines please guys find a way to keep cole

Inactive

Harrington, Kukan,

Bobrovsky
Korpisalo

So we roll 4 lines out like we are now. Let me know what u think? Bringing in a upgrade center would be great. i would be happy to trade Wennberg with ether Milano or Bjorkstrand if ether of them dont take the next step for a center who puts up 20+goals.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
All in all the playoffs will show us where we need help.

Is the lack of center depth going to hurt us? Is bob a playoff goalie ? Are the veterans we have what we need for a solid push. Duby, Testy, vanek, figs?

Im pumped ether way like the idea that we have so much depth. Gives us lots of flexibility for improvement!!!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I wouldn't even put Stenlund on the starting roster, he might break out at some point but I don't think it'll be right away. I could be wrong though. We'll get a better idea of what's going on with the Dubinsky situation in the off season. I think Sedlak comes back and secures the 4th line spot or maybe the 3rd.

Dubois
Wennberg
Sedlak
Letestu

I wouldn't rule out any trades to bring in some more depth for next season either.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I wouldn't even put Stenlund on the starting roster, he might break out at some point but I don't think it'll be right away.
giphy.gif

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Dubinsky will still be on the roster somewhere next year, no chance we’d buy him out already and take that cap hit. Maybe try that after the end of next season. I think Sedlak is a goner, he’s looked pretty bad this season. I’d include him as a throw in in a bigger trade, or take a low draft pick. Letestu is a 50/50 re-signing imo, depends on if he’ll take a hometown contract. Think we need to go shopping/trade for a legit 3C. Stenlund is nowhere near ready.

Center depth for 2018-2019 imo:

Dubois
Wennberg
Dubinsky/New Guy
Dubinsky/Letestu

Only rookie I think has a chance next year to get some time is Abramov, maybe Robinson. Calvert will probably walk.

Possible lines:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Foligno-New Guy/Dubinsky-Anderson
Milano-Letestu/Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand/Abramov/Robinson

That’s a lot of wingers, even with the potential exit of Calvert. Re-signing Vanek for a year would probably push Abramov to Cleveland for a year, which isn’t a bad thing.

If we could find a team mentally ill enough to trade for Foligno or Dubi, I’d be ecstatic.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I wouldn't even put Stenlund on the starting roster, he might break out at some point but I don't think it'll be right away. I could be wrong though. We'll get a better idea of what's going on with the Dubinsky situation in the off season. I think Sedlak comes back and secures the 4th line spot or maybe the 3rd.

Dubois
Wennberg
Sedlak
Letestu

I wouldn't rule out any trades to bring in some more depth for next season either.
I agree with most of your post, except that you have vastly overrated Sedlak. If he's our 3rd C, we have a problem. (Naturally my assessment means he'll be Wild Bill, Jr....but only if traded :sarcasm:) ....and don't construe my dismissal of Sedlak as an endorsement of Dubi as 3C.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Basically this exact same roster but subtract Chorney, Harrington, JJ, and maybe Vanek.

Reactions: Cowumbus

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I do not see any rational basis to conclude that this Stenlund guy is ready to play on an NHL playoff team next year (and yes, I am assuming we will be in the hunt again).

Heck, my centers for next year are: PLD, Foligno, Pooh (with Boone on his line winning face-offs) and Letestu. I think Foligno did well this year as a center.Won his share of face-offs, played good defense, chipped in 15 goals. That is fine by me. I am pretty sure that Letestu will accept a team friendly deal.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And by the way, I do not think Pooh is viable as a second line center unless he is teamed with Boone so that Boone can win the face-offs.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't see Stenlund on the roster let alone centering the 2nd line, at any time next season

The biggest unknown/unproven at the NHL level is Abramov, by mid-season He could be anywhere from playing with Panarin to playing on the Monsters 3rd line.
Extremely hard for me to judge NHL ability of guys in Juniors

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Appears I am in the minority when it comes to Wennberg. I think He's been outstanding the last 25-30 games. +26 is best on the team, and while the PP still isn't where it needs to be if they want to win playoff games, it has improved since He was moved to the net. I absolutely see him as a solid 2C, and expect him to be better next year.

Foligno has been good at Center, but he's better at wing imo

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Foligno is bad at center period!

This is what you were sayin about PLD. this summer.

Gawd I hope he is not on the CBJ next year. We do not need a drama queen scenario and that is what it will be with Torts riding him if he is not in condition. I hope at some point soon he begins to grow up. CBJ will need him eventually.

Who would you draft again PLd or Pulju?

Probably Clayton Keller

vogeezy said: He cost team Canada a gold..

etc etc etc

You all gonna eat crows about Stenlund, and me and spintheblackcircle are gonna serve them, cold! :D

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm at the point where I think both Jenner and Foligno are better options at center than Wennberg. Or Wennberg is a better option at wing than them.

However you want to look at it.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Wenny got off to a terrible start for sure, but 1 thing no one here will ever know is how bad of an issue his back was, or any other injury He may have been fighting.

Wennberg-Vanek-Jenner have been outstanding since the trade deadline; small sample size yea, but He's playing with as much confidence as ever right now. He's also stepped up where Dubinsky left an hole on the PK

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Probably Clayton Keller

etc etc etc

You all gonna eat crows about Stenlund, and me and spintheblackcircle are gonna serve them, cold! :D
He did cost Canada gold, missed an empty net, clear as day.

I hated the pick at the time because I thought he would be a winger and not able to play C because he had never done it before. Who knew he had it in him to learn it at the NHL level so quick.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Probably Clayton Keller

etc etc etc

I’d love to eat crow. But I think Stenlund at best is a middle 6 Center.

Reactions: Sore Loser

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I indicated that I hoped someone would communicate with PLD and get him to grow up. Someone did. I do not need to "eat crow" about anything I said.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And I am sure Stenlund will have a nice season next year..... in Cleveland.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is an interesting topic. Hard to give a really good answer now in the throes of a great stretch by the Jackets.
I think a lot depends on how the team performs from here on out. Other major factors will include the re-signings of Bob & Bread. If that gets done quickly we'll know more about the cap space (including next year's increase) that will be available for other moves. If that drags on then it will be a whole different ball (hockey) game.

My gut feel (maybe hope) is there is a trade or two to bolster the offense. I know the Jackets have been scoring a bunch lately but I have a nagging sense that the Jackets could use one more "guaranteed" 20-25 goal scorers.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Abramov has a better chance of making the club than Stenlund.

If you can sign Murray to a fair contract for 3 years.....would you rather keep him and trade Savard? I fear we may have seen the best of Savy, and with 3 yrs and almost $13 million left to pay him, I think the money saved there is needed more to pay Panarin/Bob/Boone's new deals. They can't afford a $4 million dollar a year 3rd pairing guy.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Dubinsky needs a chance. The owner has 5.85 million reasons why he should be given an opportunity next season to turn around his game. After all, the key to success is buy low, sell high. If the CBJ don't give him an opportunity to show more, they would be selling way too low. If that fails, then;
1. Make every attempt to move him, even if you must package some talent (backup goalie - Gabe Carlsson) to move him. Doing this will tell you what the trade market is for him. Which would lead to......
2. If step 1 doesn't yield results, then run him through waivers and send him to Cleveland. For the sake of cap management, they cannot buy him out with more than 2 years remaining. That handcuffs the team for 6 years of dead cap space. You can find a way to live with 4 years - not 6.
3. If that fails buyout his contact. Then lobby as hard as you can when the new agreement with the NHLPA comes up for re-negotiation to get a couple compliance buyouts like they did several years ago.

On another topic - if they do permit compliance buyouts, I believe they should be assets which can be traded. The teams and GM's that have done a good job of living with the cap and shedding bad contracts as they go should be rewarded for their hard work.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Abramov has a better chance of making the club than Stenlund.

If you can sign Murray to a fair contract for 3 years.....would you rather keep him and trade Savard? I fear we may have seen the best of Savy, and with 3 yrs and almost $13 million left to pay him, I think the money saved there is needed more to pay Panarin/Bob/Boone's new deals. They can't afford a $4 million dollar a year 3rd pairing guy.
How do you figure? The only way he's making the team is in a top 6 role similar to Atkinson or Bjorkstrand.

And look how many years it took both of them to get a full time spot.

Meanwhile 6'4 Stenlund could very easily be thrown into a bottom 6 role, center or wing and focus on adjusting to the game and making sure he plays a responsible 200ft game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad