Prediction Contest: What will Kyle Dubas' first "Moneyball" type move and who is untouchable?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Babcock banished Matt Martin to the pressbox less than 1.5 years into his contract.

The idea that hes demanding these bruisers in the lineup doesnt hold up to scrutiny (and im hardly a huge fan of Babs at this point....)
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying; there are more physical options that Babcock could be using but isn't, and thus Dubas isn't the only one who's "okay with a soft team". But people keep insisting that it's all Dubas because he won't "acquire any physical options". I mean, look at the post right above this one...

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
NHL is a Cap World and that’s what it is. I think contract aside, the top guys of the Leafs are struggling and essentially that’s the problem.
Yup bangers are chhhhhheap and the reason we can pay the top guys what we can. As you will see we will sell alot of players off. Not that the leafs have done well in the past at drafting we are on hot streak so the pipe lines full. Now the question that most are asking is let's trade a star for the sake of a trade because we are 10 games in and we didn't win the cup.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I agree that they both collaborate. I just know that if I were to bring up the options out of the blue, someone would try to claim it's Dubas and only Dubas pushing the physical options to the minors, and I wanted to head that off by pointing out that Babcock has a lot of say over his own lineup.

Fair enough. I'd guess that lack of NHL experience and not needing waivers would provide some of the reasons for why Korshkov, Marchment and Engvall aren't yet on the team. I'd hope that if/when they do make it, it's also for more than just simply providing a physical presence.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Really!!! How are you gonna feel when we just squeak into the playoffs and make a quick exit over the next 5 years. Or, better yet, don't make them at all. Dubas has destroyed this team by filling it up with self-entitled wimps.
I'm sure I'll whine and moan and be a bi-polar twat like much of Leaf Nation.

Oh wait, I am older, have lived some life, buried a spouse, been a grandparent, yadda yadda yadda.

Odds are I will just assign the appropriate perspective to a bunch of guys chasing a rubber disk around on ice.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tha
He outplayed Erik Karlsson tonight and scored the GWG. He’s not getting traded.
Thats not saying much. At times They both looked they were playing with the wrong handed stick. And that attempted hit at the line by Rielly? ....at least someone said that’s what it was...

He’s got lots of opportunity for improvement. .

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Muzzin+Barrie (2 rentals) for Manson (shutdown RHD at only 4 million) Barrie and Muzzin will get a combined 13-14 million. I'd value the cap space + signed shutdown RHD more. Then we use the Barrie+Muzzin+Ceci money on Alex Pitreangelo. Sandin and Lilly/Holl get the bottom pair role next year

Morgan Rielly - Josh Manson
Travis Dermott-Alex Pitreangelo

One of the best top 4's in the NHL, if Dermott is as good as I think he is

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Muzzin+Barrie (2 rentals) for Manson (shutdown RHD at only 4 million) Barrie and Muzzin will get a combined 13-14 million. I'd value the cap space + signed shutdown RHD more. Then we use the Barrie+Muzzin+Ceci money on Alex Pitreangelo. Sandin and Lilly/Holl get the bottom pair role next year

Morgan Rielly - Josh Manson
Travis Dermott-Alex Pitreangelo

One of the best top 4's in the NHL, if Dermott is as good as I think he is
Only one side of the story here.
What value is there for The Ducks?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's pretty ridiculous to suggest that a philosophy about finding ways of increasing pro team's return on investment in talent has nothing to do with the star players. Obviously it does.

Spend too much on the star players then you don't get value on your investment. Spend more on the star players, you get less to spend on other parts of the roster. Not every potential savvy acquisition is going to make $700K. That's a very limited pool of talent.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That Ottawa trade is shaping up to be pretty bad. Although, I'd prefer Ceci over Zaitsev, I don't prefer him enough to warrant trading a winger that could get 60 points this season.

As much as I like Kerfoot, he made the Colorado trade to target Barrie... which seems to be a questionable decision at this point too.

I don't mean to hate on Dubas, but its looking like he had a rough offseason.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Really!!! How are you gonna feel when we just squeak into the playoffs and make a quick exit over the next 5 years. Or, better yet, don't make them at all. Dubas has destroyed this team by filling it up with self-entitled wimps.
Got them lotto numbers for us as well?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
That Ottawa trade is shaping up to be pretty bad. Although, I'd prefer Ceci over Zaitsev, I don't prefer him enough to warrant trading a winger that could get 60 points this season.

As much as I like Kerfoot, he made the Colorado trade to target Barrie... which seems to be a questionable decision at this point too.

I don't mean to hate on Dubas, but its looking like he had a rough offseason.
On money/players out and cap requirements with the greedy lads...he did an amazing job! it's a tight squeeze,but he made it happen. next season will be new bridges to cross.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Are we really lamenting the loss of Brown?

Wish the guy the best, but hes just on a hot steak and theres no way he would be playing anywhere other than the 4th line with the Leafs

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel426

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
On money/players out and cap requirements with the greedy lads...he did an amazing job! it's a tight squeeze,but he made it happen. next season will be new bridges to cross.

I don't think dumping Connor Brown was a good money solving resolution.

Brown @ 2.1 >> Johnsson @ 3.5

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't think dumping Connor Brown was a good money solving resolution.

Brown @ 2.1 >> Johnsson @ 3.5
All the talk(you must of heard it) last season 'bout what are they gonna do. no way he gets oughta this mess...Hainsey is too old,Marleaus contract can't be moved,no one will take Zaitsev s contract...wont be able to sign the kids...just on and on ...relentless bullshyte about how effed the Leafs were. I'll say it again...What Dubas did was amazing...you don't have to agree with everything he did (I don't) but there i doubt anyone else could have done better. Let's see the full roster play a while at least before everyone loses their shyte!

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
All the talk(you must of heard it) last season 'bout what are they gonna do. no way he gets oughta this mess...Hainsey is too old,Marleaus contract can't be moved,no one will take Zaitsev s contract...wont be able to sign the kids...just on and on ...relentless bullshyte about how effed the Leafs were. I'll say it again...What Dubas did was amazing...you don't have to agree with everything he did (I don't) but there i doubt anyone else could have done better. Let's see the full roster play a while at least before everyone loses their shyte!

I think you mistook the intentions of my post. I am not bashing Dubas or questioning his role in our organization. I simply said he had two swings and two misses with the OTT and COL trades this past offseason.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Brown was always a useful player and good value at $2.1 million. Greed from our top guys cost us Brown and a chance at a non-bargain basement backup goalie.

Hate to say it, but that's the truth.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think you mistook the intentions of my post. I am not bashing Dubas or questioning his role in our organization. I simply said he had two swings and two misses with the OTT and COL trades this past offseason.
It's still early. I mean,I'm not liking what I've seen from Barrie,but Kerfoot has been better than advertised. Also,selling high on a player is the smart thing to do (Kadri) he will be getting a raise as well soon. The Ottawa deal was largely to accomodate a mutual dislike between the Leafs and Zaitsev...Hainsey was Ok ,but not great...Sure losing Connor sucked,but if the coach isn;t gonna use him properly,then no harm done. Let's not forget that these deals were all a part of a calculation to get the high priced talent signed. Right or wrong,it's all done now. A lot of games left to add opinion.I say they get better!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Are we really lamenting the loss of Brown?

Wish the guy the best, but hes just on a hot steak and theres no way he would be playing anywhere other than the 4th line with the Leafs

Brown is getting more ice time than Matthews lol.

Agreed, who cares if he gets 60 points. It's not like 3rd liners are bad hockey players, give them 21 mins a night on the top line, especially on a team where most of the minutes are garbage time, and they're going to put up a few points.

Reminds me of the 2015-16 Leafs where guys like Parentau and Komarov were offensive stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad