Friedman: What will happen with Bobrovsky?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Get's them there every year? They've missed 3 times with him in net. They didn't exactly waltz into any of those playoffs either.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
what the heck?.....that is way overpayment by columbus,

darling?....you serious?
You know they are also taking dubinskys massive atrocious contract off CBJs hands too right?
It's essentially coming down to a Bob for Skinner trade which is probably close especially considering Bob's large contract, lack of playoff success, and the fact goalies don't hold very much trade value

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This Chia were talking about Draisaitl is going to Columbus with a 2nd round pick.
I mean, it would hurt a little bit too much imo.

It's tempting but I think the Jackets can still get better from within. Wennberg, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Anderson and Milano all should have better seasons. Hopefully Foligno and Dubinsky can pick it up as well but I'm not overly optimistic about them. But Bob is key to giving this team a chance to even get to the playoffs.

Reactions: bs, Viqsi and Mork

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Don't they both need a first line centre?
Jarmo seems content with Dubois and Wennberg challenging each other.

Jarmo mentioned in his exit interview that Wennberg was playing through injuries this season and it definitely effected his performance. He felt %100 confident he'd rebound next season.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Superstar goalies are tough to handle. Do the Blue Jackets want to pay Bobrovsky 8.5-10.5 million for 7-8 years? I'm not entirely sure I'd do it, but I wouldn't blame the Blue Jackets for extending a Hart calibre goalie.

He has a full NMC, so it would also make a trade unlikely because that final year of his contract is probably worth more to CBJ than whatever minimal return they'd get in a scenario where Bobrovsky was able to call the shots on where he would go in a trade.

If the Blue Jackets do extend Bobrovsky, they need to push hard to not get a full NMC in the back half of the contract and to avoid signing bonuses. Those make it impossible to have any conceivable out if things aren't woring.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think he extends for similar money

Carey Price and Henrik Lundqvist's contract are probably the framework for a Bobrovsky extension.

Henrik received 13.22 percent of the cap on a 7 year deal. Full NMC, with the exception of the first season he has 1M in signing bonuses per season.

Price received 14 percent of the cap on an 8 year deal. Full NMC, significant signing bonuses.

Price's contract is longer and a slightly higher cap percentage, but he was also a bit younger than Lundqvist when it was signed.

So if the cap is 80M next season, that's 10.6M-11.2M for an equivalent contract. I don't thin he's getting that high, but that'll probably be his initial ask, 8 years in the 10.5-11 million range with a full NMC and loaded with bonuses.

8.5M is the absolute lowest I could see the Blue Jackets getting Bobrovsky, and that feels like a very team friendly prediction. It's a tough choice to make because goalies are so volatile and at least currently Bobrovsky is elite. Similar to Lundqvist in New York, and Price in Montreal, the Blue Jackets choice on Bobrovsky will be franchise altering since they'll either marry themselves to him for the better part of the next decade, or walk away from an elite goalie in his prime and have to recover from that.

As far as whether a big contract like that can work out with a goalie, the Rangers marrying themselves to Lundqvist at 13.22 percent of the cap worked out exceptionally well for them. They've been a contender who have done everything short of winning the cup and the remaining 3 years of his contract won't hurt them since they are rebuilding anyways. The book has yet to be written on Price's extension, but the first year has been mostly negative.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
as said above, the last negotiations went rough...and CBJ paid too much...I can't see them going through that again and coming out behind...figure out who is the future, trade/FA/Korpi/Elvis and go from there...

Trade him now and go get either Grubauer or Khudobin and move on and use that money for Panerin and another offensive weapon (tavares?)

Reactions: Dumais

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Don't they both need a first line centre?
They honestly don't have what it takes to get a 1C honestly unless they move werenski or Jones, which they wont. 1C is the most coveted position behind 1D and a sum of lesser parts likely won't cut it

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd stay in Columbus if I were him, it's been going well for him there despite the success of the team. Only way I'd leave if I were him is if a contender that has a good goaltending coach and system can use him as a 1B.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Thats really not that bad. 6-8 years is only 36-38. It all depends on the dollars

Yeah, it depends on the dollars. Can't see it being less than he's currently making, so a deal 8+ taking him to 36 can be a scary cap for a goalie.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Get's them there every year? They've missed 3 times with him in net. They didn't exactly waltz into any of those playoffs either.

Yeah, being a two time Vezina winner means he is elite in the regular season. He steals games. He is certainly a major contributing factor of them making it in there. Pretty odd to assume otherwise?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Yeah, being a two time Vezina winner means he is elite in the regular season. He steals games. He is certainly a major contributing factor of them making it in there. Pretty odd to assume otherwise?

Again, they’ve missed the playoffs 3 times with him in net and he’s never won a round. Plenty of elite to semi elite goalies have at least won rounds for their teams before. Who gives a shit about the regular season? If you’re not good in crunch time it matters.

Reactions: Fro

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Again, they’ve missed the playoffs 3 times with him in net and he’s never won a round. Plenty of elite to semi elite goalies have at least won rounds for their teams before. Who gives a **** about the regular season? If you’re not good in crunch time it matters.

If you don't care about the regular season that's fine. Freidman wasnt walking about him winning a round, he was talking about him getting them into the playoffs.

Rags missed the playoffs twice with lundqvist.
Preds missed twice with Rinne.

Bobs lack of playoff success is certainly a black mark. I'm just not sure why you think the regular season is irrelevant but cite portions of the article that talk about the regular season, then defend your argument with his post season success. If they don't waltz into the playoffs, it stands to reason that his elite stats probably helped them get there.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you don't care about the regular season that's fine. Freidman wasnt walking about him winning a round, he was talking about him getting them into the playoffs.

Bobs lack of playoff success is certainly a black mark. I'm just not sure why you think the regular season is irrelevant but cite portions of the article that talk about the regular season, then defend your argument with his post season success. If they don't waltz into the playoffs, it stands to reason that his elite stats probably helped them get there.

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much into missing the playoffs. But... just to provide some rescue for Lundqvist, Rangers missed the 2010-2011 playoffs with "depth" players like Erik Christensen, Fedotenko, Wolski, Frolov, Matt Gilroy, Prust, Steve Eminger, etc. Don't get me wrong, some of them were good for us, but that was a bad, bad team. And this year, well, management gave up on the team.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't put too much into missing the playoffs. But... just to provide some rescue for Lundqvist, Rangers missed the 2010-2011 playoffs with "depth" players like Erik Christensen, Fedotenko, Wolski, Frolov, Matt Gilroy, Prust, Steve Eminger, etc. Don't get me wrong, some of them were good for us, but that was a bad, bad team. And this year, well, management gave up on the team.

Yeah, I'm just illustrating the fact that, if you're argument is propped up by a goalie missing the playoffs 2 or 3 times, many goalies have done the same. So its not a very strong case.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Again, they’ve missed the playoffs 3 times with him in net and he’s never won a round. Plenty of elite to semi elite goalies have at least won rounds for their teams before. Who gives a **** about the regular season? If you’re not good in crunch time it matters.
Healthy Bob missed playoffs 1 time in 2013 SH season, when he won a Vezina. In 14-15 season he missed 23 games, in 15-16 he only played 37.

Reactions: mikeyp24

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

2 Times since 06 vs 3 Times in 6 years for Bobrovsky. A little bit different.

Oh and he’s won a round or 2 with some pretty bad teams in front of him.

I’m pointing specifically to the quote “he gets them there every year.” That’s false. The last 2, yeah sure. But 3 Times out of 6? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad