Speculation: What will Doug Wilson do at the Draft?

Given Doug's history, what do you expect him to do at the NHL draft?

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I wanted to add, if you are going to trade back, you don't do it exclusively for picks in this year's draft. As much as people would knock it now, I think you trade back for picks in the 2022 draft. Trade the 7th to a team willing to give up multiple 2nds in this year's draft for say, a 1st and 2nd or 3rd next year when the draft class will be much deeper. You could then package those two 2nds in this year's draft and get back into the 1st rd in 2021 if you so choose.

Reactions: themelkman

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I wanted to add, if you are going to trade back, you don't do it exclusively for picks in this year's draft. As much as people would knock it now, I think you trade back for picks in the 2022 draft. Trade the 7th to a team willing to give up multiple 2nds in this year's draft for say, a 1st and 2nd or 3rd next year when the draft class will be much deeper. You could then package those two 2nds in this year's draft and get back into the 1st rd in 2021 if you so choose.
Just don't see that happening. I seriously doubt any GM loves the players in this 1st round over anyone in the 1st of next years draft. Maybe... I just doubt it. Maybe you can get next years 2nd or later from someone but I'll be shocked to see any 2022 1st moved without a good roster player going the other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Just don't see that happening. I seriously doubt any GM loves the players in this 1st round over anyone in the 1st of next years draft. Maybe... I just doubt it. Maybe you can get next years 2nd or later from someone but I'll be shocked to see any 2022 1st moved without a good roster player going the other way.
I'm with you on that. I guess my thinking is, if a team like Detroit for instance drafts Wallstedt and say Eklund is still available, would they be willing to pay the price for back to back picks? I want Eklund, but if the deal is a good deal for us, I'd do it.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I also think it would be awesome if he wore #2 for us. Im surprised not many hockey players wear #2. Its really a cool number in any sport. #2 and #24 are my two favorites.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm with you on that. I guess my thinking is, if a team like Detroit for instance drafts Wallstedt and say Eklund is still available, would they be willing to pay the price for back to back picks? I want Eklund, but if the deal is a good deal for us, I'd do it.
Detroit is in full rebuild, they aren't giving up valuable picks IMO.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Just keep it. He'll be getting a player that can be an important part of the future.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think he'll use the pick, likely on a forward as I don't see Hughes, Power, Clarke dropping. Edvinsson is polarizing, but i wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the teams that love him. In this draft, I think we have a chance to get one of our top 4 listed guys at 7, maybe top 2. If they

The Sharks only hope of competing in the next 3-5 years is through the acquisition of a franchise center. While my first choice is tanking and hoping we luck into Wright or Bedard, Eichel intrigues me. The injury, cap hit, and asking out would reduce the cost. If he bounces back you have a 24 year old franchise center. Unfortunately, the cap is pretty much impossible to navigate with the Vlasic, Karlsson, and Jones contract, but if you traded Meier+1st, you could maybe get away with just moving Simek and Donato on, and buying out Jones. Figuring out Hertl and Ferraro's contracts would be interesting however.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
After the draft, I expect Doug Wilson to congratulate the player and his family, then pat the San Jose Sharks front office on the back for the amazing work and selection they made. :sarcasm:

Reactions: sharski

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think he'll use the pick, likely on a forward as I don't see Hughes, Power, Clarke dropping. Edvinsson is polarizing, but i wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the teams that love him. In this draft, I think we have a chance to get one of our top 4 listed guys at 7, maybe top 2. If they

The Sharks only hope of competing in the next 3-5 years is through the acquisition of a franchise center. While my first choice is tanking and hoping we luck into Wright or Bedard, Eichel intrigues me. The injury, cap hit, and asking out would reduce the cost. If he bounces back you have a 24 year old franchise center. Unfortunately, the cap is pretty much impossible to navigate with the Vlasic, Karlsson, and Jones contract, but if you traded Meier+1st, you could maybe get away with just moving Simek and Donato on, and buying out Jones. Figuring out Hertl and Ferraro's contracts would be interesting however.

Financially it's hard....like you said, buying out Jones and trading Meier for Eichel basically covers Eichel's 10M cap hit. If they move Donato and Simek to Seattle, that gives them ~13M to add 2 goalies (~5M combined), 2 defensemen (Meloche + some vet for ~1.7 combined), re-sign Balcers (~1.3M let's say), and that leaves you 5M to sign a 3C and three depth forwards. It's probably doable to get a 3C for 2.5-2.75M (Nolan Patrick or Strome?) and 3 cheap guys, but I'm not sure a top-9 of Couture-Eichel-Balcers, Kane-Hertl-Barabanov, Dahlen-Strome-Labanc is going all that far especially with a top-4 of Knyzhov-Karlsson and Ferraro-Burns...

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You start a deal around Timo I believe. Timo + Simek + 7th overall + Bordeleau. Simek is basically just a throw in to balance the cap.

I don't think it's all that necessary to throw Simek in to balance the cap. I think the Sharks can toss Simek elsewhere like Boston for that purpose but if Buffalo is okay with it then I'm not going to say no. I also think the Sharks could convince Buffalo to swap Bordeleau for any of Coe, Wiesblatt, Robins, or Merkley.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I don't think it's all that necessary to throw Simek in to balance the cap. I think the Sharks can toss Simek elsewhere like Boston for that purpose but if Buffalo is okay with it then I'm not going to say no. I also think the Sharks could convince Buffalo to swap Bordeleau for any of Coe, Wiesblatt, Robins, or Merkley.
I still think if the Sharks are involved its a 3 way trade that include Couture moving to the third team

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I still think if the Sharks are involved its a 3 way trade that include Couture moving to the third team

Possibly but I find it pretty remote. DW is very much a Couture guy. I don't see the two separating anytime soon. DW will kick tires on pretty much anything but I don't think he'll end up doing much. I don't find the odds to getting Eichel that good. Anaheim seems like the team with the inside track there. I don't see them getting Reinhart either. I think LA gets him. I do believe him this particular time when he talks about getting a 3C and a goalie. I think that's pretty much all he'll do and he'll end up drafting someone with the 7th pick. Who that is? No idea. As long as it isn't Wallstedt, I'll be fine with it. I'd understand a Wallstedt pick but it's not one I'm going to agree with even if he works out somehow through everything that would be against it from the outset. This team has not had much success in developing goalies, which they'd still need to do with Wallstedt as he's not a ready-made NHL goalie. This team with this group of people should probably steer away from anyone that needs development beyond skating.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He is going to trade, jones, vlasic, burns, couture, hertl all in separate trades for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th overall picks in the upcoming draft.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
He is going to trade, jones, vlasic, burns, couture, hertl all in separate trades for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th overall picks in the upcoming draft.

Having played for Chicago, he has to know Mike Ditka and can probably reach out for some advice on crazy draft trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad