Speculation: What will Doug Wilson do at the Draft?

Given Doug's history, what do you expect him to do at the NHL draft?

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
90% chance he uses the pick, 10% chance he is able to package it for Eichel

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Pass.

Really I predict he just uses the pick.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Eklund or Guenther. Don't give up assets to trade up. No sense trading back if both these guys are on the board. Eichel's not gonna be cheap. Deepening my concern in acquiring Eichel is his neck injury. Heres a quote from a SportingNews article

"Of course, Eichel's injury could complicate that.
"What the Sabres are trying to do is say, 'We've got [many] teams interested in Eichel, and we're going to play you all against each other to try and drive up the [trade] value,'" Friedman said. "What teams are saying is, 'Yes, you've got other teams [interested], but he's got an injury. We don't know about the [recovery] process.' ... They also say, 'You guys aren't dealing from a position of strength' in negotiations."

So if DW has done his due diligence on the longterm ramifications of the injury, and the price isn't too steep, I'd say go for it.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I'm not sure it takes 7OA to get Eichel - I think the contract, injury history and flat cap sort of make him a hard contract to move. As good a player as he is, there really just aren't too many teams that NEED that piece right now and would have the trade pieces to make it make sense for all parties. So that inherently pushes down the total price. Its very similar actually to what we saw with Karlsson. Overall, I think that Eichel would be a piece that DW could go after. Either by moving out Burns or Kane to make cap space. You run Eichel - Couture - Hertl down the middle and you have a very solid skeleton. That's why I think the Kane to Toronto makes sense. You lose Kane + Burns but gain Reilly + Eichel, I think that's a net win to build off for the future. You may need another season or so to really flesh out the wings and support pieces, but I think the concept is sound.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not sure it takes 7OA to get Eichel - I think the contract, injury history and flat cap sort of make him a hard contract to move. As good a player as he is, there really just aren't too many teams that NEED that piece right now and would have the trade pieces to make it make sense for all parties. So that inherently pushes down the total price. Its very similar actually to what we saw with Karlsson. Overall, I think that Eichel would be a piece that DW could go after. Either by moving out Burns or Kane to make cap space. You run Eichel - Couture - Hertl down the middle and you have a very solid skeleton. That's why I think the Kane to Toronto makes sense. You lose Kane + Burns but gain Reilly + Eichel, I think that's a net win to build off for the future. You may need another season or so to really flesh out the wings and support pieces, but I think the concept is sound.
I hope you're right. I hope it's Vlasic, Labanc, Merkley and 2021 3rd & 2022 3rd. :laugh:

But no, Kane isn't going to Toronto. You don't trade the contract that is working out.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
DW Jr has shown a propensity to trade down to stockpile picks. Unless they see someone they really like at #7 or the trade market is really tepid, I would expect them to continue trading down.

I guess the question is whether there's enough demand in the top 10 for teams to trade up.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I put 2021 1st for Eichel because that's what I want to happen. What I think will happen is they move back in the 1st round and add a 2nd round pick. Also probably trades a player for a 3rd as I think he's stocking up this draft. I don't think he gets Eichel. Maybe someone like Gaudreau (hopefully still good) or Nylander who I think would be a great addition to the team.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm usually all for trading down but you're something like 40% less likely to draft a guy who will play 200 NHL games at 15th overall compared to 7th. So if we do trade down into that range we would need at least a late 1st/very early 2nd just to break even on value.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I think we pick a player at 7, hopefully nothing to crazy. Eichel is a pipe dream. But it's possible we trade back.

sub_zero94

Jan 26, 2007
What Doug would do/I'd do, is if a team like VAN(doesn't have to be VAN, but a team in a neighboring draft position) is interested in a player in the 7 slot, offer VAN your 1st plus one of your 3rd's for VAN's 1st plus VAN's 2nd. VAN may even want another 7th from you, fine..
Because I know and y'all know it's killin Doug to not have a 2nd.
This would especially work for SJ and VAN if one of the goaltenders goes really early in the first round which isn't out of the realm of possibility this draft..
And then DW will take McTavish ..
And then who knows, Doug might play with his newly acquired 2nd to trade for a Center or trade up a couple slots.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
execute literally a dozen trades so that nobody can make heads or tails of what the hell you just did or whether it’s collectively a good thing or not

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'm going back and forth between taking a player at 7 or maximizing your asset and trading it for multiple picks. I would NOT trade out of the top 10 unless for really really great deal.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad