What were Kucherov's expectations when he joined the NHL in 2013?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I realized as soon as I saw his tape that he could be this good but it was a matter of if his skill would develop enough for it to happen. I have never been so excited for a player in my life. Not a day goes by where I am not glad it did.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I remember some random posters on the Lightning board who seen him in person when he played in the Q and they were guaranteeing he would be a superstar. We had some stud prospects at the time with lots of potential, but he stood out to me because of how convinced these posters were that he would be great.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Overlooked. Still underrated. We all thought Tyler Johnson was driving that line, lol.

Give me Marty St. Louis - Adam Oates - Kuchiemama

on a line for most continuously undervalued superstars in my lifetime, please.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
He is one of the smoothest players I've ever seen out there on the ice.

Very nice to watch. Not very many players drafted ~ where he was in the second round turn out to be studs like he has.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His playmaking was definitely not on the radar until like 2016. He was always thought of as more of a goal scorer.

It's not like you can say he was always making plays like he does now, it just came from the evolution of his hockey sense as he progressed.
Yeah, for sure. I mean, in hindsight, he was probably the key playmaker with the Triplets. But over time it started to become clear he was processing the game at a different level. And the whole "I'm gonna stand at a dead stop and shred your defense" thing came later.

When you think about it, the playmaking probably started jumping by leaps and bounds when Cooper finally began using him on the PP.

His goal scoring seems in line with early projections, although he seems to rely more on unpredictability now than we thought he would. He always had a very good/great shot, but over time he seemed to get better and better at finding ways to handcuff goalies.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I remember a specific argument when Kucherov was REALLY breaking out about whether or not he could break into the top 10. Lol

I grew up watching those great Red Wings teams. I honestly think Kucherov is the best forward I've ever watched game by game. If he continues for another few years I think he should be somewhere around the top 25 or top 30 all time. At least for forwards, if not all players.

The scoring has just become so crazy consistent. Even when he's playing poorly over all, he will usually put up a point or two with a couple of split seconds of brilliance.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
D+2 The Remparts kept Grigorenko and Sorensen instead of him. To be fair they were 1 year younger.

Sank em in the playoffs 8pts in 4gp with the Huskies. 24pts in 14gp totals (3rounds)

146616-12876366Bk.jpg

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
I was at the game when he scored his first goal on his first NHL shot. I texted my daughter and told her that the Lightning have something special with this kid. Little did I know.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In that draft year, it was rumore button thought both Kucherov and Gaudreau had a chance to be something special and the flames scouts did what they could to hide their interest on both guys. Weisbrod and Feaster didn't do anything to try and get extra picks to draft those guys.

Agree a huge concern for Kucherov was Russian factor. I seem to recall Kucherov said he only considered coming over because a high ish pick was used on him.

It was confirmed in a later interview by button, but I dang seem to find it now.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
At that time, he was seen as a "scoring machine" prospect that was on his way, but just needed some brief development time. The trajectory has been unbelievable though. Not just a PPG guy, but one of the best wingers in this generation and a playoff monster.

Few in the game are like him; very little answers to how he plays the game. He'll find a way to burn you and score on you.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
At that time, he was seen as a "scoring machine" prospect that was on his way, but just needed some brief development time. The trajectory has been unbelievable though. Not just a PPG guy, but one of the best wingers in this generation and a playoff monster.

Few in the game are like him; very little answers to how he plays the game. He'll find a way to burn you and score on you.
The playoff thing is all attitude/will. Very few players hate to lose as much as Kucherov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad