What were Kucherov's expectations when he joined the NHL in 2013?

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm wondering what were the expectations of Kucherov when he entered the league?
On one hand, Kucherov was a 2nd round pick, and he scored 18 points in 53 games in his first season.
On the other hand, he had a VERY good track record pre-NHL. He scored 2 PPG in the QMJHL the year before his rookie season, and he famously scored 3 PPG at U18 in his draft year.

I'm sure he wasn't expected to become the "3rd Best Russian Forward of All-Time" like he is today, but I'm sure he was expected to become a better player than he was in his rookie year.

Let's Discuss.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I seem to recall he got a lot of hype among Lightning fans for his work in Syracuse and formed the Triplets line with Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat around 2014 and after during his early NHL career. The skill level was off the charts when you caught little highlight packs but the hype felt exaggerated a little bit.

Here's an article from 2016, where he "broke out" as a 30 goal scorer and started to move in on Stamkos as far as being the primary offensive weapon on Tampa. After this point he just kept stacking the numbers and evolved into that cup winning, 100 point plus beast he is today.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Kucherov has never changed.

He is (still) the best 16-year-old scorer (in points-per-game) in the history of the main Russian junior league (MHL).

He is (still) the highest scorer in the history of the U18 WJC.

A big scorer in the U20 WJC, the QMJHL, and the AHL.

His teammate Vasilevskiy has said that Kucherov was exactly the same when they played together when they were teenagers.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I seem to recall he got a lot of hype among Lightning fans for his work in Syracuse and formed the Triplets line with Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat around 2014 and after during his early NHL career. The skill level was off the charts when you caught little highlight packs but the hype felt exaggerated a little bit.

Here's an article from 2016, where he "broke out" as a 30 goal scorer and started to move in on Stamkos as far as being the primary offensive weapon on Tampa. After this point he just kept stacking the numbers and evolved into that cup winning, 100 point plus beast he is today.

I think that me being introduced to the full scope of the NHL through NHL 15 made me kind of underestimate Kucherov until the 2017-18 Season.

Since his rating in that game was based off his decent but not amazing NHL rookie campaign, he had a just ok rating (81 Overall with Low Elite Potential)
Hence, I thought his 2014-15 season was initially a fluke.

At the same time, players like Tyler Bozak were an 87 overall in NHL 15, but I was 12 at the time. I wasn't able to recognize that the listed overall was based only on their previous season.

Reactions: Devilsfan2326

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
in 2011 indeed there was some hype due to the U18s record combined with the Russian factor stuff. However between that and 2013 he had a meh KHL stint, shoulder surgery and 6 months recovering from that, moving to the Q and Patrick Roy picking Grigorenko and Sorensen over him.

Solid stint in the Q and decent WJCs still held his hype level at the top prospect level, but not at elite level where Drouin and Vasy were, so he was there in the tier with Connolly and Killorn (behind them as he was considered a bit more risky).

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Kucherov has never changed.

He is (still) the best 16-year-old scorer (in points-per-game) in the history of the main Russian junior league (MHL).

He is (still) the highest scorer in the history of the U18 WJC.

A big scorer in the U20 WJC, the QMJHL, and the AHL.

His teammate Vasilevskiy has said that Kucherov was exactly the same when they played together when they were teenagers.

I thought Michkov broke those records, but I could be wrong.

"Matvei Michkov was playing in his D-2 in a U20 league. He started the year as a fifteen-year-old player, yet he managed to completely set the MHL on fire. He broke the records that Nikita Kucherov set in his D-2 season while being six and a half months younger."

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's honestly crazy what a good performer he is on the powerplay. I think he's better on the powerplay than Malkin ever was, and I'm a Pens fan. He's just an unbelievable passer and his shot is devastating on the pp too.

At even strength I'd take prime Malkin over him no question. Prime Malkin was just a horse. And overall I think I would still take prime Malkin over Kucherov.

But god damn what a weapon this guy is on special teams. And at even strength too, but especially the PP.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's honestly crazy what a good performer he is on the powerplay. I think he's better on the powerplay than Malkin ever was, and I'm a Pens fan. He's just an unbelievable passer and his shot is devastating on the pp too.

At even strength I'd take prime Malkin over him no question. Prime Malkin was just a horse. And overall I think I would still take prime Malkin over Kucherov.

But god damn what a weapon this guy is on special teams. And at even strength too, but especially the PP.
Yeah he's one of the best PP players ever imo. Obviously a great player in his own right but special on the PP.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Kucherov was a 2nd round pick due to the Russian factor of teams not being able to sign a Russian player once picked.

I remember listening to Lightning post draft coverage where they discussed how Yzerman took a gamble picking him in the 2nd as it could be a wasted pick if he doesn't sign and wants to continue to play in Russia.

Some old articles giving background:
‘What’s with all these Russians?’ Behind the scenes of Lightning’s 2011 NHL Draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...front-office-pedigree-in-2011-lightning-draft

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I remember a lot of talk about him being a 30-30 guy. By the time he entered the league we thought closer to 40-40.

The playmaking just kept improving though. I dont think we saw that coming.
This was it for me too. I thought he could be a star, maybe a superstar for a few years - top 10 in pts at his peak.

He blew the lid off of that

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
We were expecting him to be a boom or bust type of pick.

After his first season a few of us called him a future 40 goal scorer but main boards were telling us off. I never doubted he was special, you could see it right away from the AHL. I didn't expect him to be this good though

Reactions: BoltsFanSinceDay1

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Let's see who rewrites history or posts something without proof

The Internet was around so the scouting reports are there
Kuch tore up international play, he also tore up the Q.

I personally watched his line of himself/Andrighetto/JSD give the MacKinnon/Drouin/Frk line a run for their money. The moose swept them, but 3 of those were 1 goal games (excluding ENG)

Maybe casuals thought nothing or little of a 2nd round pick, but those who watched knew how much skill he had. Now, did anyone expect anything like this? Absolutely not, but there was certainly a subsect of fans who knew he had some unique offensive capabilities.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Kuch tore up international play, he also tore up the Q.

I personally watched his line of himself/Andrighetto/JSD give the MacKinnon/Drouin/Frk line a run for their money. The moose swept them, but 3 of those were 1 goal games (excluding ENG)

Maybe casuals thought nothing or little of a 2nd round pick, but those who watched knew how much skill he had. Now, did anyone expect anything like this? Absolutely not, but there was certainly a subsect of fans who knew he had some unique offensive capabilities.
A lot of players tore up the Q.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
A lot of players tore up the Q.
watching Kucherov it was obvious he was going to translate to pro hockey, that line is the only line I saw all year that could match Halifax's juggerneaut.

His IQ and puck skills were unreal, he was like a surgeon out there, he wasn't overpowering he was outsmarting everyone - and his release was so good. Anyone I know who saw those games came away incredibly impressed by everything he did on the ice. He drove that line and almost carried a team that was far inferior to Halifax to a few wins. On paper it was a sweep but in reality those were very close games.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I remember a lot of talk about him being a 30-30 guy. By the time he entered the league we thought closer to 40-40.

The playmaking just kept improving though. I dont think we saw that coming.

His playmaking was definitely not on the radar until like 2016. He was always thought of as more of a goal scorer.

It's not like you can say he was always making plays like he does now, it just came from the evolution of his hockey sense as he progressed.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'm wondering what were the expectations of Kucherov when he entered the league?
On one hand, Kucherov was a 2nd round pick, and he scored 18 points in 53 games in his first season.
On the other hand, he had a VERY good track record pre-NHL. He scored 2 PPG in the QMJHL the year before his rookie season, and he famously scored 3 PPG at U18 in his draft year.

I'm sure he wasn't expected to become the "3rd Best Russian Forward of All-Time" like he is today, but I'm sure he was expected to become a better player than he was in his rookie year.

Let's Discuss.

Personal? I knew he was a franchise player when we drafted him. (Look at my post history if you want verification.)

Team wise? A lot of people thought he had top 6 potential. Was a high reward pick, but many people thought if he hit his ceiling would be a top liner but didn't think it was likely.

Thing is, when you watched him even in world Juniors you could tell his hockey IQ was worlds ahead of his peers. It wasn't a fluke that when paired with two other high IQ individuals, that he became part of the triplet line with Tyler Johnson and Palat. Which honestly felt more like our top line, than our top line did. When he joined them, his production skyrocketed. Eventually he out grew them, was given even more talented line mates, (The best ones we had for him.) then he goes ahead and pots a 128 point season and has been an incredibly productive player for us since.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I thought Michkov broke those records, but I could be wrong.

"Matvei Michkov was playing in his D-2 in a U20 league. He started the year as a fifteen-year-old player, yet he managed to completely set the MHL on fire. He broke the records that Nikita Kucherov set in his D-2 season while being six and a half months younger."

Overall Michkov had more impressive season for sure. He was younger, scored more points and even had better PPG on SKA 1946. But he played 6 games for Varyagi and scored 3+1 so his combined PPG was lower than Kucherov's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad